Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cayman GTS brake upgrades
Even though the Cayman GTS comes with sizable 330mm front rotor disc and 4 piston calipers, I wanted to upgrade to something that will never (ok almost never) fade and boil on me for track duty which is what I mainly used to vehicle.
When researching this, other then Giro disc… there wasn’t a whole lot of options out there that is OEM or as close as possible.

1. I wanted slotted rotors, so OEM Porsche cross drilled is out.
  2. I also wanted a caliper that is not fixed so that I don’t have to take the damn caliper off to change pads. (So 991 S calipers were out)
  3. I want to keep things as OEM as possible
  4. I want them to fit over 18” track wheels

This is my solution:

1. 996 GT3 6 piston calipers- you can source from sun coast but I will tell you my source at the end
  2. AP racing floating 350mm curved vane discs
  3. PFC 11 brake pads
  4. Schnell autosports SS brake line

While researching, I can across an interesting guy from Wrightwood racing, Charlie Spira. He is a great guy and knows a lot about brakes. He custom made some spacers so that the caliper from 996 will fit the upright to the 981 cayman. He does not sell retail so I ended getting the rotors and brakes from Roland at Vision motorsports. Again, another upstanding guy.

My reasoning for such a big brake kit is that I never wanted to stop tracking or run into trouble due to not enough heat capacity, fluid boiling over… Who wants to bleed their brakes in the middle of a track day.

Now for my review…. I installed this kit 2 weeks before my first track day in September of 2014… after two weeks after I received my cayman. First time on track with this car I thought… what the heck did I do? Is it possible to have too much brakes as I pretty much left my rear brakes alone except for PFC 11 pads. The brakes were a bit touchy and very easy to engage ABS. As I got more comfortable with the car, the brakes got better and better. I never boil my fluid nor had any fade.

Fast forward 6 track events, I’ve taken the car to Laguna Seca, Thunderhill 3 mile, 5 miles and 2 miles as well as Sonoma and it performed brilliantly. To this date, I have never had an issue with this set up and it still looks good. I’m hoping to get 12 days out of the front rotors!!! So far, I cooked my NT01 and the pads and rotors still have a lot of life.

I will update this thread when I replace my rotors and pads. I have some ideas as to other cheaper rotor options and different discs that I may try.

Here is a video of my PB at Thunderhill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gohrWEuL1o

DSC_3347.jpg DSC_3342.jpg

·
Registered
499 Posts
Do you DD this car?? Are the floating discs noisy?

Awesome set up you have, and you have some of the best telemetry/video I've seen

Is there any way you can give us a detailed post/comment about your camera/telemetry set up.

Software, hardware, how you run the wires etc etc? Really loved you video.

As hard as you try, just got outpaced by that gt3 :p, he had a bit more car I suppose

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
I can appreciate your experience. I swapped my PCCB ceramic rotors with like sized 350mm Girodisc front and rear (34mm thick in front and 28mm rear). The PCCB front rotors are 6 piston.. I run Pagid yellow/black, Motul 600. and NT01.

In 3 days at Mid-Ohio and 2 days at Road America there was not a hint of fade, just confidence inspiring braking. Stopping distances aren't any shorter since that's a function of tire grip, but not ever worrying about brake fade is priceless.

Payne - floating rotors are no noisier, they are just 2 pieces: rotor bolted to the brake hat for reduced weight and the ability to replace just the rotor when it is worn out.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
Agreed... I enjoyed the video a lot. Awesome driving.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Telemetry
3 go pro
Aim DL solo for data
Race render 3 to stitch it all together

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here is a video of my PB at Thunderhill
Great video and nice driving, thanks.
You certainly woke up that GT3!
The white Cayman driver is a good example of courtesy, he saw you were faster and let you by at the first opportunity. I got stuck behind a C4 Corvette a couple of weeks ago who just didn't understand that there are corners and straights on the track and he could only do one of them well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
White cayman is a friend of mine!!!
GT3 also a friend of mine
Everyone is very friendly at our track days!
No reason to hold anyone up... If you are faster, pass!

·
Registered
710 Posts
You were moving it there brother. You caught up that GT3 and then his pride was at stake, so he stepped it up. Nice driving!!! I had some fun with the GT3s at my first DE in a while too. At first out of respect, early on in the weekend, I was letting the GT3s by as early as possible even if I was stuck behind someone else. Once I got warmed up after the first day and into blue-solo that philosophy changed. It had been 15 months since I had been to the track, so I was definitely rusty at first.

In each of the last two sessions I had one GT3 come up on me when I got stuck behind two slower cars waiting for the signal to pass. After we both got by the bottleneck, I left both of them in the dust and pulled away to the point of not even seeing the one in my rear view mirror on the last session. These were both people that were leaving me in the dust earlier in the weekend. I can't say enough good things about how well balanced our cars are, and what a joy they are drive. They handle so well and in that last session I was able to pull up on everyone in the twisty sections of the track.

In the last session there were over 28 cars on a 1.7 mile track including 5 GT3s and I was passing 1-2 cars on most of the laps. Not one car passed me and I even aced a 997.2 turbo. This is in a stock Cayman S, and the point here is that you don't need 400-500 horsepower to go out on the track and have a blast in these cars. I am just in the blue-solo division, not yellow or white yet. The car was so good that it made me feel like a stud after getting my basic skills back. Thank You Porsche.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you mind telling us the cost of the 996 GT3 6 piston calipers, adapter, and AP racing floating 350mm discs? I assume you are in norcal since you go Thill and Laguna, which shop you used for the installation? I am in norcal, and is planning to get a Cayman S/GTS, but I want to figure out brake setup/track wheels etc before I pull the trigger, since it will see a lot of track days :)
Thanks and have a nice weekend!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You were moving it there brother. You caught up that GT3 and then his pride was at stake, so he stepped it up. Nice driving!!! I had some fun with the GT3s at my first DE in a while too. At first out of respect, early on in the weekend, I was letting the GT3s by as early as possible even if I was stuck behind someone else. Once I got warmed up after the first day and into blue-solo that philosophy changed. It had been 15 months since I had been to the track, so I was definitely rusty at first.

In each of the last two sessions I had one GT3 come up on me when I got stuck behind two slower cars waiting for the signal to pass. After we both got by the bottleneck, I left both of them in the dust and pulled away to the point of not even seeing the one in my rear view mirror on the last session. These were both people that were leaving me in the dust earlier in the weekend. I can't say enough good things about how well balanced our cars are, and what a joy they are drive. They handle so well and in that last session I was able to pull up on everyone in the twisty sections of the track.

In the last session there were over 28 cars on a 1.7 mile track including 5 GT3s and I was passing 1-2 cars on most of the laps. Not one car passed me and I even aced a 997.2 turbo. This is in a stock Cayman S, and the point here is that you don't need 400-500 horsepower to go out on the track and have a blast in these cars. I am just in the blue-solo division, not yellow or white yet. The car was so good that it made me feel like a stud after getting my basic skills back. Thank You Porsche.
I'll be perfectly honest, the GT3 on this video were all my buddies and they were waiting for me to catch up...
I wish I could actually keep up with the GT3's... I'm running 2.04 and they are 1:56-57 ish.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you mind telling us the cost of the 996 GT3 6 piston calipers, adapter, and AP racing floating 350mm discs? I assume you are in norcal since you go Thill and Laguna, which shop you used for the installation? I am in norcal, and is planning to get a Cayman S/GTS, but I want to figure out brake setup/track wheels etc before I pull the trigger, since it will see a lot of track days :)
Thanks and have a nice weekend!
see PM in your box

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you DD this car?? Are the floating discs noisy?

Awesome set up you have, and you have some of the best telemetry/video I've seen

Is there any way you can give us a detailed post/comment about your camera/telemetry set up.

Software, hardware, how you run the wires etc etc? Really loved you video.

As hard as you try, just got outpaced by that gt3 :p, he had a bit more car I suppose
I use Gopro Hero 2, 3, 4 mounted in the tow hook in front and rear as well as a inside mount gopro
Telemetry is via OBD2 hooked up to a Solo DL
To put all the video and data together, I use Race Render 3 for MAC.
PM me for more details. I will post more videos as I get more track days in this spring and summer.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well I guess the GT3s I was running with were not getting everything out of their cars just yet. That is pretty obvious anyway, but it was still fun to out run a couple of them. Another friend of mine had seen some article somewhere that talked about a professional driver in a Cayman S beating lots of stiff competition like other GT3s with relatively decent drivers but not pros. Sorry to be off topic here, and I will stop with this post, but it was fun to watch your video of your driving and see how well ours cars handle on the track. I don't usually watch the whole video, but your driving was more exciting to watch than the usual, and the quality of the video with all the goodies in it was fantastic. Good luck at your next DE or track event.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well I guess the GT3s I was running with were not getting everything out of their cars just yet. That is pretty obvious anyway, but it was still fun to out run a couple of them. Another friend of mine had seen some article somewhere that talked about a professional driver in a Cayman S beating lots of stiff competition like other GT3s with relatively decent drivers but not pros. Sorry to be off topic here, and I will stop with this post, but it was fun to watch your video of your driving and see how well ours cars handle on the track. I don't usually watch the whole video, but your driving was more exciting to watch than the usual, and the quality of the video with all the goodies in it was fantastic. Good luck at your next DE or track event.
ill try to get some footage of me passing some gt3 and Ferrari at the next track event lol!

Reactions: ElusiveDH

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Some floating rotors are noisy, the GiroDisc (made right here, call for your best price..) are not at all.

We have the rotors AND pads to properly fit a 981 IN STOCK :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts