Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not a scientific review by any means,
I am in the market for a new car, after months of research I kept coming back to Porsche as the best combination of what I wanted.
I wanted a car I could own for 10 years, reliable and reasonable maintenance, manual, nimble over raw power, sporty, combination of light daily duties and weekend fun. That kicks out quite a number of competitors. Sounds odd but it is quite hard to find 'the car' in the $70-$90k segment.

Now, everyone has different wants, so my observations may in no way match someone else's. I had a well modified 2003 996 turbo for 2 1/2 years - was a maintenance nightmare, but I understood what made Porsche special. I enjoyed the raw feeling but the turbo was really too much car than I needed, it was porky, less nimble than I desired. Acceleration - nothing much can compare, but I found myself not enjoying the ride the majority of the time. So now I was over the 911 bug - been there, done that - time to look for a more balanced car.

Last year I tired the base 987 Cayman with PDK vs base 981 Cayman with PDK
No contest that the 981 was much better, so much so that I would not even consider a 987 Cayman. Wind buffeting on the 987 was a deal breaker for me.
Base was missing low end grunt when digging out of a stop sign or exiting a turn, but all in all a great feeling car. PDK is bleh (for me) - kills the feeling. However, even in the 981 base version, you get an awesome car

Recently, I was able to test drive a 2015 Cayman GTS with Manual, Sport Suspension, and PTV.

Let me cut to the summary...oh my God, what an amazing car. A tremendous overall package. When I left, I can honestly say that it exceeded my expectations.

Highlights =
Classic Porsche with regards to brakes, driving position, suspension, everything fits the way it should. Nothing more needs to be said here.

Manual - my first time driving a modern Porsche manual. Clutch pedal was stiffer than my 2013 GTI, the extra heft was great, but not at all punishing or tiring - the right balance. Shift action was superb, really, really great. Throws were appropriately short enough and there was a heaviness to the shifter -again, they nailed the balance. There was a `snickity-ness' to the shifts, nice and crisp, not rubbery.

Exhaust - They nailed this as well. Can switch between PSE off and on. Rev matching really surprised me, I thought it might be a bit hokey - nope, it works and it work flipping fast and precise. Has a great growl and burble overall - it just fits the personality of the car perfectly, not too much - not too little.

Feel - The certain things you cannot put your finger on shine here. Everything works together perfectly. The car is a blast to drive even around town at lower speeds. The feeling of the driving position, the sounds, the tightness, and how solid the car feels all blend together. The car had a lot more to give in the twisties, but I was exceeding the speed limits by double already.
These words describe the car best: nimble, powerful, competent, balanced, perfect, grown up fun.

I also wanted to make sure the Sport Suspension would not be a problem of being too low. It was fine. My last car (GT2 height) would scrape all the time and had to take almost everything at an angle. This is not a problem. Ride quality was excellent, not harsh at all, but also not soft by any means.

Lowlights =
1. When you really want to get on it, you are wanting for just a bit more. You do not get that push to the back of your seat and holy **** moment. But that is not primarily what this car is about. If that is your main goal, than this will be a problem for you. It is more than competent, and more than enough power for 99.9% of most people's driving needs.

2. Gearing, yes, could be a bit shorter...but I am splitting hairs here.

3. Price. Porsche knows how to make money and control supply. Have to pay very close to MSRP to play here.

4. The car gave me a boner and I had to wait a bit to exit the test drive.

Is there anything that really nags at me with this car? Nope, nada. It is damn near perfect...it really is.

Not to start a 911 vs Cayman war, but it is a shame that people put these 2 cars in the same vein. Cayman is not a little brother to anyone - it is awesome in its own right. I went in thinking it would be a compromise - it is not. If you have never owned a 911, I can understand the pull to own one over anything else...but you are not giving anything at all up being in a Cayman.

Interesting fact...I checked insurance rates. A 2015 Cayman GTS is only +$250 more than my 2013 VW GTI...same coverage levels...that is a steal.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nice write-up.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I checked insurance rates. A 2015 Cayman GTS is only +$250 more than my 2013 VW GTI...same coverage levels...that is a steal.
Agreed. I had the same last minute "oops, wonder what insurance will be??" and it's $300/yr. more than the Infiniti G35 policy it went on. Wow!

·
Registered
257 Posts
My last 4 cars were 2011 R8 spyder V10, 2012 R8 spyder V10, 2014 R8 V10 Plus and a 2014 991 Turbo S. My current car is a Cayman GTS.

Twice the fun... half the price.

·
Registered
499 Posts
ahhhhh the good ol' car boner, very nicely executed.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not to start a 911 vs Cayman war, but it is a shame that people put these 2 cars in the same vein. Cayman is not a little brother to anyone - it is awesome in its own right. I went in thinking it would be a compromise - it is not. If you have never owned a 911, I can understand the pull to own one over anything else...but you are not giving anything at all up being in a Cayman.
It's always about finding what suits the individual best and one size does not fit all despite those who want to make universal proclamations about which is "best" in any comparison. Best is always a highly subjective matter. I definitely enjoyed driving a 991 but the 981 suits me better. The 991 is too much of a GT for me. As with any subjective matter YMMV but it's generally a good idea to actually experience the options when possible versus simply relying on pricing, spec sheet racing and what others consider "best".

·
Registered
948 Posts
Love the GTS, enjoyed reading your comments (yes I read the words in Playboy too!). :burnout:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was surprised by the insurance rates as well. My CGTS was less than $100 more than the now departed 2011 BMW M3. For a 12 month policy, same coverage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
"3. Price. Porsche knows how to make money and control supply. Have to pay very close to MSRP to play here."

I'm only one state over and am surprised at this. I ordered in December and by shopping GA/SC/NC was able to find a 6% discount on an open allocation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was surprised by the insurance rates as well. My CGTS was less than $100 more than the now departed 2011 BMW M3. For a 12 month policy, same coverage.
When I moved from my '11 Lancer Evolution MR to my '15 Cayman GTS -- same policy, deductibles, amounts, etc. -- insurance went up by about $10/year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Last year I tired the base 987 Cayman with PDK vs base 981 Cayman with PDK
No contest that the 981 was much better, so much so that I would not even consider a 987 Cayman. Wind buffeting on the 987 was a deal breaker for me.
Base was missing low end grunt when digging out of a stop sign or exiting a turn, but all in all a great feeling car. PDK is bleh (for me) - kills the feeling. However, even in the 981 base version, you get an awesome car.
How do you compare the difference on steering and PDK on the 987 and 981 non S?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts