Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
It shouldn't have any issues with that mileage. Car was obviously 'punched' as an 'executive demo', but not used as one, with only 100 miles. But that's better for you. If you cannot get it certified (I'd try;)), I'd probably get a PPI done by an independent party, to make sure there were no issues with that car. Seems strange to find one with so few miles now. The only negative for sure is how much warranty you lost, because it started counting when it was 'punched', and a 2016 car could be hitting on 2 years already. Also make sure the price is right. I paid 10% off for my off-the-truck 2016 almost 1.5 years ago ($90K with $100K MSRP), so you should get more than that for sure, since it's already 1 model year old. I'd also demand an oil change, and possibly a brake fluid change, since they're due every 1 and 2 years respectively (from build date). Check build date on the door. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
About the only problem I've encountered with low mileage cars that have sat on a dealer's lot for prolonged periods of time is with the battery. Some dealers are very conscientious and charge the battery on a regular basis, but most don't. The dealer closest to me would only charge the battery prior to a test drive, and on one occasion I test drove a car whose battery was just charged and the car stalled at a traffic light about a mile from the dealer. The SA told me that the battery was going to be replaced.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It shouldn't have any issues with that mileage. Car was obviously 'punched' as an 'executive demo', but not used as one, with only 100 miles. But that's better for you. If you cannot get it certified (I'd try
), I'd probably get a PPI done by an independent party, to make sure there were no issues with that car. Seems strange to find one with so few miles now. The only negative for sure is how much warranty you lost, because it started counting when it was 'punched', and a 2016 car could be hitting on 2 years already. Also make sure the price is right. I paid 10% off for my off-the-truck 2016 almost 1.5 years ago ($90K with $100K MSRP), so you should get more than that for sure, since it's already 1 model year old. I'd also demand an oil change, and possibly a brake fluid change, since they're due every 1 and 2 years respectively (from build date). Check build date on the door. Good luck.
Exactly what do you mean by "punched." To be exact it has 87 miles so would you still do a PPI with that kind of mileage? I agree with the oil change and brake fluid change, it is about that time.

Also the dealer never said it was an executive demo, I just assumed it is because of the mileage.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About the only problem I've encountered with low mileage cars that have sat on a dealer's lot for prolonged periods of time is with the battery. Some dealers are very conscientious and charge the battery on a regular basis, but most don't. The dealer closest to me would only charge the battery prior to a test drive, and on one occasion I test drove a car whose battery was just charged and the car stalled at a traffic light about a mile from the dealer. The SA told me that the battery was going to be replaced.
I do have the Porsche battery tender, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them to replace it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Is it a CPO car?....Porsche sells all the cars used at their experience centers is LA and Atlanta after a few months as CPO and trust me, drivers beat the living sh!t out of them, for like 10 hours a day, every day. I know...we did!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Is it a CPO car?....Porsche sells all the cars used at their experience centers is LA and Atlanta after a few months as CPO and trust me, drivers beat the living sh!t out of them, for like 10 hours a day, every day. I know...we did!
I did this as well when my car was delivered. Nice to mess up someone else's car instead of your brand new one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Any concerns that I should have with an executive demo 2016 Caymen GTS with less than 100 miles on it? It's a PDK.
Why don't you show all the options as well as the price. That may help understand why it hasn't driven very far. . . .

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Also the dealer never said it was an executive demo, I just assumed it is because of the mileage.
OK, then, is it sold as a new car or as a used car? If sold as new, then you will get your 4 years of warranty - otherwise you need to see if they can CPO it. However, if it is sold as used, then ELP_JC is right, I would still get PPI regardless of how credible is dealer's story about 87 miles old used car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK, then, is it sold as a new car or as a used car? If sold as new, then you will get your 4 years of warranty - otherwise you need to see if they can CPO it. However, if it is sold as used, then ELP_JC is right, I would still get PPI regardless of how credible is dealer's story about 87 miles old used car.
They are selling as new and the in-service date will be the day it is sold (what they said). Not CPO, but sounds like they may be willing to do it.

Edit: Found out that in-service date already started May 31st, so sounds like it was punched. Just shows these salespeople don't know **** about what their selling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Let's assume the worst - it was PEC car (Porsche Experience Center) and it was driven by 16 year olds. At the PE center here in LA that's just ~50 laps on the handling circuit. Even if they used launch control every lap, red lined every shift, and cooked those brakes, I can't imagine real damage being done...especially given it's a PDK. I'd check the tires and rotors/pads for excessive wear and then enjoy the nice discount on a GTS.

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
An early 2016 is due for a brake fluid change I believe (2 year interval). I would ask them to do that as part of the sale. Otherwise I would say that if you have the opportunity to buy a "new" GTS you should definitely go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called PCNA. They said the car was just recently in-service and punched on May 31st, so that means it can and it will be a CPO. And the car allotted to that dealer so it may have been driven by the boss or as a demo.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
You know what happens when you 'a$$-u-me', right? My comments were based on your assumption.

If sold as new, then you will get your 4 years of warranty
That is unfortunately, incorrect. Welcome to the Porsche (and BMW) world, where 'punching' new cars is a rampant practice. Let me explain. Dealers can 'punch' their new cars to make a sale, that immediately starts the warranty... but in order to avoid having to title the vehicle, they instead, make it either a 'demo', or a 'service loaner'. Most 'punched' cars are never used for those purposes, so mileage is typically low (like the one here). But whether they're used as demos/loaners or not, they're almost always sold as 'new' just because they haven't been titled. And very few times they mention warranty has already started, which is a very shady way to do business. They have to disclose it by law, but that usually happens when buyer is signing final paperwork. On the car above, I'd be very susprised if the 'May 31st' date isn't 2016, meaning car has less than 3 years of warranty left. Finally, it always pays to do do some research when such a car pops up. It could be a buy-back car, a Porsche driving school car (although I doubt it), or some other undesirable reason. But I'd definitely spend the time to do that, since if it checks out, and the price is right, it'd be a nice buy. Oh, and the comment about the battery is spot on; I'd demand a new one too. Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the car above, I'd be very susprised if the 'May 31st' date isn't 2016, meaning car has less than 3 years of warranty left.
The May 31st date was this year. This info came directly from PCNA not the dealer so I tend to believe it.

Thanks for the info. I will continue to do my research. This is just one of several GTSs I'm interested in and I will take my time to find the right one.

Thanks all for your inputs on this.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Well, that's just 2 months ago, so not an issue IMO. If after checking everything, from when dealer received car, when it was PDI'd, punched, etc (ask for the service history), to asking dealer point blank if car had any transit damage or something (they don't have to disclose it by law up to certain limit... but if you specifically ask, they should) that was fixed by them or the port, and car checks out, that'd tell me several things: Car hasn't moved because they were asking too much. Car might be harder to sell, due to a high MSRP, a weird color combo, lack of popular options, etc. And most importantly for you, the fact it was already punched, dealer is eager to sell it now. You didn't mention how much they're offering below MSRP, but it should be quite a bit. I'd definitely pursue this one more than any other, since you don't have to worry about many things, including leather/interior wear, cosmetic defects, etc. Plus your warranty is almost intact. Oh, and according to a general manager I talked to last year, new cars cannot be certified; just an FYI. Good luck.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Let's assume the worst - it was PEC car (Porsche Experience Center) and it was driven by 16 year olds. At the PE center here in LA that's just ~50 laps on the handling circuit. Even if they used launch control every lap, red lined every shift, and cooked those brakes, I can't imagine real damage being done...especially given it's a PDK. I'd check the tires and rotors/pads for excessive wear and then enjoy the nice discount on a GTS.
I may be missing something, and if it's CPO, no worries, but a non-CPO car driven as you describe would almost certainly have overrevs that would otherwise jeopardize the factory warranty. Again, my apologies if I have missed something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
I may be missing something, and if it's CPO, no worries, but a non-CPO car driven as you describe would almost certainly have overrevs that would otherwise jeopardize the factory warranty. Again, my apologies if I have missed something.
My understanding is PDK witchcraft will kick in the limiter to stop over revs upon upshift (even in manual mode), and refuse to drop a gear into an otherwise over-rev range. I have a 6-speed, so I haven't tested this personally, but this thread shows some PDK owners that have tried to push those limits.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Since it will be CPO, I would skip the PPI and go with a DME scan to see how many overrevs it's got. Then it's up to you whether you can live with the overrevs or maybe there isn't any if it was driven by the 'boss'. Since it's a PDK, I honestly don't think that overrevs will be an issue either. You got 6 years to decide whether it's worth keeping, sounds like a deal to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm not sure what there is to worry about...it's a PDK transmission. I could see if it spent time on the track, but as long as it was properly warmed up there's probably no issue there either as the motors are pretty much broken in from the factory.

As long as OP is good with a PDK, then it sounds like a nice find at this point in the game.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.