Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the opportunity to buy a brand new Cayman from Porsche in the UK at a 20% discount, any model, any extras. How long would it be before the car loses 20% of it's value?

Are there any extras that I should get, or would these generally lose their value faster than a base model with maybe just cruise control and parking sensors?

As much as I would love to have a Cayman for a long time, I'll only buy if I can use the Cayman, then keep it for 6 months+, then sell it and get the original value-20% back, if that makes sense?

Any thoughts/opinions please?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Pretty much any car (excluding limited edition/rare models) will lose 20% of its values in a year or two. Obviously there are a lot of variables.

Sounds like this is a bit of a gamble for you, though, in that you want to break even at the end of this period. What happens if the car is damaged in an accident? Then you be be betting against the insurance company.

Sorry, but this sounds like a bad idea. If you desire the car, and can afford it, then buy it, use, it, and enjoy it. If you can't afford it (i.e. needing to get your original investment back) then this doesn't sound smart.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sorry, but this sounds like a bad idea. If you desire the car, and can afford it, then buy it, use, it, and enjoy it. If you can't afford it (i.e. needing to get your original investment back) then this doesn't sound smart.
I disagree. This sounds like a great opportunity to buy a (new?) Porsche at a phenomenal discount. If it's wrecked, insurance will cover at least the price paid at 20% off, and maybe more. How much will your insurance premium go up if you buy a Cayman? That is the only real gamble I can see.

If you want to minimize your hit on depreciation, then forgo all options and just buy a Standard equipped GTS. Maybe opt for the Navi, since that won't depreciate as much as the other options.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If you're doing it just to drive a Porsche for 'free' for X amt of time, I'd say you're taking a chance. You'll pretty much lose 10% the minute you drive off the lot. How long can you go after that for the additional 10%? Not sure.

Back in Dec a buddy was looking for a new GTS. I found a used one in MN with 1800 mi. He negotiated them down from $83K to $81K, straight sale. I don't know what the sticker was, but let's assume $95K for argument's sake. That's 15% depreciation in 3 mo.

IF you're going to get a Porshe, you might want to consider a Cayenne. That's the best seller and you might have a bigger audience to sell to.

IF you want to have fun, then I would order a Cayman GTS or an S. Base models don't hold their value as well. And options help make the sale vs strippers.

BUT when it comes time to sell, you'll be competing with new car sales and all the inherent advantages they have - taking trades, financing, etc. People don't just plop down $80K on a whim, so you'll have to really hustle to make a sale. Generally you have to cut your price to entice someone to buy a used almost new car vs a new one. It's a skinny market.

Reactions: lrcipo

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
What about tax, you have to pay VAT? Should figure that into your calculation. Just me, but I wouldn't get into any current Porsche model expecting to avoid significant depreciation- well except for a GT3RS:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you find you are getting that deal on '16 GT4 then by all means do it. If you think you will be selling it within a year then get only the options that more buyers want on the car. For me, I shopped Cayman S only (no GTS was old enough yet) and had some must have options which were PDK, Sports Chrono with Sport exhaust. I think these options are most sought after on a used S model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty much any car (excluding limited edition/rare models) will lose 20% of its values in a year or two. Obviously there are a lot of variables.

Sounds like this is a bit of a gamble for you, though, in that you want to break even at the end of this period. What happens if the car is damaged in an accident? Then you be be betting against the insurance company.

Yeah - I'm trying to figure out the variables...it seems a little confusing though! I can afford it, but wouldn't choose to spend that much normally on a car (as much as I would like to!). It's certainly a risk that I get stuck with the car and can't sell it, then either have to sell it lower than it's worth, or keep it and take a bigger depreciation hit...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I disagree. This sounds like a great opportunity to buy a (new?) Porsche at a phenomenal discount. If it's wrecked, insurance will cover at least the price paid at 20% off, and maybe more. How much will your insurance premium go up if you buy a Cayman? That is the only real gamble I can see.

If you want to minimize your hit on depreciation, then forgo all options and just buy a Standard equipped GTS. Maybe opt for the Navi, since that won't depreciate as much as the other options.
That's interesting - initially I thought the GTS might depreciate faster.

Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module +£ 2,141.00

Extras are so expensive it feels like it might be tough to get the money back, but certainly would increase speed of sale. I guess going forward more people use their phones for maps+traffic and built-in navi may get out-dated?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're doing it just to drive a Porsche for 'free' for X amt of time, I'd say you're taking a chance. You'll pretty much lose 10% the minute you drive off the lot. How long can you go after that for the additional 10%? Not sure.

Back in Dec a buddy was looking for a new GTS. I found a used one in MN with 1800 mi. He negotiated them down from $83K to $81K, straight sale. I don't know what the sticker was, but let's assume $95K for argument's sake. That's 15% depreciation in 3 mo.

IF you're going to get a Porshe, you might want to consider a Cayenne. That's the best seller and you might have a bigger audience to sell to.

IF you want to have fun, then I would order a Cayman GTS or an S. Base models don't hold their value as well. And options help make the sale vs strippers.

BUT when it comes time to sell, you'll be competing with new car sales and all the inherent advantages they have - taking trades, financing, etc. People don't just plop down $80K on a whim, so you'll have to really hustle to make a sale. Generally you have to cut your price to entice someone to buy a used almost new car vs a new one. It's a skinny market.
Another vote for the GTS/S! Sounds like you're on to something. I was thinking about the Cayman S, with no extras. I just wonder how many people will be prepared to drop that much money on a car with no extras? I suppose it's not something we can easily measure. You do make sense and those points worry me a little! Thanks for the reply.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
You do realize that all but 1 comment are basically based on US experience. You need to find a forum in your home country and look at the variables there. Data from the US will be useless to you.

·
Registered
432 Posts
As much as I would love to have a Cayman for a long time, I'll only buy if I can use the Cayman, then keep it for 6 months+, then sell it and get the original value-20% back, if that makes sense?
This sounds like the makings of a story that will sound about like this in 5 or 6 years. I had only planned to own the car 6 months...

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Most of my commentary has already been said so I won't bother repeating it.

I would add, 20%? Hope it's a legit seller, sounds too good to be true ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drive it 6 months and sell it ??? NO way I could do that. Unless it was for another Cayman.:drivingskid:
Haha, hopefully I won't get too attached to it. But if it is 6 months or 0 months...I've got to try it!

What about tax, you have to pay VAT? Should figure that into your calculation. Just me, but I wouldn't get into any current Porsche model expecting to avoid significant depreciation- well except for a GT3RS:)
I don't know, I think there is no VAT, but for simplicity it is just 20% off whatever anyone else would pay. So I can buy it anywhere and negotiate/haggle potentially too. I've read of people getting up to 10% discount on list price, which would obviously be amazing.

If you find you are getting that deal on '16 GT4 then by all means do it. If you think you will be selling it within a year then get only the options that more buyers want on the car. For me, I shopped Cayman S only (no GTS was old enough yet) and had some must have options which were PDK, Sports Chrono with Sport exhaust. I think these options are most sought after on a used S model.
Yeah, the PDK and sports exhaust are two of the three (also cruise control) that I would want myself.

Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) + £ 1,922.00
Sport Chrono Package + £ 1,376.00
Cruise control + £ 267.00
Sports exhaust system + £ 1,530.00

I could get the '16 GT4, but it would take me longer to save for that without taking money from investments and my insurance would be higher. Why do you mention it? Do you think depreciation would be lower?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You do realize that all but 1 comment are basically based on US experience. You need to find a forum in your home country and look at the variables there. Data from the US will be useless to you.
Yeah, but I'd have thought the demand for each model and demand for extras would be similar. I have posted on a UK forum, but it's not as active as p9.

This sounds like the makings of a story that will sound about like this in 5 or 6 years. I had only planned to own the car 6 months...
Haha! Maybe :naughty:

Most of my commentary has already been said so I won't bother repeating it.

I would add, 20%? Hope it's a legit seller, sounds too good to be true ...
It's a little more complicated than that. Basically I earned loyalty points that can normally be redeemed at say $80 per 100 points, but if you buy a Porsche, you get value of $100 per 100.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I could get the '16 GT4, but it would take me longer to save for that without taking money from investments and my insurance would be higher. Why do you mention it? Do you think depreciation would be lower?
Because the demand is so high that it will be near impossible for you or I or any other average Joe to get one at this time. As a result, the GT4 will take the least amount of depreciation and who knows, might even appreciate in value.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Call me sceptical, but if they are offering a 20% deal (and assuming you're not an employee or something), the deal sounds too good to be true but I will assume the discount is some kind of reward. Secondly, cars and especially performance cars are not easy to sell privately I don't think at least at the higher end of the market(£15k+). So you'd probably end up selling it back to a dealer where you will likely see a bigger hit than the normal expected depreciation. At £15k+ people prefer the nice feeling they get buying from a dealer (and the warranty), even if not wholly justified.
If it were me and I could get the 20% off I would be happy to knock off another say 5-10% for a quick sell when I wanted to sell it. You will still have lost less than most others if you can get that 20% off deal and 'should' sell quickly.
Cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed and performance cars don't come cheap in any respect. If your main interest is to not lose money which seems to be the case as you seem interested in even options that will make it easier to sell then I say don't do it personally :). You probably won't enjoy it much - might even be afraid to drive it for fear of racking up the miles.
The expensive options will make a car sell more quickly but not necessary with a great £ extra. People do love the satnav for example which is a £2k option.

So, assuming you don't take up this offer, can I have it please ? :).
Seriously, if you do go for it do it to enjoy the car and know when you sell it you will lose less than most other purchasers.

·
Registered
785 Posts
As soon as you pay for almost any vehicle, you lose at least 20% on re-sale.
Scarce vehicles usually demand a premium from those dumb enough to pay the premium.
Those that get access to high end rare vehicles have spent a lot of additional money over the years to justify the manufacturer selling to them.
If you want an investment, search elsewhere.-Richard

·
Registered
751 Posts
If depreciation is a top concern, then you may want to get a cheaper car or used car that has already taken the major hit. I don't think I could pass up a 20% discount on a Porsche even though I don't have room for another one :hilarious:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Because the demand is so high that it will be near impossible for you or I or any other average Joe to get one at this time. As a result, the GT4 will take the least amount of depreciation and who knows, might even appreciate in value.
My understanding is that the GT4 is sold out many times over in GB (as it is in most of the world). I would hazard that if you could order one at 20% off, you could drive it for six months and then sell it for MSRP (or, daresay, a slight premium). Unless you have an in with Porsche, however, I doubt that you'd be able to find an allocation for one at this stage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts