Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my cayman gts developed a loud clicking noise on idle and while driving on low speeds.

the car has 36k miles on it

the clicking frequency increases with revs

no dashboard errors

no loss in power

only happens when the car is warmed up

oil level is fine

I'm not sure what it could be but I'm guessing it's the valve lifters

taking it to the dealer soon to figure it out.

any idea what it could be? its embarrassing and sometimes the noise makes me feel like I'm driving a 30 years old Mercedes that's falling apart.

its pretty inconsistent and comes and goes

at 0:15 you'll see what i mean

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sounds more like a banging to me. I'd take it to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sounds like exhaust leak to me. Some 9A1s in 987.2 had exhaust manifold bolts loosen over time. I actually lost a couple. You need to get it on a lift or jack stands to be able to see.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Damn. That doesn't sound good. Hard to tell from a recording, but an exhaust leak wouldn't sound that intermittent IMO, but could be. Hopefully something stupid. If you have ramps, you should be able to tell right away where it's coming from, especially with an automotive stethoscope. If not, take it in asap man, and good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Yea... take it in to a dealer -- especially one that would work for you and your "warranty" -- because that sound is NOT RIGHT.
good luck.. d

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
This issue only seems to be on newer cars, which is disturbing. Could affected folks please post their engine S/N, to see if we can see any trends? Hopefully both 911 and 981 3.4s follow the same S/N sequence, even then the engine type should have a different letter, due to different components due to different orientation. Engine model and S/N are on every VIN tag on the car. Easiest to see is the frunk one on the right side. My 2016 CGTS is MA123E S/N G03727. I assume 3.4 911s will be MA123F, but hopefully with same S/N pool. Thanks.

One 911 affected was a 2015 3.8S, so not only 2016s and 3.4s are affected, apparently. Hopefully the weird noises myself and others are hearing when driving next to parked cars or walls are not the beginning of this issue. My concern if I was affected by this would be if engines replaced don't have the same potential problem, since most reported issues are on 2016 cars. Hate when manufacturers don't tell you the problem, and when it was fixed. But just like with GT3s, it's eventually known. Finally, that 911 S owner said the noise wasn't present with sport/sport+, due to the elevated rpm. Keep that in mind folks. If noise is not obvious to duplicate, deactivate any sport mode to lower rpm and see if it's easier to duplicate that way. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
521 Posts
This issue only seems to be on newer cars, which is disturbing.
I don't think the sample size we have here is sufficient to draw any conclusions from.

When we talked about the slight barely audible rattling thing (probably unrelated) there was no obvious trend with production years either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
car is still at the dealership being diagnosed i really hope its not as major as it seems to be thank god i'm still under warranty. still waiting to hear from them

·
Registered
897 Posts
car is still at the dealership being diagnosed i really hope its not as major as it seems to be thank god i'm still under warranty. still waiting to hear from them
Thanks for the update. Hope there's a simple solution to your problem and hope you get your car back quickly.

Please keep us posted when you hear from the dealer.

Thx.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Got home today with windows down and noticed clicking after parking in garage. Instantly thought of this video so I made a recording. I don't think it seems as loud as the OP but def noticeable. Little to no clicking at idle, but with slight rpms ~1k to 2k it starts and varies with RPM. Also seems inconsistent almost like coming and going.

Could be exhaust leak but I would think that would be pretty consistent, Anyone think this is out of the ordinary and I should have it checked out. Its a 3 hr trip to the dealer so not an easy thing to just stop by.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got home today with windows down and noticed clicking after parking in garage. Instantly thought of this video so I made a recording. I don't think it seems as loud as the OP but def noticeable. Little to no clicking at idle, but with slight rpms ~1k to 2k it starts and varies with RPM. Also seems inconsistent almost like coming and going.

Could be exhaust leak but I would think that would be pretty consistent, Anyone think this is out of the ordinary and I should have it checked out. Its a 3 hr trip to the dealer so not an easy thing to just stop by.

my car made the same noise before it developed into what it is now.

small update: the dealer apparently couldn't replicate the noise and couldn't justify taking the engine apart to check for "cylinder walls scoring"

i insisted they take a sample of the engine's oil for analysis which they did since my car is due for major service soon

anyways if the noise still persists after the major service is done they will keep it and look into it more. I'm not letting this go until its resolved.

·
Registered
897 Posts
my car made the same noise before it developed into what it is now.

small update: the dealer apparently couldn't replicate the noise and couldn't justify taking the engine apart to check for "cylinder walls scoring"

i insisted they take a sample of the engine's oil for analysis which they did since my car is due for major service soon

anyways if the noise still persists after the major service is done they will keep it and look into it more. I'm not letting this go until its resolved.

It drives me crazy when there's an intermittent problem that never occurs when I'm at my mechanics.

I hope everything works out and thanks for the update.

Again please keep us posted if there's further developments.

·
Registered
897 Posts

Been meaning to reply for a few days. I hope it's nothing serious.

How many miles on your car ?

If it were my car I'd take it to the dealer - I realize your dealer is 3 hours away but personally I'd make the trip for peace of mind.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
436 Posts
thanks,

15k miles just did an oil change today at the house.

My issue is not really intermittent in the sense that it is here one day and gone the next is has been present since i notice it the other day and I can replicate it on demand. Nothing at idle but the normal consistent ticking but as soon as i give it some gas the inconsistent clicking or tapping happens and follows the rpms higher rpms just does it faster but still not normal like you would expect something that happens every revolution or whatever.

The dealer has not returned my message I left and then an email i sent with this video in it the next day. I will attempt to call and set up something Monday, I should be able to take a day off and get up there because after listening to it again today I am convinced that it is not normal.

Reactions: christian01

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just like to add another bit of information.

I started the car up this morning and the sound was gone while the engine was cold.

Once I got to work to check it out again there it was loud an clear.

So just like the OP it only happens when engine is warm.

I have an appointment at the dealer on Thursday to get it checked out and I will be there to make sure I can re-create the issue for the technicians.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts