Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Only 1000 coming to the US. $80k starting point...probably more like $85k or $90k after dealer markup. It's probably more aligned with the Lotus Evora / Evora S.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
It's a sweet looking car and nice concept, but at that price... Better add a little more and get a Ferrari. It'll probably be same unreliable, but with better name :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
You'd have to add a lot more to get a Ferrari with any sort of warranty remaining, let alone new.

Oh, and the old cliche about Italian cars being unreliable is just that, old. 20 years ago you might have had a point, these days the build quality is much better, particularly the engines.

The 4C was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the Cayman, something more around the $50k mark, but I guess the marketing and sales guys got carried away.

The 916 GTV was a great looking car and should have been replaced with something looking like the 8C, but they decided to make that a limited run carbon fibre thing and replaced the GTV with the Brera which was heavy and slow. The 4C looks like it will go the same way, becoming limited by price rather than being an affordable fun car, which is what Alfa's should be.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carbon Fiber chassis @ 960kg... thing must feel like a go-cart... provided it's not built by Chrysler. That would be an instant turn-off for me...

If it were closer in base price to a 981 I might be tempted to consider it but if they're really starting at $80k USD then forget it

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
At 20 British tonnes - 40,000 pounds, we would be looking at about $80K with currency conversion rates. But the article says the Brit price is right in Cayman territory.
We don't get rogered by huge sales/VAT taxes like our poor ROW brethren. So I'm hopeful, 'cause I liked both my old Alfas.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll venture a prediction that it won't sell anywhere near the number of Caymans based on a full year of sales.
I think the market it aims for is narrower vs the cayman. Design is just more pure sportcar (need4speed) design. Where the cayman is a also a classy type car for DD.
As proof, my (much) better half loves the new cayman and will use it as a DD, never in a million years she would do this with the 4C or GT86 type design.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'll venture a prediction that it won't sell anywhere near the number of Caymans based on a full year of sales.
The last full years of Cayman sales were under 1400 units. With Lotus not paying their suppliers, therefore current production has halted, I doubt Alfa will have any trouble selling all 1000 4C's allocated to North America. I'm hopeing Maserati builds a quality 4C.;)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The last full years of Cayman sales were under 1400 units. With Lotus not paying their suppliers, therefore current production has halted, I doubt Alfa will have any trouble selling all 1000 4C's allocated to North America. I'm hopeing Maserati builds a quality 4C.;)
I agree that Lotus' future is worrisome, but I don't believe this is true, unless Lotus is photoshopping the pictures they post every week on Twitter and FB of cars going to dealers. What's new??? | Facebook

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm interested to see how it turns out. At 50k USD it would be a serious contender. At 80k the 981 seems much more attractive.

Perhaps the 4C and F-type lie on either side of the 981 in terms of luxury?

If it's as hard to get into as an Elise then it's going to be a hard sell for anyone not looking for a track toy.

Italian Reliability may be on the up, but Alfa Romeo didn't fare very well in the last Reliability rankings I saw.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds like the fully-loaded, limited edition 'launch edition' will be about $78k US. The standard production model will be less. (however, it seems it will be more than the $45-50k initial estimates)

Performance should be very similar to the Cayman S.

Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm interested to see how it turns out. At 50k USD it would be a serious contender. At 80k the 981 seems much more attractive.

Perhaps the 4C and F-type lie on either side of the 981 in terms of luxury?

If it's as hard to get into as an Elise then it's going to be a hard sell for anyone not looking for a track toy.

Italian Reliability may be on the up, but Alfa Romeo didn't fare very well in the last Reliability rankings I saw.
I don't see how it's realistic to expect an italiian sports car that goes 0-60 in 4.5s to sell for 50k.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The wheels are butt ugly and I'm no fan of the headlights, other than that the car is drop dead gorgeous. I'd buy a 4C over a 981 at the same price easily :dance:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think the entire design is unappealing and rear visibility looks to be severely limited.

Interested to know the HP and torque numbers from the turbo four engine.

Note that the car only comes with a dual clutch trans, no MT. That's the future for Porsche as well...

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The launch version is a limited production. 500 coming to U.S.
Anytime I see the words "limited production" on a new model... I assume that the market study has failed to show a case where the car could be profitable, and instead they are just running one production batch to get back some of the development money (Lexus LFA, comes to mind).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts