Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a driver focussed car some of the ergonomics are very poor, but handling and performance can't be faulted. I find it really awkward while on the move to operate the audio without taking your eyes off the road – the buttons are too small and well out of the line of sight, and you have to reach round the gear lever to adjust the volume (car is RHD for Scotland!). There were two steering wheels available with the car when I ordered it – the sports wheel which I chose and the multi-function wheel. The latter is a trade off because while functions are available from the wheel the buttons for the PDK are far from intuitive – in fact pretty horrible - and nowhere near as good as the sport wheel paddles using left to change down right to change up.
For most of my music I'm using a USB flash drive which works really well, but it would be great if I could control the audio with a bluetooth remote or similar. Upgrading to PCM 3.1 with voice control is way too expensive.
Another possibility is to buy an iPod but I don't know if the buttons on the iPod are disabled when it's plugged in via the cable to the USB port- can anyone help? If the buttons do work, then a bluetooth remote controlling the iPod should be possible.
Anone care to comment on using such a remote, or can a bluetooth remote work directly with the PCM? - in fact any help or ideas would be useful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think what a lot of us do is turn it off and let the exhaust be the music. I rarely use the radio in my Boxster and I know many others that are the same way. Bluetooth and phone/iPod is that I do when I do use the radio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think what a lot of us do is turn it off and let the exhaust be the music. I rarely use the radio in my Boxster and I know many others that are the same way. Bluetooth and phone/iPod is that I do when I do use the radio.
Yes I agree if it's just me in the car but when my wife and I go out for a run or on holiday she wants me to drive sensibly and listen to smooth calming music!!

I have my Blackberry connected via bluetooth to the built in telephone preparation, but what I'm talking about is a totally separate bluetooth connection to the iPod which could be controlled by a small remote DLO mix'n'matches iPod FM transmitter and remote control • The Register I don't have an iPod yet so I don't know if you can operate it from the iPod screen or if the lightning connection cable to the USB port disables the screen - any idea? If the iPod can be controlled from it's own screen then I guess the remote will work too. I was looking at purchasing an iPod Touch 32Gb.

I tried a Nexus 7 with bluetooth remote streaming but the music doesn't play without the occasional stutter, and the quality isn't that good. Using a cable and USB connection seems to be the way to go for sound quality.

Any other ideas would be really helpful folks - thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another possibility is to buy an iPod but I don't know if the buttons on the iPod are disabled when it's plugged in via the cable to the USB port- can anyone help? If the buttons do work, then a bluetooth remote controlling the iPod should be possible.
dunno about the bluetooth remote control, but i typically run an ipod cable from the USB slot into my iphone and control all music with my iphone
i was worried about it going into accessory mode when plugging it in, but that doesn't happen at all.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I didn't want the PCM, but what I have is simple and works well. I have an old iPhone that serves as an iPod (iPhone 5 that fell out of my pocket while I was plowing my driveway, got dragged under the plow, left for dead, found using "find my iPhone", replaced because of shattered glass but (!) still works fine) . I leave it in my glove box attached to the aux in port. When I start the car, I just plug in the cable, flick the play list on, and that is it. My replacement iPhone 5s connects automatically by bluetooth and stays in my pocket. I generally keep my music low (to hear the engine/exhaust, I'm an MT driver) and concentrate on the road, I have a bunch of preloaded playlists, and I don't want to fuss with gadgets while driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts