Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Just don't see that as a reality. They would severely limit the cars appeal, and I for one would never by a manual Porsche EVER.

DriverXXX7
+1. After driving a PDK I'll never go back to manual.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know to some it may sound silly but I came to know from a first hand source the following:
1) there's no GT4 Boxster. Yes we all saw the pictures but he has the production table for the coming two years of Porsche, and there's no such thing. What we saw is the Boxster 981.2
2) The 991 GT3 RS will be only PDK. It'll come with pit-lane function (launch control from 40 km/hr).
3) all 991 GT3 RS allocations for the Middle East are 100% sold out with a waiting list double the numbers of the set allocations per country.
4) The GT4 Cayman will be only manual.
5) The GT4 Cayman will be 3.8L. And will have a massive LSD.
6) The GT4 Cayman will have hp between the base Carrera and the Carrera S. But a big jump from the Cayman GTS in terms of performance, drive and suspension.
7) Porsche Germany stopped this morning accepting new orders for the 991 GT3.
8) the GT3 RS will have 4.0 L engine
9) the 960 is coming to be shown in 2016 and sold in 2017. It's not built to go after the Ferrari, Lamborghini & McLaren rivals. It's built mainly for a related racing category. And it will slaughter the rivals when it's out on the way.
10) there will be a Carrera turbo, other than the 911 turbo, to be released in the mid-cycle 991 generation.
11) there'll be a 2L 4 cylinder turbo charged Cayman & Boxster in the coming mid-cycle 981 generation. But won't be available in the Middle East.
12) next generation cycle (not mid cycle) all Porsche models will have turbo models along with hybrid models.
I am grateful for all the information you passed along to us. If you speak to your source again I would apprecite it if you could ask if any future Boxter or Cayman will have a 7 speed manual. Thanks for your all your help with future models so we can plan.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I know to some it may sound silly but I came to know from a first hand source the following:
1) there's no GT4 Boxster. Yes we all saw the pictures but he has the production table for the coming two years of Porsche, and there's no such thing. What we saw is the Boxster 981.2
2) The 991 GT3 RS will be only PDK. It'll come with pit-lane function (launch control from 40 km/hr).
3) all 991 GT3 RS allocations for the Middle East are 100% sold out with a waiting list double the numbers of the set allocations per country.
4) The GT4 Cayman will be only manual.
5) The GT4 Cayman will be 3.8L. And will have a massive LSD.
6) The GT4 Cayman will have hp between the base Carrera and the Carrera S. But a big jump from the Cayman GTS in terms of performance, drive and suspension.
7) Porsche Germany stopped this morning accepting new orders for the 991 GT3.
8) the GT3 RS will have 4.0 L engine
9) the 960 is coming to be shown in 2016 and sold in 2017. It's not built to go after the Ferrari, Lamborghini & McLaren rivals. It's built mainly for a related racing category. And it will slaughter the rivals when it's out on the way.
10) there will be a Carrera turbo, other than the 911 turbo, to be released in the mid-cycle 991 generation.
11) there'll be a 2L 4 cylinder turbo charged Cayman & Boxster in the coming mid-cycle 981 generation. But won't be available in the Middle East.
12) next generation cycle (not mid cycle) all Porsche models will have turbo models along with hybrid models.

Wow!! what a future for Porsche!! Can't wait :D

Does your source accept CV's? I'd love to work with someone like that :hilarious:

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Oddly enough despite supposedly record sales by Porsche in the last quarter, my dealer has a BUNCH of cars sitting around, 7 or 8 Caymans, lots of 911s, heck there is a lime gold Cayman I posted a picture of in another topic that is currently marked down $10,000 (75K to 65K) which seems like a good deal if you want a Lime Gold Cayman... I wonder if sales are softening a bit not only because it is winter but because there is so much speculation about the GT4? (although my dealer has no deposits on one and claims they have no info on such a car)

·
Registered
141 Posts
The average Porsche buyer has no idea about the GT4 and though it is a popular model for Internet dweebs like us, it does not appeal to the mass market. Many Porsche dealers that I've seen have quite a bit of inventory and caymans do not sell well in general.

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Oddly enough despite supposedly record sales by Porsche in the last quarter, my dealer has a BUNCH of cars sitting around, 7 or 8 Caymans, lots of 911s, heck there is a lime gold Cayman I posted a picture of in another topic that is currently marked down $10,000 (75K to 65K) which seems like a good deal if you want a Lime Gold Cayman... I wonder if sales are softening a bit not only because it is winter but because there is so much speculation about the GT4? (although my dealer has no deposits on one and claims they have no info on such a car)
Last point first. My dealer, who I asked multiple times going back to a year ago, said the same thing.

As to inventory, I have maybe 8 dealers within a reasonable distance. I checked this and this is what I found

10 (3 Cayman) 981
8 911

5 (0 Cayman) 981
8 911

3 (2 Cayman ) 981
8 911

Another state

19 (7 Cayman) 981
22 991 and 1 TTS, 2 GT3 (guessing auction cars)

The fact there are more 911 vice 981 in stock doesn't surprise me because some of the counties are the richest in the nation and this ratio is normal. Having 22 991s in stock is no big deal as they probably turn that around in a month.

The fact that Boxsters are in stock in winter isn't surprising.

The fact that so few Caymans are in stock isn't surprising. I rarely see them on showroom floors. They don't sell here whereas I always see 911 and Boxsters.

But the real thing that has struck me since this summer is that of the 24 911s in stock 8 are TTS or TTS Cabrios with MSRPs ranging from $192 to ~$212. I know these are not the same TTS cars as I saw in the summer at one dealer because the colors are different. I find it strange so many expensive cars, yet the same dealers will also have base Carreras in stock. A full 33% of the 911s in stock are TTS cars. That is so strange but seems to be the new norm.

Depending upon the size of the showroom, they will have a Boxster with top down, Cayenne hybrid, Panny hybrid, and a TTS, and another 911 on the showroom floor. Large showrooms show more. Macans, forget about.

No, I doubt the lack of inventory has anything to do in anticipation but more lack of interest. But, of course, this is just one location in the country.

The average Porsche buyer has no idea about the GT4 and though it is a popular model for Internet dweebs like us, it does not appeal to the mass market. Many Porsche dealers that I've seen have quite a bit of inventory and caymans do not sell well in general.
Agreed. Joe Average guy couldn't care less about all the discussion. Its meaningless to him or her. Caymans just sell poorly and I can clearly see from local inventories, the cars sit in inventory or the dealers just don't buy for inventory anymore. Boxsters are different. They always have Boxsters.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Agreed. Joe Average guy couldn't care less about all the discussion. Its meaningless to him or her. Caymans just sell poorly and I can clearly see from local inventories, the cars sit in inventory or the dealers just don't buy for inventory anymore. Boxsters are different. They always have Boxsters.
Actually in 2014, they sold almost as many Cayman as Boxster (ca 3400 vs 3800). Still much less than 911 (over 10k).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here in Germany they sell 4 to 5 times more Boxsters than Caymans.
Main reason, the Cayman is the only car I know where the Coupé is more expensive than the Cab.
Here is around 5k more for the Cayman. Most people decide for the Boxster because they can put the roof down and save 5 grands.

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Actually in 2014, they sold almost as many Cayman as Boxster (ca 3400 vs 3800). Still much less than 911 (over 10k).
Yes, but that number is anomalous in the US due to the early adopters jumping on the refreshed model Cayman model that came late while the Boxster early adopters were about done. I don't know the world wide sale numbers. From Good Car, Bad Car

Boxster Cayman

2008 2982 3513
2009 1909 1966 Recession
2010 2177 1322
2011 1773 1377 EOL 987 Boxster
2012 2894 462 Start of 981 Boxsters EOL 987 Cayman
2013 4579 3383 Early Adopters Boxsters and Cayman (sales start April)
2014 3875 3417 Sales settle down for Boxsters, end of Cayman early adopters

981 Boxster early adopters was really 2013, sales settle down in 2014
981 Cayman early adopters started April, 2013 and 2014. In 2015 the will settle down.

In real life, from what I see day in, day out, Caymans are very rare. Even at the PCA Annual Open house, I counted maybe 8? Boxsters, OTH, were far more numerous. This also be a locality thing.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Yes, but that number is anomalous in the US due to the early adopters jumping on the refreshed model Cayman model that came late while the Boxster early adopters were about done. I don't know the world wide sale numbers. From Good Car, Bad Car

Boxster Cayman

2008 2982 3513
2009 1909 1966 Recession
2010 2177 1322
2011 1773 1377 EOL 987 Boxster
2012 2894 462 Start of 981 Boxsters EOL 987 Cayman
2013 4579 3383 Early Adopters Boxsters and Cayman (sales start April)
2014 3875 3417 Sales settle down for Boxsters, end of Cayman early adopters

981 Boxster early adopters was really 2013, sales settle down in 2014
981 Cayman early adopters started April, 2013 and 2014. In 2015 the will settle down.

In real life, from what I see day in, day out, Caymans are very rare. Even at the PCA Annual Open house, I counted maybe 8? Boxsters, OTH, were far more numerous. This also be a locality thing.
Another point to make as you speculated could be climate related; nicer, more conducive weather.

With the exception of the Spec Boxster PCA racing class (fixed hardtop required) I see more Caymans at PCA events than Boxsters, even in the lower run groups where PCA allows convertibles.

This could also be a difference between the "trackies" and the "wine & cheese, canyon carvers" crowds.

This post probably doesn't meet the "politically correct" criteria. :hilarious:

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Another point to make as you speculated could be climate related; nicer, more conducive weather.
In regards to the ratio of Boxsters to Caymans I see it could easily be the number of Boxsters sold over the years. There are a lot of 10 year old cars around and the ones I saw when I saw 300 Porsches were about all 986 or 987 cars. On the road, again, 986 and 987 cars. I see no 981 Boxsters and Caymans in the wild are rare to non-existent (except the one that was in my driveway). In regards to the ratio of 911s to 986, 987, 981 cars, that I clearly understand as the demographics support a much higher ratio. But still, you see anything from older SC cars to modern TT on the road, a wide range.

They will always sell more Boxsters than Caymans as the ragtop meets the classical definition of a sports car.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you want to see Caymans, drop by a DE event. :drivingskid:

For kicks, I checked the registration from a recent local PCA HPDE with about 149 entries: There were 13 Boxsters, and 15 Caymans. All but 2 of the Boxsters were in the Novice run group, while all the Caymans were in the advanced/instructor group. :taunt:

PS: Looks like there WILL be a Cayman at the 24 Hours of Daytona!

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Mock it if you choose to but the Boxster is a classic sports car.
And nobody said otherwise.

There you go again. Instead of answering the question at hand you ignore, redirect, avoid, etc. If you are going to make bold statements as truth, your version in particular, at least have better answers pat for challenges.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
And nobody said otherwise.

There you go again. Instead of answering the question at hand you ignore, redirect, avoid, etc. If you are going to make bold statements as truth, your version in particular, at least have better answers pat for challenges.
What's the question? I don't understand what you are asking.

what does And "what is your expert and educated opine of 911 #s and spread" mean? Spread between what?

61 - 80 of 82 Posts