Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found that the 6MT shifts noticeably faster in Sport Plus mode? Not only during down-shifts with the the enabled throttle-blip, but also on up-shifts? Compared to the Sport Plus on my old 997 GTS, the Cayman moves through gears much faster and with perfect clutch modulation. Could this all be due to the software? It would be interesting (albeit difficult) to compare shift speeds in normal vs sport plus modes on the Cayman GTS 6MT.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Has anyone found that the 6MT shifts noticeably faster in Sport Plus mode? Not only during down-shifts with the the enabled throttle-blip, but also on up-shifts? Compared to the Sport Plus on my old 997 GTS, the Cayman moves through gears much faster and with perfect clutch modulation. Could this all be due to the software? It would be interesting (albeit difficult) to compare shift speeds in normal vs sport plus modes on the Cayman GTS 6MT.
I've had my CGTS 6MT for about a month but have been keeping it in Sport Plus mode pretty much full time. One thing I have noticed (and have seen this mentioned in a few reviews) are that the throws are pretty long - I had the short shifter in my 2006 CS the last three years I owned it (traded it in for the GTS). If a short shifter ever becomes an option, I'll definitely be getting that installed. Having said all that the shifting is still pretty much faultless.

·
Registered
747 Posts
i love the gearbox and linkage. never noticed the shifting being easier in sport+ with the exception of the rev-matching. i need to play with it. if there is a difference its strictly from the motor mounts being in full stiff mode. i know with other cars i have noticed a difference with the shifting when i put in stiffer motor mounts. carl

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's not just the dynamic mounts getting stiffer but also the throttle mapping gets more aggressive, so a combination of these things probably makes you feel like you're rowing through the gears faster and more effectively.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I haven't noticed a difference in shifting with Sport+. I don't feel the difference in throttle mapping that much either. It's certainly nothing like switching from Comfort or Auto to Dynamic on my Audi S5 (the throttle mapping makes much more difference on the supercharged S5.)

I don't like the higher idle speeds of Sport and Sport+.

As to the manual transmission in general - the clutch feel is very good; the shifter is ok, but not great. Putting it in reverse is a pain. The linkage feels clunky occasionally, particularly when going from first to second gear. This shift is sometimes smooth, and sometimes there's some metallic sound that I don't like (I think it's from the linkage.) In general, the shifter doesn't feel as good as on my Audi S5 or Infiniti G37.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The shifter throws are so long in my CGTS that i miss my pdk gearbox in my 911 turbo most of the time. Again, hope a short shipt option comes out soon...the car is getting plenty dusty these days.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The shifter throws are so long in my CGTS that i miss my pdk gearbox in my 911 turbo most of the time. Again, hope a short shipt option comes out soon...the car is getting plenty dusty these days.
Yeah, I mildly regret not getting PDK on my CGTS, but I wanted to have one manual car. This manual vs PDK dilemma is really difficult to resolve - each has its pros and cons, so the only solution is to have both!

·
Registered
175 Posts
....The linkage feels clunky occasionally, particularly when going from first to second gear. This shift is sometimes smooth, and sometimes there's some metallic sound that I don't like (I think it's from the linkage.)...
I agree that the shift from 1st to 2nd is occasionally clunky and occasionally has a metallic sound like you describe. I have 1300 miles on my 2015 and was hoping this was just a break-in issue. Anyone else experience this? Any hope it will go away with mileage? Thanks for posting.

...and I also only drive in Sport Plus. And I agree the shifting feels better/faster in that mode.

·
Registered
747 Posts
this is my second MT 981CS the one i traded had 4000 miles on it and was defiantly smoother than my new one. noticed it immediately on the first drive . they do seem to get better with miles. carl

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I am missing something. The OP said shifting was faster not easier. I don't see how hitting the sport+ button makes shifting faster? I think working out the quads and the triceps would be the only way to shift faster (or maybe drinking caffeine or something)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am missing something. The OP said shifting was faster not easier. I don't see how hitting the sport+ button makes shifting faster? I think working out the quads and the triceps would be the only way to shift faster (or maybe drinking caffeine or something)
It's just the auto rev matching (on both upshifts and downshifts) that makes the difference in shifting. Some people may call it easier or faster... I haven't noticed anything else related to shifting going on in Sport+. I think the OP didn't realize that the car rev matches on upshifts as well.

By the way, there should really be a separate button for enabling/disabling rev matching. It shouldn't be tied to Sport+.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree that the shift from 1st to 2nd is occasionally clunky and occasionally has a metallic sound like you describe. I have 1300 miles on my 2015 and was hoping this was just a break-in issue. Anyone else experience this? Any hope it will go away with mileage? Thanks for posting.

...and I also only drive in Sport Plus. And I agree the shifting feels better/faster in that mode.
That 1st to 2nd clunk/mechanical noise is definitely there for me as well, but only when the car is cold. Once it's up to temp and the fluids are pumped all around it goes away and is much smoother. This was true on my 6 speed BMW as well.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
this is my second MT 981CS the one i traded had 4000 miles on it and was defiantly smoother than my new one. noticed it immediately on the first drive . they do seem to get better with miles. carl
Carl & AS2003:

If you're feeling the shifts, have your hydraulic clutch slave cylinder bled. It's like bleeding brakes, but it's hard to get at. If there is a little air in the clutch line, the clutch won't disengage all the way and you feel the syncros working overtime. That can be hard on them. Even a little air in there makes a difference and it feels like you describe.

:cheers:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks but mine is fine my comment was on the overall smoothness of the gearbox improving with miles. If a slave cylinder needs to be bled usealy the sign is grinding getting into reverse from neutral because the clutch isn't disengaging. carl

·
Registered
358 Posts
That 1st to 2nd clunk/mechanical noise is definitely there for me as well, but only when the car is cold. Once it's up to temp and the fluids are pumped all around it goes away and is much smoother. This was true on my 6 speed BMW as well.
I also mostly notice this when the car is cold. However, sometimes it's smooth even when the car is cold, and sometimes it's clunky even when the car is warm, so it's not 100% correlated...

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Thanks but mine is fine my comment was on the overall smoothness of the gearbox improving with miles. If a slave cylinder needs to be bled usealy the sign is grinding getting into reverse from neutral because the clutch isn't disengaging. carl
Carl:

Reverse is well-syncroed on these cars. Grinding unlikely, even in Reverse, but I get your point.

Just saying, if a manual really feels extra mechanical, it's sometimes because the synchros are working too hard from air in that clutch line.

Agree, they shift smoother with more exercise.

Great manual trans on these 981 cars. One of the best, I think. Porsche got better and new BMWs went backwards on this. Don't know why. Throw is a little bit long, but you get used to it quickly...and you don't miss shifts with it a little on the long side. So long as I don't hit things with the shifter, as I did in my '83 911SC...(It hit my seat in Reverse before I put a quick-shift kit on it.) Long throws are OK with me.

:cheers:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have it too. It seems to occur only once or twice when I am just starting out and will stop before the engine warms up.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
The manual transmission in my Cayman GTS shifts very smoothly in my opinion, and I only have a little more than 700 miles on the car (I know, I need to drive this car more ) It is much more precise in feel than the Porsche short shifters I had on my 2005 Boxster S and 2007 997 Turbo.

However, I have not yet driven the car with the outside temperature below 60f, so I can't comment on whether it will exhibit the grinding feel in colder weather that others have mentioned.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts