Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 1000 miles of break-in period driving, I can report the following impressions:

1. DAILY DRIVER USE - Compared to previous cars I have owned (BMW 1M, BMW E92 M3, 997.2 GTS), the CGTS has worked well. In many ways, it has proven more practical than my 997.2, given its 2 trunks. Obviously, you are limited to two adults, but the storage space has been great. Not as practical than the 1M and M3 with folding rear seats, but slightly better than the 911. Around town, the CGTS is much more comfortable to drive than the 911 (both manual). The auto-rev features makes gear changes less burdensome in stop and go traffic. Suspension on the CGTS seems more adaptable than the 911 (both PASM), offering greater absorption of bumps and surface irregularities in normal mode while maintaining the same tight composure in Sport mode on the Highway. Whether this is a product of suspension settings or the 40,000N/m chassis rigidity I can only guess. With the PASM setup, the CGTS has been less prone to pavement scrapes then the 911. Acceleration is noticeably greater in the 911 when in a pinch. The latter seemed to rocket past traffic, while the CGTS darts about but requires greater anticipation for last-second overtaking maneuvers (408hp vs 340hp). The slight decrease in acceleration does not detract from the enjoyment of the car, but it is a factor for emergency maneuvers when coming from a 911 GTS or 1M.

2. QUALITY - No major issues to report. Wind buffeting with 1 window open is awful at over 60mph. This is unfortunate. The automatic AC ON function during startup is annoying and incomprehensible. No creaks or rattles (yet, but I am holding my breath). The light color leather is holding up well, even while wearing jeans. The plastic trim pieces are of noticeably higher quality than years past, and the step plates have not been prone to scuffing like older Porsches.

3. SOUND - I have not experienced any droning, air leaks, or other acoustic problems in the car. With PSE off it remains very quiet. Usually, it is on however :) It does not get old.

For reference, this CGTS is equipped with 6MT, PASM and PTV, in addition to full leather interior, SS door sills, and front/rear parking sensors. Of all the DD I have owned, it is by far my favorite. It is not perfect, but very close for $76K.

Happy motoring.

·
Registered
358 Posts
A few comments based on my experience...

How does auto rev-matching help in stop-and-go traffic? Doesn't seem relevant to that...

The not-so-impressive acceleration on the street is really a result of the low-end torque, not HP.

The car is not "very quiet" with PSE off in my experience, particularly in sport/sport+ when the symposer is on.

I'm surprised you don't hear any droning - there's a very strong drone around 2,000 RPMs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Halothane-

I have had very similar experiences. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Has the combination of Halothane and the GTS caused any PVC's?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nice review Halo. Your spec sounds very similar to what I plan to order... Good to hear you like it so far.

Could you elaborate a bit on the 'wind buffeting'? Does it go away when both windows are open, slightly cracked, etc? I tend to enjoy driving with the windows down, even at 75+.

In my 135 I can leave the driver's window open at highway speeds and not feel like the wind is too loud...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I found the buffeting goes away if the other window is cracked open a little bit. Come to think of it, I don't own a car that does not have buffeting when only one window is down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the buffeting goes away if the other window is cracked open a little bit. Come to think of it, I don't own a car that does not have buffeting when only one window is down.
Agree with Jim. Just a small crack of the passenger window and the wind buffeting is eliminated.

·
Registered
125 Posts

How does auto rev-matching help in stop-and-go traffic? Doesn't seem relevant to that...

The not-so-impressive acceleration on the street is really a result of the low-end torque, not HP.
Rev-matching helps a little in traffic (frequent shifting) because it also helps smooth upshifts. Rev-match won't let the revs drop below what the next gear requires.

The not-so-impressive acceleration is, IMO, mostly the result of the unnecessarily long gearing (especially 2nd gear). The car's torque-to-weight ratio actually isn't that bad. Another example of Porsche keeping the Cayman down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice review Halo. Your spec sounds very similar to what I plan to order... Good to hear you like it so far.

Could you elaborate a bit on the 'wind buffeting'? Does it go away when both windows are open, slightly cracked, etc? I tend to enjoy driving with the windows down, even at 75+.

In my 135 I can leave the driver's window open at highway speeds and not feel like the wind is too loud...
It's a great car. Zero regrets. You'll love it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rev-matching helps a little in traffic (frequent shifting) because it also helps smooth upshifts. Rev-match won't let the revs drop below what the next gear requires.

The not-so-impressive acceleration is, IMO, mostly the result of the unnecessarily long gearing (especially 2nd gear). The car's torque-to-weight ratio actually isn't that bad. Another example of Porsche keeping the Cayman down.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Rev matching does a good job of holding the rpm during up and down shifting, making the changes very smooth. I agree with you on the gearing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The torque-to-weight ratio isn't bad at high revs (4500-6000 RPMs), but it leaves something to be desired at low revs. Anyway, I think it will all be a moot point next year when Porsche is expected to replace the engines with turbo engines.

·
Registered
566 Posts

The car is not "very quiet" with PSE off in my experience, particularly in sport/sport+ when the symposer is on.

I'm surprised you don't hear any droning - there's a very strong drone around 2,000 RPMs.
I have an MT as well and no droning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Ditto. This is my only disappointment with the car so far. 7th gear, 2k rpm & light throttle to maintain speed there's a definite drone.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Ditto. This is my only disappointment with the car so far. 7th gear, 2k rpm & light throttle to maintain speed there's a definite drone.
So don't keep the car at 2000 RPM :). Heck even my 06 CS standard exhaust has a drone on the interstate at low RPMs in 6th gear, a gear I rarely use. So I drive briskly on the interstate in 4th and 5th, rpms 4-5k , sounds great and keeps decent response at the throttle.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
After 1000 miles of break-in period driving, I can report the following impressions:

... The auto-rev features makes gear changes less burdensome in stop and go traffic. ...

SS door sills...
Nice review, thanks for posting. Hope to eventually add a comparison b/w my 987.1 CS and CGTS...

Two (dumb?) questions:

1. So you leave it in Sports Plus in stop and go traffic? I thought S+ is the only way to get rev matching...

2. What are SS door sills???

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice review, thanks for posting. Hope to eventually add a comparison b/w my 987.1 CS and CGTS...

Two (dumb?) questions:

1. So you leave it in Sports Plus in stop and go traffic? I thought S+ is the only way to get rev matching...

2. What are SS door sills???
Thanks. I put the car in Sport Plus and PASM normal mode for city driving. Forgiving ride, quick response, and smooth shifting. This setup has worked well. The SS door sills are optional stainless steel door sills which are twice as long as the stock option.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts