Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cayman in Shanghai China,

1.Recently I went overseas for a month, came back and the car is dead, seems the battery is not holding the charge, I told my wife to drive it once a week to keep the battery alive but she didn't have time. Shanghai can get very hot, up to around 39-42C/100F+, does the hot/extremely cold weather impact the battery life that much?

2.Also I've asked a friend and he said if I don't drive the car for a long period of time (3-6months) I should disconnect the battery and stow it away from electrical devices. Will this maintain the battery life and keep it dormant until I get back and not come home to another dead battery?

3.But the dealership is saying I need to replace it every 2yrs or so, and checked with a shop that services high end vehicles and said it also needs to be changed every 2-3yrs, the non-porsche dealership said they can supply me with a replacement that is not Porsche brand but equivalent at about $1-200USD.

I've also did some research and found out that they said

"Before replacing any battery due to a failure, have the battery and the car's electrical system tested for proper functioning. Replacing a dead battery only to have another a few weeks later due to a weak alternator or a parasitic drain on the system is not only frustrating but can be expensive and dangerous as well.

An average battery should last 3-5 years in average climates but those in high heat or extreme cold areas may last only 2-3 years. The replacement battery should always have the same or higher CCA rating (cold cranking amps) as the original and be of the same or compatible "group size" to fit the battery tray and cable connections."

taken from: Porsche Electrical Systems - Facts & Repair Advice

4.Any advice on what I should do?
A. replace the battery w/ a porsche brand that will cost me about 50% more of the cost
B. replace the battery with an equivalent brand for cheaper to get me through a few months (I will be leaving the car unattended for another 6-12months while I'm working overseas)
C. go back to the dealership as they probably sold me a weak or used battery.

Things here are extremely cheap on imported goods so I'm trying to watch what I can afford and not afford to fix.

Just to make it clear about my situation, there is nowhere to buy a set of jumper cables or portable car battery within 100miles radius. I have searched everywhere, VW/Buick/Lambo/Toyota Dealerships and NONE OF THEM have jumper cables or portable battery starters.

When I go back to the US in a few months I plan on bringing 2 heavy duty jumper cables and a battery......

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Most of your questions have already been addressed. Do a search on battery maintainers for a start. If you don't drive the car frequently you need a maintainer (not a charger). If you have trouble finding all the previous posts pm me.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I have a Cayman in Shanghai China,

1.Recently I went overseas for a month, came back and the car is dead, seems the battery is not holding the charge, I told my wife to drive it once a week to keep the battery alive but she didn't have time. Shanghai can get very hot, up to around 39-42C/100F+, does the hot/extremely cold weather impact the battery life that much? . . .

When I go back to the US in a few months I plan on bringing 2 heavy duty jumper cables and a battery......
The problem is not the weather, but the fact that there is a constant draw on the battery even when the ignition is off - from the key fob remote sensor, and the security system if you have the car locked. Even a new battery can be depleted within a month, if you don't drive it, and especially if you leave it locked, or with any other items drawing current plugged into any of the 12 V outlets.

If your battery is completely dead, but only a couple of years old, you probably should be able to recharge it with a battery charger - ideally you should take it to a shop where they can check how well it is holding a charge, but I think it should be good for another year or 2 if you get it fully recharged. (Mine is nearly 4 years old, and still going strong)

As Santa Fe suggested, what you really need is a battery maintainer like the Battery Tender, or the CTEK Battery Charger (similar to the one that Porsche sells under their name, but a lot cheaper) - just hook it up before you leave on an extended trip, and your car should be good to go when you return.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Also check water level. The battery looks sealed but it is not. Peel away the adhesive tape to find caps. I also recommend the CTEK charger.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
OK. Here's what I've got. My CS has not had a problem, but my wife's '06 MB CLS HAD a chronic battery issue since purchase. If it sat for 4-5 days or more, I would get a low battery warning (convenience functions unavailable) every time upon starting. On several occasions we had to jump start the car. It went into the dealer once or twice and they found no problem with the charging system, etc. We religiously tried to drive the car every 2-3 days, but still would get the low batt. warning all the time (would go away after 5-6 miles). Later when I got my CS, I purchased a battery charger from the dealer... the little one with the Porsche stuff on it, for $150! Anyway, we had a road trip in the Porsche planned in August and would be away for 7-8 days. So, I got the little clip line (needed for a MB since no sockets are hot) and plugged in the charger, hooked up to the battery in the trunk. The car stayed on the charger for about 10 days total. Know what? Haven't had a low batt. warning since and haven't driven the car any more than before. Seems like it may just take a looonnng time to fully charge these things, but if you've got the time, give it a try before spending 100s of $$$ on batteries, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts