Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They will be having the Cayman GTS on Top Gear.

Season: 22 | Episode: 5 | Original Air Date: 23 February, 2015 ....Richard Hammond is at the test track to compare the crisp, precision engineering of the new Porsche Cayman GTS with the thunderous, all-American muscle of the latest Chevrolet Corvette.

WOOPS Feb 23rd not the 13th...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Very surprised with the time it put down. Interesting to note that even though the GTS the Stig put around had X73, it didn't have PDK, meaning it had the possibility to be up to half a second quicker still. Really goes to show just how far suspension development and tire technology has come in even just the past 10 to 15 years.

Do note that the Audi R8 V10 was in damp conditions though. Even then, look up the historic time for a 997 GT3 (which was done for a special, not a normal episode) -- that's the eye opener, especially considering the power deficit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
How did the GTS actually do? I'm traveling and don't have access to BBC America (or BBC proper, for what it's worth!)

·
Noob
857 Posts
I think the title says it wrong, its today, not 13th.
LaFerrari is also on today

·
Noob
857 Posts
I seem to have accidentally stumbled onto the segment while I was looking for funny pictures of cats! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwk13IFgB2U
Looks like we should be giving up our more expensive germans and switching to the cheaper hill billys :hilarious:

That being said, I never liked looks of the corvette, this one or any prior one...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I maintain that this is a perfect demonstration of how good suspension development, body control, and tire technology has gotten. First, let's look at where the Corvette ranks...

• 1:19.1 - Ferrari 458 Italia
  • 1:19.7 - Ferrari F430 Scuderia
  • 1:19.8 - Chevrolet Corvette (C7)
  • 1:19.8 - Porsche Carrera GT
  • 1:19.8 - Ferrari 599 GTO
  • 1:20.4 - Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6, damp)
  • 1:21.9 - Ford GT
  • 1:22.4 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6)
2.6 seconds quicker than the last Z06, despite less top-end, less torque, and a higher curb weight. I've driven the last Z06. It's not as communicative as I'd like (and the seats didn't hold me in place), but it's a tremendously capable car. Moreover, it's competitive with what we'd all agree were supercars a decade ago. That's progress!

• 1:20.9 - McLaren-Mercedes SLR
  • 1:21.0 - Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series
  • 1:21.2 - Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano
  • 1:21.6 - Audi R8 V10 (damp)
  • 1:21.6 - Porsche Cayman GTS
  • 1:21.9 - Ford GT
  • 1:22.2 - Porsche 911 Turbo Convertible (997.2)
  • 1:22.3 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS (996.2)
  • 1:22.9 - Porsche 911 Sport Classic
  • 1:23.1 - Porsche 911 GT3 (997.1)
  • 1:24.9 - Porsche Boxster Spyder
  • 1:26.7 - Porsche Cayman S (987.1)
Despite being heavier, and only having an additional 20HP. the Cayman has gained 3.3 seconds over the Boxster Spyder -- despite not even having Michelin Pilot Super Sports as an OEM fitment (which the Vette does). I dismiss the R8 V10s time because it was handicapped, but if it had PDK the Cayman would've likely been on par with a Ferrari 599. That's just crazy. Moreover, it takes the 997.1 GT3 (recorded in a special, not an episode) by 1.5 seconds. Honestly, it's a shame that in S20E05 that the 991 Carrera S wasn't put around the track, because my guess is it'd probably be in the 1:19s. Regardless, the Cayman GTS is quite a bit quicker than you'd ever imagine it would be.

Seriously, modern suspensions and tires really are freakin' miracles.

Reactions: sdj

·
Noob
857 Posts
Where do you think would the GT4 fall into?
My guess, 1.19.5 - 1.19.8

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
All the euro demo cars (the Sapphire Blue one was used by Autocar and Evo, while the Carmine Red one was used by Auto Express) have X73. Having an X73 car I can tell you it's the slide-iest car Porsche will currently sell you. The GT4 won't be sliding about, has 1.5" wider rear wheels with the section width to match, and on "cheater tires" - Pilot Sport Cup 2s. It has the torque to deal with the bigger wheels/tires/brakes, and is actually a teensy bit lighter (4 - 5kg). Plus GT3 suspension, part of which is derived from the 991 Cup, and more top end.

Honestly, the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires might result in a surprising time. I wouldn't underestimate how much time those kinds of tires are worth. 1:19.5 is what I expect, but mind you the Enzo (1:19.0) ran on Potenza RE050As. Those came shod on my Miata. Switching to Pilot Super Sports on the Miata made the car much too grippy, and RE050As are now "run of the mill, cheapish" sports car tires. Pilot Sport Cup 2s are another level still from even the MPSS (which is better than anything currently shod on the Cayman). It's like 2.5 or 3 entire generations of tire tech since the Enzo.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'll say the following: Know what's really crazy? That in like 15 to 20 years there'll be hatchbacks you can buy for 40-45 grand that'll be quicker still.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yes, Sorry... The BBC website has it as Feb 23, not the 13th as I posted.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yes, Sorry... The BBC website has it as Feb 23, not the 13th as I posted.
Next week is only the Lexus RC F, so we've lucked out the past 2 weeks with car reviews. Gillian Anderson is the guest.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Fixed it.

Also note that the driver changed between the older cars and now. So there may be some differences as well.

I love the look in yellow though of the Corvette. Still prefer the 981 though, but would not mind having both. Will have to go and ask my neighbor (his is white though).

Reactions: markstudy

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fixed it.

Also note that the driver changed between the older cars and now. So there may be some differences as well.

I love the look in yellow though of the Corvette. Still prefer the 981 though, but would not mind having both. Will have to go and ask my neighbor (his is white though).

I have both a C7-Z51 and 981CS. They are both great cars. The 981CS is a car that is easy to drive quickly by anyone. The C7 feels like it's more work to drive quick. The C7 is bigger/heavier/more powerful, and feels that way when you drive it. The 981 is perfect for autocross and the C7 is great on the track. The 981 is a little more refines, but the C7 has a ton of options that are extras, or not even available on the 981 (e.g. multi mode traction settings, performance data recorder). As for looks, the C7 draws way more attention then the 981. It would be close, but if I could only have one, I'd choose the 981CS, mainly because it's so effortless to drive.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I noticed that as the cars drive off into the distance at the end of Richard's driving part of the segment, it's the glorious burbles of the GTS that you're hearing over all else. :D

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I noticed that as the cars drive off into the distance at the end of Richard's driving part of the segment, it's the glorious burbles of the GTS that you're hearing over all else. :D
I thought that sounded familiar...

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
346 Posts
I like my "dirty librarian".

Reactions: mister2d

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
There's one and only one reason that I don't own a C7: Chevy dealerships in my area, and especially their service departments. If I were GM, I'd have the Corvette sold and serviced at Cadillac dealerships. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in my area the Cadillac dealership is on a par with the Porsche dealerships.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
There's one and only one reason that I don't own a C7: Chevy dealerships in my area, and especially their service departments. If I were GM, I'd have the Corvette sold and serviced at Cadillac dealerships. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in my area the Cadillac dealership is on a par with the Porsche dealerships.
I don't know whether I'd have liked the C7. They wouldn't let me try one. :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts