Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yep. Worst kept secret in the World.....

Edit: I just checked USAA's web site and they also have the GT4 listed in their insurance quote section. You can actually get a quote for insurance on a 2015 GT4. Mine was only $68 extra per month to insure the GT4 (1000 deductible, 3000 miles per year, multi vehicle discount etc).
You know if you go ahead and insure a Cayman GT4 they have build one and deliver it to you... :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry K-Man... didn't have time to search and look at all posts. Thought I'd share rather than keep to myself... got too excited ha ha ha. Will learn how to do quick search... new to this.

Posted several times before already, please do a search or check before re-posting, thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hope this has not already been posted but the link to Road & Track in the post above now provides details and photos for a Boxer GT4 with manual trans being cold weather tested. Published on December 10 2014.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I hope this has not already been posted but the link to Road & Track in the post above now provides details and photos for a Boxer GT4 with manual trans being cold weather tested. Published on December 10 2014.
Link??? Which one???

I found it, it is here: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/g5920/2016-porsche-boxster-gt4-spy-shots/?click=_lpTrnsprtr_4

If it weren't for the bigger brakes I would say it was just a Boxster S with a tequipment bumper/spoiler, but brakes do look bigger, although the trunklid does say Boxster S on it. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
I know to some it may sound silly but I came to know from a first hand source the following:
1) there's no GT4 Boxster. Yes we all saw the pictures but he has the production table for the coming two years of Porsche, and there's no such thing. What we saw is the Boxster 981.2
2) The 991 GT3 RS will be only PDK. It'll come with pit-lane function (launch control from 40 km/hr).
3) all 991 GT3 RS allocations for the Middle East are 100% sold out with a waiting list double the numbers of the set allocations per country.
4) The GT4 Cayman will be only manual.
5) The GT4 Cayman will be 3.8L. And will have a massive LSD.
6) The GT4 Cayman will have hp between the base Carrera and the Carrera S. But a big jump from the Cayman GTS in terms of performance, drive and suspension.
7) Porsche Germany stopped this morning accepting new orders for the 991 GT3.
8) the GT3 RS will have 4.0 L engine
9) the 960 is coming to be shown in 2016 and sold in 2017. It's not built to go after the Ferrari, Lamborghini & McLaren rivals. It's built mainly for a related racing category. And it will slaughter the rivals when it's out on the way.
10) there will be a Carrera turbo, other than the 911 turbo, to be released in the mid-cycle 991 generation.
11) there'll be a 2L 4 cylinder turbo charged Cayman & Boxster in the coming mid-cycle 981 generation. But won't be available in the Middle East.
12) next generation cycle (not mid cycle) all Porsche models will have turbo models along with hybrid models.

Reactions: pmonkey

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know to some it may sound silly but I came to know from a first hand source the following:
1) there's no GT4 Boxster. Yes we all saw the pictures but he has the production table for the coming two years of Porsche, and there's no such thing. What we saw is the Boxster 981.2
2) The 991 GT3 RS will be only PDK. It'll come with pit-lane function (launch control from 40 km/hr).
3) all 991 GT3 RS allocations for the Middle East are 100% sold out with a waiting list double the numbers of the set allocations per country.
5) The GT4 Cayman will be 3.8L. And will have a massive LSD.
6) The GT4 Cayman will have hp between the base Carrera and the Carrera S. But a big jump from the Cayman GTS in terms of performance, drive and suspension.
7) Porsche Germany stopped this morning accepting new orders for the 991 GT3.
8) the GT3 RS will have 4.0 L engine
9) the 960 is coming to be shown in 2016 and sold in 2017. It's not built to go after the Ferrari, Lamborghini & McLaren rivals. It's built mainly for a related racing category. And it will slaughter the rivals when it's out on the way.
10) there will be a Carrera turbo, other than the 911 turbo, to be released in the mid-cycle 991 generation.
11) there'll be a 2L 4 cylinder turbo charged Cayman & Boxster in the coming mid-cycle 981 generation. But won't be available in the Middle East.
12) next generation cycle (not mid cycle) all Porsche models will have turbo models along with hybrid models.
Some quick questions for clarification:

1) No Boxster GT4 but what about a range topper Boxster above GTS?

6) will the power be between that of the current Carrera and Carrera S or the 911.2 versions which will have significant power hikes?

9) I recall rumours that 960 was dead, no engineering capacity with new engines, Pajun and new Panamera (and variants) absorbing these resources

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Some quick questions for clarification:

1) No Boxster GT4 but what about a range topper Boxster above GTS?

6) will the power be between that of the current Carrera and Carrera S or the 911.2 versions which will have significant power hikes?

9) I recall rumours that 960 was dead, no engineering capacity with new engines, Pajun and new Panamera (and variants) absorbing these resources
If you noticed, my post was edited several times as I kept updating it every time I hear something new from him. I was sitting most of the time with the salesman. But the one who revealed the info was far more senior and I promised him to keep his name confidential as I was clear that I can't keep this info confidential.

Some questions he answered, some questions he refused to answer and some questions he transparently said he doesn't know the answer for. Therefore, honestly I don't know the answers for your questions 1 & 2 since it didn't even cross my mind.

As for the 960, he said he knowns personally one of the team members who's working on the 960. And what was published/announced was nothing but politics and games. He declared that the 960 will make use much of the 918 technology but he didn't get into details.

However, he went into details about the 918 telling how technology advanced it is. And he went joking about the P1 that it's lighter and with more hp, yet it cannot maintain its hp as it runs out of juice in (I forgot how many seconds). However, the 918 hp is maintained all the time as tested on the 'ring'.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Hasn't anyone seen the spy shots of the Boxster GT4? Surprised that it's being done as there was no drop top GT2 or GT3.

2016 Porsche Boxster GT4 spied cold-weather testing
We all saw the GT4 Cayman from all angles. Can you find any similarities with the claimed GT4 Boxster?

A convertible GT4 doesn't make sense similar to a convertible GT2 or convertible GT3. We might get a Boxster/Cayman tt though like the cabriolet/coupe 911 tt and the coming soon Carrera tt coupe/convertible.

Reactions: Baystater

·
Registered
199 Posts

Just don't see that as a reality. They would severely limit the cars appeal, and I for one would never by a manual Porsche EVER.

DriverXXX7

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that

1) The PDK is faster on the track
2) Porsche's studies have shown that a manual is only preferred ~30%+/- of the time

So, while the car may be manual std, PDK is opt.

Too much info is still speculation as seen by so many online posts rehashing this stuff.

Disclaimer
I received my info from a friend whose nephew's girfriends uncle knows someone that has connections.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We all saw the GT4 Cayman from all angles. Can you find any similarities with the claimed GT4 Boxster?
The "GT4 Boxster" DOES have the radiator exit in front of the frunk lid, for whatever that means. And it has what looks like a production ready rear spoiler, unlike the .......crude wing of the Cayman GT4.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that

1) The PDK is faster on the track
2) Porsche's studies have shown that a manual is only preferred ~30%+/- of the time

So, while the car may be manual std, PDK is opt.

Too much info is still speculation as seen by so many online posts rehashing this stuff.

Disclaimer
I received my info from a friend whose nephew's girfriends uncle knows someone that has connections.

Amdeutsch hit the nail on the head. With all due respect, there have been a lot of "i know a guy" posts about the GT4, but they contradict each other most of the time. The idea of a 3.8 doesn't make sense for only one platform for one year before everything goes turbo. Whatever happens, you will never see Porsche cannibalize the 911 with a 981. I still say that the GT4 will be a 4cyl turbo so that everyone gets excited about it (barf) before it hits the main production lines. I believe we all will have to eagerly wait and see.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Disclaimer
I saw that coming before writing my post... :(

I'm not in line for a GT4 or holding my breath for it whether it comes in PDK or manual. The 981 will always be a gorgeous car that doesn't meet my need for speed. If you came across my thread in the 911 forum, you'd know I was there for a different animal. Neither I claim to be 'somebody' in the Porsche world, nor I claim to know any 'somebody' in Porsche company. I'm just a 'somebody' who has passion for sports cars and happened to come across info that I found interesting and thought 'somebody' here might find it interesting too.

That's why I started my post with "I know to some it may sound silly..." :)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I saw that coming before writing my post... :(

I'm not in line for a GT4 or holding my breath for it whether it comes in PDK or manual. The 981 will always be a gorgeous car that doesn't meet my need for speed. If you came across my thread in the 911 forum, you'd know I was there for a different animal. Neither I claim to be 'somebody' in the Porsche world, nor I claim to know any 'somebody' in Porsche company. I'm just a 'somebody' who has passion for sports cars and happened to come across info that I found interesting and thought 'somebody' here might find it interesting too.

That's why I started my post with "I know to some it may sound silly..." :)
I appreciated your posts. I read both threads. Of course we all know this is just speculation. Half the fun is the anticipation and rumor mill!

Although I can't imagine Porsche producing a GT4 Boxster. Maybe a Boxster Spyder with the same engine as the Cayman GT4.

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Although I can't imagine Porsche producing a GT4 Boxster. Maybe a Boxster Spyder with the same engine as the Cayman GT4.
HILARIOUS... HILARIOUS... HILARIOUS...

Thank you for your post. I can now go to bed with a smile on my face instead of losing sleep over what's next Wednesday's news. :)

Reactions: subshooter
41 - 60 of 82 Posts