Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/caymangt4confirmedthumb.jpg Porsche has confirmed the existence of the Cayman GT4 through it's driving experiences program (See: https://www.porschedriving.com/experiences/driving-experiences ) by including the Cayman GT4 on the list of available, or soon to be available, models. We've reached out to Porsche to inquire about what programs the Cayman GT4 will be a part of and will let our members know if we receive any additional information. At this time it is not possible to sign up for any events that utilize the Cayman GT4, but there are other programs that include the Cayman which are currently available such as the Build Your Own Course with the Cayman S program for $350.00 for 3 hours.

Link to larger image here: http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/caymangt4confirmed_original.jpg

Ongoing discussion of the Cayman GT4 is here: http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/81392-cayman-gt3-gt4-testing-complete-production.html

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
There is a thread on the GT4 here:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/81392-cayman-gt3-gt4-testing-complete-production.html

Should post there. The Mods don't like when you start a new thread on something that is already being discussed.
I rolled on the floor laughing at that one....but I think now that we have pretty good evidence that the name of the car will be a GT4 and not a Cayman R or Cayman GT3, perhaps a new thread of endless speculation and rumour is warranted.

That said, I think naming the car a GT4 instead of a R bodes well for a larger jump up in HP and performance than the typical Porsche incremental approach. Wouldn't you guys agree?

I hope they make a Boxster GT4 but probably not since the GT4 is going to be racing oriented.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
just checked the link --- looks like the GT4 option has been "taken down" from the list...

Now if that isn't just like Porsche for teasing us ??
D

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Porsche has since taken the Cayman GT4 off of this site. Maybe it was someone's mistake for letting the "cat out of the bag".

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Porsche has since taken the Cayman GT4 off of this site. Maybe it was someone's mistake for letting the "cat out of the bag".
You are correct, Porsche has now pulled the reference to the GT4 along with some of the classes that were previously listed. I suspect this was a big "oops" by someone on the web team...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Porsche is just being strategic. Imo, the leaking was intentional, just to build up the excitement and anticipation. I used to work for a "small" corporation in the Bay Area, when that phone was leaked before its release date, it just increased people's desire to own it even more.

Reactions: Alpha.GT4

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Porsche is just being strategic. Imo, the leaking was intentional, just to build up the excitement and anticipation. I used to work for a "small" corporation in the Bay Area, when that phone was leaked before its release date, it just increased people's desire to own it even more.
I somehow think that there are just a few more Apple fanboys out there than Cayman fanboys, but that's just a guess on my part.... :) :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I somehow think that there are just a few more Apple fanboys out there than Cayman fanboys, but that's just a guess on my part.... :) :)
Yes, indeed. Even with Porsche, there are more 911 fans out there than 981 fans
I am a fan of the "new generation" Cayman, not a fan of 911 (sorry, I might get roasted for saying this). The other day, one of my clients told me " Cayman is a poor man 's Porsche". I major in Aircraft design engineering, and have a commercial pilot license. So I replied, by his definition, Bugatti Veyron would be poor man's Private Jet.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Hey we got mentioned in Road & Track!

Porsche accidentally confirms awesome Cayman GT4 - Road & Track

Rumors about a razor-sharp Cayman GT4 for hardcore track day enthusiasts have seemingly been confirmed from an unlikely source: Sharp-eyed members of the Planet-9 Porsche enthusiast forum found the Cayman GT4 briefly listed on the Porsche Driving Experience website.

It’s gone now, but for a brief period of time if you went to the Driving Experiences website, you could select a hands-on driving course custom-tailored to the hottest Cayman that doesn’t exist yet.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Yes, indeed. Even with Porsche, there are more 911 fans out there than 981 fans
I am a fan of the "new generation" Cayman, not a fan of 911 (sorry, I might get roasted for saying this). The other day, one of my clients told me " Cayman is a poor man 's Porsche". I major in Aircraft design engineering, and have a commercial pilot license. So I replied, by his definition, Bugatti Veyron would be poor man's Private Jet.
Well, the 911 is an icon, a car that is on your wall when you were a kid. It's a lot older than the 981, and it's what Porsche is known for (slowing changing to expensive SUV's). Most people dream of owning a 911, I don't think anyone dreams of owning a 981. Before the 981 came out, I had absolutely no interest in the 986/987. The 981 changes that for me, if the 981 didn't look like it does now. I might be driving another 911 but a convertible.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Well, the 911 is an icon, a car that is on your wall when you were a kid. It's a lot older than the 981, and it's what Porsche is known for (slowing changing to expensive SUV's). Most people dream of owning a 911, I don't think anyone dreams of owning a 981. Before the 981 came out, I had absolutely no interest in the 986/987. The 981 changes that for me, if the 981 didn't look like it does now. I might be driving another 911 but a convertible.
I think that to many the 911 has "evolved" into a car we no longer covet. A strong case can be made that the Cayman 981 GTS and certainly Cayman GT4 is more of a pure 911 than the 991.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Hey we got mentioned in Road & Track!

Porsche accidentally confirms awesome Cayman GT4 - Road & Track
Rumors about a razor-sharp Cayman GT4 for hardcore track day enthusiasts have seemingly been confirmed from an unlikely source: Sharp-eyed members of the Planet-9 Porsche enthusiast forum found the Cayman GT4 briefly listed on the Porsche Driving Experience website.

It’s gone now, but for a brief period of time if you went to the Driving Experiences website, you could select a hands-on driving course custom-tailored to the hottest Cayman that doesn’t exist yet.

So much for their research department; Rennlist had it 14+ hours earlier. Guess you can't believe everything you read.

:hilarious:

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So much for their research department; Rennlist had it 14+ hours earlier. Guess you can't believe everything you read.

Or maybe we had it earlier than Rennlist but chose not to publish it until later after conversations with Porsche? Hmmmmmmm could be...... or maybe Road and Track just loves us more?

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Or maybe we had it earlier than Rennlist but chose not to publish it until later after conversations with Porsche? Hmmmmmmm could be...... or maybe Road and Track just loves us more?
1) R&T wouldn't have known that.
2) You budding up to Porsche after your recent survey thread and et al.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
What's not to believe? R&T didn't say anything about P-9 finding the info first.

And really, was the pedantry really necessary, Buzz Killington? :)

Reactions: K-Man S

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have owned a 911 and dreamed of owning one prior to having it my garage. However, I can assume you that some of us dreamed of owning a 981. Maybe not when we were 14, but I did almost every night from when I wrote the check and placed the order until I go the call to come pick up my car.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I think that to many the 911 has "evolved" into a car we no longer covet. A strong case can be made that the Cayman 981 GTS and certainly Cayman GT4 is more of a pure 911 than the 991.
I agree, the 991 has gotten a bit chunky, most 991 owners will tell you it's more GT .than sports. What makes the 911 unique to me is the backseats, I have two boys 6 and 11 that I take to school occasionally in my 911

I have owned a 911 and dreamed of owning one prior to having it my garage. However, I can assume you that some of us dreamed of owning a 981. Maybe not when we were 14, but I did almost every night from when I wrote the check and placed the order until I go the call to come pick up my car.
Glad your dreams came true!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts