Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had both rear tires on my 2014 Cayman wearing badly on the outside edges - has anyone experienced similar problems?

I've done 10k miles but judging by the wear it looks like its been misaligned for some time. I've never kerbed the wheels, roads are smooth as butter round here and can't helieve I've knocked the alignment out equally on both rear tyres.

I'm convinced the car was set up with a positive camber from the factory which has caused these issues - can anyone advise as the dealers claiming they only warranty an alignment for 600 miles so I'm expected to pay for the alignment and suck up the comprimised lifespan of the tires.

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Alignment issues and warranty coverage thereof are covered in your manuals. I'd suggest you read them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alignment issues and warranty coverage thereof are covered in your manuals. I'd suggest you read them.
Thanks I'll refer to them. I've read some people have received cars where the factory set alignment has been off, can anyone chime in here if this has happened to them?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
"Half a Bubble Off"

Curious, myself. Yesterday afternoon I noticed that the indicator-band at the top of the steering wheel was not centered when driving straight. it's offset perhaps about half of that band's width to the right (opposite of what, AFAIK, would be compensating for any crown in the road). Mind you, I've had the car FIVE MONTHS and just noticed it. Also, on my commute, the TPMS shows the pressure coming up 2 PSI, usually from 30 to 32, during the drive on three of the tires together, the LF lagging behind a couple of miles and then settling in to match the others. It occurred to me that the car could be the slightest bit out of alignment.

I could take it to the dealer, 30 miles away to get it inspected. Or should I simply trade the car in?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I had an alignment issue from delivery, it was pulling to the right a bit more than I thought was acceptable. I brought it in a little over a month after delivery and had about 1,400 miles. Dealership found it was out of spec. So, they performed alignment and now it tracks straight. Dealership didn't charge me. It was covered under warranty. Since you have 10k on it, I'm guessing they'll just assume pilot error.

Either way, I'm not totally convinced the dealership is the best place to have it aligned. My dealership didn't provide me with before and after spec sheet. So, I have no idea what or how much was adjusted. Oddly enough, after the alignment my car seems to me more prone to tramlining and seems a bit twitchy. For example, while I'm changing lanes on the highway and as I'm rolling over the lane markers, there's a abrupt (maybe too strong of a word) tug in the direction I'm going. Who knows?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thanks I'll refer to them. I've read some people have received cars where the factory set alignment has been off, can anyone chime in here if this has happened to them?
Happens.

It happened to me. I took delivery of my new 2008 Cayman S (which I bought with no test drive -- how is that for living dangerously?) and after just a day I realized the alignment was not right.

Back to the dealer and the service manager initially balked when I wanted the alignment done. I offered to pay for this if the tech found the alignment with spec but I expected it to be free if the tech had to make any adjustment. The SM then asked me when I bought the car and I told him just the day prior. (So much for the belief the service department in cahoots with the sales department...) He said he'd have the tech check the alignment and there would be no charge regardless of what he found. Very shortly I spotted the car -- speed yellow is hard to not spot -- on the alignment rack with the tech madly adjusting away. After he was done I took the car out for a test drive and instantly noted the improvement.

In your case too much time has passed, too many miles have been covered, probably for any alignment to be done at no cost to you. Generally it is 90 days and not too many miles though it varies some. And the dealer of course has some leeway to the point he can do the alignment for free if he wants to.

Also, with the worn tires the alignment will probably not turn out as well as it would with new tires. My advice is to replace the tires and then get the car properly aligned. Be sure you get before and after printout of the numbers. My guess is you'll see the toe was way off.

Oh, before you take the car in read the manual about what are the prerequisites for an alignment. From memory the car wants to be emptied of junk (dead weight). If the car is equipped with a spare tire/tool kit these want to be properly stowed. Fill up the gas tank. Be sure the tires have the proper inflation pressure. Check them cold. Be sure you specify you want the steering wheel centered.

You might speak with the service manager, show him the bad tires, and see if he would give you some goodwill on the alignment.

Oh, let me mention that in my car's case I'm not convinced the car was aligned badly at the factory. What I have observed at many dealers is new cars are moved around on the lot -- every sales manager I have met believes the only thing a car needs to sell promptly is being parked at the right location -- and as a result new cars are driven up and down curbs when moving the cars into and out of the showroom or on to or off of the forecourt that encircles the showroom. Even though the curbs are driven over at slow speed this side loads the heck out to the car's suspension and steering and I attribute bad new car alignment to this more than I would to the factory botching the job.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fwiw, a local Porsche dealer recently quoted me $250 for an alignment. Considering it's Porsche service, I don't think that's too bad a price. I expected $300 or more. My CS has about 6K miles, they told me the rear was a bit out of alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts