Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get some insight from this great group of people.

Own Base Cayman 2007 - bought new.
Getting close to 100,000 miles and it's just been a fantastic car!

Recently and mostly during summer hot months and driving slow or turning.
I notice a creaking sound like an old boat - there is no other way to describe it.

Porsche says probably need to change all struts/components front and back.
Estimate $5,000 or something ridiculous like that...

Sprayed some lubricant up there and it helped for a short period of time but didn't last.

Any thoughts?
Do I really need to spend this amount of money?
Or do I just blast the music when going slowly on turns?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hard to say as some cars do have dampers going after even 50,000 miles.

That said, most likely just some bushings or bearings. Hard to diagnose unless we are doing this in person ...

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
It's probably the strut bearing. One went bad on my 987.2 while the car was still under warranty. Several other members of this forum have reported the same thing.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
It's probably the strut bearing. One went bad on my 987.2 while the car was still under warranty. Several other members of this forum have reported the same thing.
GFS & enviro:

I've had strut bearings go. They make a grinding noise when you turn or a clunk when you go down a driveway.

Took my CS on a big trip out west last year. When I got to Nebraska or so (hot out) the suspension started making these rubber on metal type squeaking noises. When I got to Denver, it was really loud. Thought I'd have to replace something, but there was no looseness or any other problems. It was just this rubber. I think it might be sway bar bushings that need to be removed and re-greased. They need to slip. Moving at a crawl on sort of bumpy streets and such was the worst. We went through CO and up to Billings, MT. Did Bear Tooth Pass 3 times and really pushed the car up there...no hint of a functional problem but when we slowed down, the noise remained...

....until I got back to the Midwest. I just went away. Haven't heard it since. I think the dry, hot air out there had something to do with it.

My suspension is heavily modded....Damptronic coil-overs, TPC springs and hats, TPC sway bars, SS brake lines, Tarrett rear toe links, TPC suspension brain-box.

So...I don't think it's your shocks making that noise. It is either sway bar bushings or front control arm bushings. Sway bar bushings are easy...but don't just squirt something at them and think it'll work, it won't. The bar has to be removed from the ends (you can leave it in the car, so you shouldn't have to remove anything else. The bushing holders need to be removed and then put a thick coating of synthetic grease on the bar and on the insides of the bushings. Then replace everything.

If it's the front control arms, you may want someone else to deal with it.

I'd also suggest you find a very good NON DEALER Porsche shop and make friends. When you're car gets to be 5 years old, the dealer is not your friend. They throw expensive solutions at you until you cry uncle and buy a new one. The non-dealer tech makes his living on older cars so he's going to have his incentives in a better place. (My theory anyway. I have been to a real Porsche dealer exactly once (excluding Parts Dept visits). They replaced a light-bulb in the passenger's door clip while I waited. The bill was $120.

I know I'm a little late on this response and you're probably driving a new GT4 by now, but maybe someone else can use this info.

:cheers:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Same deal with mine. Sounded like an old wooden boat. I'm not sure what the specific component is but I sprayed wd40 with a long extension, up at the top of the front struts at the rubber boot and whatever sits nearby. Just turn the wheel to envision it. The noise was only from the front when turning. Started around 40k miles. I now have 82k miles and have repeated the proceedure three times. Front end is tight. Drives great. All quieted down within a minute after spraying.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mine creeks too. '07 2.7 w/135k. It has actually come and gone but it's back. I'm going to start with a spray can :0

·
Registered
720 Posts
GFS & enviro:

I've had strut bearings go. They make a grinding noise when you turn or a clunk when you go down a driveway.

Took my CS on a big trip out west last year. When I got to Nebraska or so (hot out) the suspension started making these rubber on metal type squeaking noises. When I got to Denver, it was really loud. Thought I'd have to replace something, but there was no looseness or any other problems. It was just this rubber. I think it might be sway bar bushings that need to be removed and re-greased. They need to slip. Moving at a crawl on sort of bumpy streets and such was the worst. We went through CO and up to Billings, MT. Did Bear Tooth Pass 3 times and really pushed the car up there...no hint of a functional problem but when we slowed down, the noise remained...

....until I got back to the Midwest. I just went away. Haven't heard it since. I think the dry, hot air out there had something to do with it.

My suspension is heavily modded....Damptronic coil-overs, TPC springs and hats, TPC sway bars, SS brake lines, Tarrett rear toe links, TPC suspension brain-box.

So...I don't think it's your shocks making that noise. It is either sway bar bushings or front control arm bushings. Sway bar bushings are easy...but don't just squirt something at them and think it'll work, it won't. The bar has to be removed from the ends (you can leave it in the car, so you shouldn't have to remove anything else. The bushing holders need to be removed and then put a thick coating of synthetic grease on the bar and on the insides of the bushings. Then replace everything.

I'd also suggest you find a very good NON DEALER Porsche shop and make friends. When you're car gets to be 5 years old, the dealer is not your friend. They throw expensive solutions at you until you cry uncle and buy a new one. The non-dealer tech makes his living on older cars so he's going to have his incentives in a better place. (My theory anyway. I have been to a real Porsche dealer exactly once (excluding Parts Dept visits). They replaced a light-bulb in the passenger's door clip while I waited. The bill was $120.

I know I'm a little late on this response and you're probably driving a new GT4 by now, but maybe someone else can use this info.

:cheers:
Moving to a crawl on slight bumps Six, I've got those noises too. Can't hear sounds from outside the car, only inside. Mine's a clank, clank type noise. Any DIY suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
GFS & enviro:

Moving to a crawl on slight bumps Six, I've got those noises too. Can't hear sounds from outside the car, only inside. Mine's a clank, clank type noise. Any DIY suggestions?
Turk:

On my epic western journey, I had rubber squeaking noises when I hit even very small slow bumps. That fixed itself when I hit Iowa on the interstate. SD and west the noise was there and quite loud. Iowa and east it was gone like magic. I did nothing to fix except change longitude. I think heat and dry air contributed. Think the root cause was sway bar bushings. There was no knocking noise, just loud squeaking.

Later, I got knocking. Also have a spring groaning noise when the steering wheel is turned.? Was first told that it's typical coil-over behavior.

Took car to my tech and they found no rebound damping at all on the right Damptronic strut. Car is in the shop on a lift waiting for Bilstein to inspect the struts...two weeks and counting. I stopped over there and they showed me the TPC upper strut hats bearing/camber plate. Strut bearing rusted solid on it.

The non-moving bearing, to me, solves the spring/groaning noise. Lower strut pivots when I steer. Upper is solid. Spring must then turn in its perch creating the groan. Knocking of right side strut and rebound failure could be from shock piston turning every time I turn the steering wheel. They are not designed to be rotated on the rods like that.

TPC has been no help. Their strut bearings are put in to their plates with green Loc-Tite. That's the permanent stuff no one uses! These probably can't be removed. Plates were extremely expensive and TPC didn't even have the special wrench to remove the locking nut for the bearings. They buy the plates from someone else. They gave a phone number that led to more run-around. Basically no one has this wrench. We'll have to make our own.

I was told verbally by the TPC boss in his race trailer at Road America that these bearings could be changed easily if they ever failed...but they never would because they are super strong roller bearings. Well, they failed. All it took was a Chicago winter.

Lesson learned. TPC stuff is tested on race cars, not on the street. They make a lot of claims for their stuff that may not end up to be true for street cars.

I love their sway bars. Do not love their strut hats and bearings. Also do not love the customer service I've seen so far on this.

My car has been using up a lift in my tech's garage during the busiest season of his year waiting for Bilstein and TPC. This will get sorted but I'm very disappointed with TPC at the moment.

Reactions: SS Twin
1 - 9 of 9 Posts