Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/g10_thumb.jpg Planet 9 has two reporters covering the Geneva auto show on March 3rd and 4th and we are going to be using this New topic thread to be bringing you the news and information from the show including photos from our reporters on site. I have set up a web gallery to put there photos in, you can find that here: Geneva Auto Show Photos from Planet 9 We will also have information from our reporters and members in attendance at the show throughout this topic thread. Please check back for updates as they occur as I'm currently behind and getting photos uploaded due to challenges in bandwidth and connectivity for our on site reporters. We will be having an interview with Porsche officials that we will video tape and provide here as well. Stay Tuned!

Previously this topic was about the GT4 unveiling video, that original post is here:
I thought I should start our official topic for the GT4 Geneva unveiling which takes place at 11:30 am Geneva time on March 3rd (about 6 hours from now!). This means I have to get up at 4:30 AM my time (Central US) to watch the video feed located on our home page!

Let the discussion begin!

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
He just said the Cayman GT4 will be collectible like the 1972 911 2.7 RS, at least that's what I think his hand signals and actual German really said. :) :)

A PURE RACETRACK VERSION WILL FOLLOW LATER THIS YEAR.... interesting statement...

Is it just me or did that launch speech seem shorter than the 981 speech in LA a couple of years ago AND it had to include the 911 GT3 RS as well. I wonder if they were under a time limit? I'm glad we sent 2 people there to cover the event and talk to Porsche people directly because that speech didn't tell us much other than a pure racetrack version is coming later this year (and I swear he was talking about the GT4 at the time) :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've never watched porsche do one of these before, but that was much less than I thought it would be

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
OK Back to sleep. A bit short on technical details.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Yes, quite short. I presume the actual GT4 GT4 is the race car he is talking about. In order to race in the class, you have to have the street (homologated) version, and the actual race car version.
Like the Cup cars, I would assume?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
215 Posts
If I heard correctly for so early in the morning, it was said that the race track model of the GT4 will appear later in the year!

williamr
That's what it sounded like

·
Registered
903 Posts
In order to race in the class, you have to have the street (homologated) version, and the actual race car version.
Like the Cup cars, I would assume.
Not sure about this as there are Porsche 911's currently racing in GT4. I'm confused.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Short but somewhat sweet ;)

It sounded like the GT4 race car. And while there are 911s in GT4, they are not factory supported I think. Porsche wants to use the GT4 for factory supported (even factory team) teams in GT4.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I like the proportion of the rear wing in the new photos. It's in good proportion to the rest of the car. But the side scoops - a 1968 Shelby KR500 wants them back :(

·
Registered
903 Posts
Short but somewhat sweet ;)

It sounded like the GT4 race car. And while there are 911s in GT4, they are not factory supported I think. Porsche wants to use the GT4 for factory supported (even factory team) teams in GT4.
But GT4 is an amateur series. NOT for factory teams. Maybe it will be like the GT3 Cup cars, that Porsche make a ton of money on selling and supplying parts for.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Here is the re-broadcast of the introduction in English.... Porsche Live

·
Registered
992 Posts
But the side scoops - a 1968 Shelby KR500 wants them back :(
But unlike a Shelby, they are actually feeding the engine intake here and are functional (probably adds measurable power at speed).

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
948 Posts
His reference to a "race track version" being offered later in the year is in line what I heard at the track this weekend. That Porsche was going to build a "track specific or insert my interpretation, a "cup like" car for club racing. In the original announcement last month, Andreas Preuniger said the purpose of the GT4 was to build a less expensive track car. All makes sense. And, I think it will be a success for Porsche putting Club racing within reach of many more.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts