Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who wants to be the first to retro fit the new Cayman GT4 large spoiler on their Cayman 987? :)
I'm thinking that if the 987 hatch width is enough, this is definitely doable. It's the OEM price of the spoiler that will be hard to swallow.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
How has the width of the hatch changed from the 981 to the 987 in the area where the attachment brackets mount? Nice wing, will it fit???

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
That's a good looking wing on the GT4 but I'm sure it's designed with the rest of the Aero on the car in mind. I'd want to go with the GT3 style front bumper/splitter at the very least to balance it out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think one of the forum members had similar wing on his 987, it was heavily customized to mimic the GT3, I forgot the member ID.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I actually like that wing better then the GT4's. Note the GT3 bumper/splitter & dive plans on his car, I think that's what you need to balance the Aero with that big wing. I put canards like those on my 996 and immediately noticed the difference on track.

·
Registered
162 Posts
that wing sits a bit further back than the gt4 one though. the gt4 one sits a bit higher up on the boot lid and makes it a bit more subtle i think

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
FYI, when the factory fits the wing they use different gas lift struts (or whatever they are called) on the hatch to counter the extra weight.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Also, on the GT4 the "bumpers" under the hatch are load-bearing. They are a harder resin and the body under them is reinforced to drive the 100 or so lbs of downforce into the frame rather than the bodywork.

Or so I have read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
323 Posts
I have considered a wing but frankly don't like/want the ducktail base. IMO the GT4 wing is much more tasteful, is OEM Porsche on a Cayman, and wholly appropriate as an update to earlier models. Since it is functional, you would absolutely have to balance it w/ some front aero or adjust it so it no longer makes any appreciable downforce. In time, someone, probably Getty, will make a knockoff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts