Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2014 GTS from my local Porsche dealer just over a year ago with 10k miles on the clock. It now has 17k miles. I was not very happy with the grip and had a few scares in the wet (and dry), finally finding out that it was a problem with the tyres (Pirelli Pzero N0), which have a bad reputation among Porsche owners here in Spain. I recently upgraded to the N1 version and there has been a marked improvement in grip. However, I have now discovered that the standard PASM suspension is crap. It's OK in normal mode for cruising but in sport mode, the car appears to lean and lurch in corners with very little linearity in its reactions- very un Porsche like.( I own two other Porsches with passive suspension and they are very predictable and a delight to drive.) I mentioned my impressions to the dealer last week asking if they could firm up the suspension, using software or other means and the response was "not possible". I'm extremely disappointed as I really do not enjoy the car. Right now, the only thing which looks promising is the TPC DSC V2 PASM control module.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I bought my 2014 GTS from my local Porsche dealer just over a year ago with 10k miles on the clock. It now has 17k miles. I was not very happy with the grip and had a few scares in the wet (and dry), finally finding out that it was a problem with the tyres (Pirelli Pzero N0), which have a bad reputation among Porsche owners here in Spain. I recently upgraded to the N1 version and there has been a marked improvement in grip. However, I have now discovered that the standard PASM suspension is crap. It's OK in normal mode for cruising but in sport mode, the car appears to lean and lurch in corners with very little linearity in its reactions- very un Porsche like.( I own two other Porsches with passive suspension and they are very predictable and a delight to drive.) I mentioned my impressions to the dealer last week asking if they could firm up the suspension, using software or other means and the response was "not possible". I'm extremely disappointed as I really do not enjoy the car. Right now, the only thing which looks promising is the TPC DSC V2 PASM control module.
Sorry to hear that you did not like you P-Zero N0 tires but found the N1 to be better, I have still got N0 on my car and they are proving to be a great performer both in wet and dry.

As for PASM, here too it is working just fine and like you 'other' Porsches I find it very predictable and a delight to drive. Perhaps there is a problem with the suspension in your car, did they check it?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I never liked 'adjustable suspensions' where only the shocks are adjustable. Doesn't make any sense to me, as every suspension component has to be tuned just right to work with each other. The only such system I've liked is McLaren's, since it's a completely different animal (all hydraulic) than just adjustable shocks. Anyway, after careful research, that's why I opted for X73, even though it could be a bit hard for my wife (it is). But it's awesome, and have zero regrets of getting it. If you want better handling, that could be your OEM solution to keep the car. Sorry to hear your issues. Good luck man.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear that you did not like you P-Zero N0 tires but found the N1 to be better, I have still got N0 on my car and they are proving to be a great performer both in wet and dry.

As for PASM, here too it is working just fine and like you 'other' Porsches I find it very predictable and a delight to drive. Perhaps there is a problem with the suspension in your car, did they check it?
Thanks for your response. As I had not owned a car with PASM before, I was unsure if this was normal behaviour. But I recently drove the new 718S Boxster (with PASM) and both the suspension and steering are way better than mine. So I know that Porsche hasn't forgotten how to do suspensions. In any case, my Porsche dealer would never admit that there was anything wrong. I think that I'll try an independent shop to see what they think..

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a 2014 CS with PASM I to have thought about the TPC Controller.

I recently drove 2016 911 GTS and thought wow this thing is stable and flat when cornering much better than my CS.

I went home home and installed the rear of my recently received x73 sway bars. Have only been able to take a short drive with the rear on but I really like the improvement. Much flatter and more stable.
Now I need to put the front on.

These bars are fairly inexpensive in the states and I think a very nice upgrade.

As far as tires with 14K on the stock goodyears the rears will slide to easily looking forward to a set of Michelins soon.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i am surprised by your post i have PASM and Bridgestone Re 71's for the track. i elected to not have the x 73 suspension for comfort around town, i track my car about 4 to 6 weekends a year and it is great on the track. very stable predictable and fast. After my first track weekend i was dissapointed in my driving and thought about getting the x 73 sway bars. realized that was my learning the car after having a 97 993 for 16 years. now that i have been to VIR, NCM and finally Mid-Ohio I love it on the track. i have no lean or lurch on the corners and i am passing cars with more horsepower. Don't know if you have another dealer you can take it to cause what you describe is not normal for a gts with PASM

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bought my 2014 GTS from my local Porsche dealer just over a year ago
I was pretty sure that the GTS was only available in 15 and 16

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I was pretty sure that the GTS was only available in 15 and 16
Totally true... But the MY 2015's were "available" in 2014. I bought my place in allocation line Aug 2014 if memory served, got my allocation (for my 2015) in Oct 2014. Date into body shop was Jan 2015. I'm sure that some of the early GTS's were delivered in late 2014. They were very "rare" back then... none at dealers for sale when I went looking -- had to buy totally on the reviews in the second half of the year.

So, the car (as a MY 2015) may have been delivered late 2014.

D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Totally true... But the MY 2015's were "available" in 2014. I bought my place in allocation line Aug 2014 if memory served, got my allocation (for my 2015) in Oct 2014. Date into body shop was Jan 2015. I'm sure that some of the early GTS's were delivered in late 2014. They were very "rare" back then... none at dealers for sale when I went looking -- had to buy totally on the reviews in the second half of the year.

So, the car (as a MY 2015) may have been delivered late 2014.

D
Got mine July 31, 2014.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Thanks for your response. As I had not owned a car with PASM before, I was unsure if this was normal behaviour. But I recently drove the new 718S Boxster (with PASM) and both the suspension and steering are way better than mine. So I know that Porsche hasn't forgotten how to do suspensions. In any case, my Porsche dealer would never admit that there was anything wrong. I think that I'll try an independent shop to see what they think..
No worries!

i am surprised by your post i have PASM and Bridgestone Re 71's for the track. i elected to not have the x 73 suspension for comfort around town, i track my car about 4 to 6 weekends a year and it is great on the track. very stable predictable and fast. After my first track weekend i was dissapointed in my driving and thought about getting the x 73 sway bars. realized that was my learning the car after having a 97 993 for 16 years. now that i have been to VIR, NCM and finally Mid-Ohio I love it on the track. i have no lean or lurch on the corners and i am passing cars with more horsepower. Don't know if you have another dealer you can take it to cause what you describe is not normal for a gts with PASM
I agree with okindao, I would try another dealer before an independent, the always good second opinion...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The OP is correct. I ordered a 2015 CGTS in March 2014, and the car was delivered to me on July 31, 2014.
But the point is: There're NO 2014 GTSs... at least in the US. Saying the car is a 2014 just because it was delivered in 2014 makes no sense. For those who haven't noticed, car years DO NOT follow a calendar year:). If somebody wants to be more specific, just include the buiid date stamped on the VIN label located in the driver's door jamb with the car's year;).

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
+1

When you take delivery has nothing to do with the year model of any vehicle. I drove my 2014 home on August 8th 2013. It was built in May of 2013. It's still a 2014 model year and that is what is on the title.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Bris, I'm wondering what you are used to. For example, my 914 with heavy duty Bilsteins and uprated rear springs rides AND handles better that my PDK 981 BS. But I'm ok with the 981. On my 2001 BS, I installed Bilstein coil overs and hated them. So, I'm wary of nonOEM suspensions. But your car may well have a fault. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your input, guys. I just got an apointment with a very reputable independent shop for a test drive on July 3rd. I only have one other dealership in Madrid, but I want to check out these guys first. My experience with the dealership here is one of denial. I suffered the dreaded IMS failure on my C4S in 2005 and, although they replaced the engine for free, this fault has never been acknowledged by Porsche. Also, when I had problems with the Pirelli N0's on this Cayman GTS, the test driver could find nothing wrong, although I had a few epsiodes of the rear stepping out in both the wet and the dry. When I enquired on our local Porsche forum, I could see that several owners had the same problem with that tyre, not only with Caymans but also with a 991 GTS.

Regarding the model year, this is not something which is commonly used in Europe. My car was first registered on June 17, 2014 and that's the year I refer to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bris, I'm wondering what you are used to. For example, my 914 with heavy duty Bilsteins and uprated rear springs rides AND handles better that my PDK 981 BS. But I'm ok with the 981. On my 2001 BS, I installed Bilstein coil overs and hated them. So, I'm wary of nonOEM suspensions. But your car may well have a fault. Good luck!
Hi mid-engine fan. I've been driving a 996 C4S since 2003 and a 2011 Boxster S Black Edition since early 2014. I have made no modifications to either of them and am happy with that.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hi mid-engine fan. I've been driving a 996 C4S since 2003 and a 2011 Boxster S Black Edition since early 2014. I have made no modifications to either of them and am happy with that.
Hi Bris. In that case, I would agree that something is broken or worn with your car. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Just to add that PASM is more than adjustable shocks. The engine and transmission mounts are stiffened, too. I am not sure if there isn't an electronic steering improvement as well, as when PASM is enabled, the car is much tighter following rapid steering right to left and back. Turn it off and repeat and it feels wishy washy.

V6

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am with you in this one, I find PASM awful as well.
Change the springs to H&R and noticed a massive difference however they where to low so in the process of changing to adjustable coilovers.
Had a z4 sport before and it handeled so much better, PASM is very unpredictable and confused most of the time. Feels like I am driving a swaying boat and my dealer has stated this is a problem with PASM.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.