Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Nobody asked for this, but I'll reiterate my previous advice on how to drive a Porsche for engine preservation.
Don't lug your engine!! Lugging your engine can cause bearing damage and piston scoring, long term. Get the revs up. These are Porsches, FGS. Cruise around town at 3500 +/- rpm, and on expressways and shorter trips at 3000, and on longer Interstate drives at 2000-2500.
Use plenty of downshifting, for engine braking, to keep cylinder walls lubricated!! Frequent engine braking sucks oil up the cylinder walls and will go a long way to prevent piston scoring. And guess what? Your brakes will last longer.
And, FGS, turn off that stupid greenie switch that allows coasting and shuts off your engine during stops!! If you are focused on gas mileage, get a Prius or a Volt or whatever else. Thank You.
As a retired engineer and lifelong gearhead, that's my experience and considered opinion. And I'm sticking to it... :gossip:
This is exactly how I have been driving all my Boxsters since the day I took ownership of each, gas mileage is a secondary consideration for me in these cars, but even with this approach I have always been satisfied with their range on the highway.

As for RPM, I love the flat-6's sweet song either going up the scale or coming down so when ever I can we work together to enjoy the drive... ;)

Reactions: PCA1983

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not personally heard it in any other car but I have not asked anyone to try and create it either. I have been autocrossing my car and have been to three autocrosses in the last few months still no change in the behavior of the ticking. I will not let it deter me from doing whatever I want with the car.
Squeaks, did youever get a resolution on this intermittent sound? I have the same issue on my 991.1. It’s an awful sound. I also had a base 981 and it did the same thing. It sounds exactly like this:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Squeaks, did youever get a resolution on this intermittent sound? I have the same issue on my 991.1. It’s an awful sound. I also had a base 981 and it did the same thing. It sounds exactly like this:

Thanks for the clip, yes it sounds exactly like it mine also increases and decreases with rpm but gets drown out after about 2k.

I never did get a resolution and the car still makes the noise to this day only after fully warming up. Since they did replace the lifters and my engine was disassembled they just told me to keep driving it, since it is under warranty and if anything happens they will take care of it.

My whole problem on this was that nobody could actually tell me what was making these ticking noises. It would be fine it they had an explanation but after having my car for over a month and consulting with Germany nobody had any answers. So I just live with it.

Car has 67k miles on it now and no signs of trouble aside from my transmission blowing up but I have another thread in here somewhere for that.

If you do end up getting this sorted please let me know.

Thanks,

JT

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will. You are not alone in your frustration. My porsche dealership also cannot tell me what the intermittent static-like popping sound is which only occurs after the engine temp and oil temp reach operating temperatures. I continually received the “these engines make a lot of noise” answer. I just performed an oil change and discovered a very very small amount of very very tiny pieces of metal in the filter. Now I’m a bit concerned. I seem to remember one of your posts discussing this issue too. Did you ever get any resolution on that or on the oil analysis?

Also, regarding your lifter replacement, my 991.1 also had a different failed lifter sounding tick that was not intermittent like the clip above. Instead it was clearly associated with a cylinder in bank 2. It got faster and slower with the RPMs. They diagnosed as failed lifter and replaced them, with no change to the noise. After three engine tear downs (yes three) over the course of two months, the dealership finally discovered that a valve spring was cracked. Replaced the valve spring and the sound was gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an older thread but did anyone get to the bottom of what is creating this noise. I have had my Cayman S for 4 months now. I have never noticed the noise because when I bought the car, it was cold outside and had the windows up, so I do not know if it was like this when I bought it. Just like everyone else, the noise comes when the oil temp reaches above 190 and I can clearly hear it when I am decelerating pulling up to a stop light. Dealership does not know what it is. They replaced a high pressure fuel pump and tension pulley but that didn't seem to work. Now that I know its there, it is driving me nuts! The dealership said the had another 981 Cayman in the shop and did a comparison and the other Cayman was making the same noise. Do we have to chalk this up as just being normal. If so, I am fine with that, I just want to know that in fact it is normal or not and if anyone found the problem if it is not normal.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine was never resolved. Had it for 4 years now and 70k miles still ticks after warm. It is annoyingly loud in my car and not every Cayman makes these clicks. I just live with it as something that will never be resolved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update on the car. I took it back because the ticking noise was getting worse as I could hear it inside the car with the windows up now. The technician went for a drive with me and acknowledged he heard the noise. When I took the covers off and listened to it with a stethoscope, I thought it was coming from the middle of the engine (crankshaft?). They had it for a week now and told me that the noise is coming from somewhere in the middle of the engine and had escalated the issue up to Porsche and had also sent them a video clip of the sound. The dealership now has the go-ahead to open up the engine to see what the problem is. I will try to keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the response. When mine was escalated with the sound clips like you mentioned they dissassembled the engine and replaced the all the valve lifters. They had it for about a month to complete and it was still there when they finished. Afterwards they changed their tune to say it was normal. I cant believe they would go from agreeing it was an issue and complete engine dissassembly to it isnt an issue after that didnt fix it.

Either way i am interested to hear what you find as mine is still ticking after 4 years and 72k miles of "hard" driving.

161 - 168 of 168 Posts