Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Cayman Interseries moving from HSR to PCA Club Racing in 2011?

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  NYPorscheChik 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Reads clear enough to me, and I'd like that move.

Two Interseries beer livery cars (Rod Ryan's #14 Lowenbrau and Jonathan Ryan's #41 Miller) ran at Potomac's VIR DE this past weekend. They parked just two "doors" up from me in the paddock. They seemed to get a lot of track time in several run groups, so other Cayman drivers (me included) could see their fronts in their rearview mirrors and their rears through their windshields over the weekend.

#4 ·
There are two PCA Club Races normally every year at tracks that are close by to me, Lime Rock & NJMP. Hopefully I'll get an up close look at these cars then.

The Northeast is the home of the most active Cayman community around! ;)

#5 · (Edited)
interesting news, indeed.

maybe the organizers of the interseries are not yet publishing this as they may have to await formal sanctioning?

see point 4 in the attached re pending Spec Class changes for 2011 for Porsche Club Racing. note that they are still taking input:

"Submit your comments via e-mail to crrules@pca.org by October 1, 2010"

--excerpted:
Spec Classes
1. Make changes to Spec classes based upon the 2011 rules for each series of origin....
2. Change class designation for SPBOX to SPB....
3. Add new spec class based on Spec 996 for 1999 – 2004 996s with 3.4L or 3.6L engines.
4. Make Cayman Interseries cars a spec class instead of part of GTB1

#6 ·
From what I gather HSR doesn't want the interseries running with them anymore so they are stuck looking for a venue to participate. PCA is really the only easy default but they are modified outside of the normal rules for any current class so PCA is making a class for them!

So what happened in HSR to make the Interseries look for a new home?

#7 ·
Someone in the know will probably tell us eventually, but it doesn't take an insider to realize that the Interseries Caymans are new, rather than historic; only their liveries are historic.

One reason that I would rather see them race with PCA is that it would enlarge their geographical range significantly. HSR venues for 2010 were Sebring (twice), Road Atlanta (twice), Savannah Harbor (twice), and Homestead. So they ran only in FL and GA this year. In 2005 they also ran Barber, WG, VIR, and CMP; so their range has shrunk. I don't know what the geographical dispersion of the Interseries cars/drivers is, but I seriously doubt that they're mostly in the deep southeast.

Considering the fact that PCA races all over the country, the Interseries group might need to select several specific PCA club races for which they will show up in mass and run for championship points.

#8 ·
Ok.......... let me kill the rumors. We have been looking at PCA as a seperate class, but that would be up to PCA, not The Cayman Interseries.

As of this date we have delivered 38 "Cayman Interseries" cars. So there are enough to make a class....just have to get them to race!!!

As for the rest of this season,we plan to race in the remaining HSR events. It appears at this point we could end up with over 25 for Sebring with HSR in October.

For 2011 we are looking at some very interesting opportunities, and when the schedule is ready, it will be posted here first!!!

Ron
Napleton Porsche

#9 ·
Thank you for the update Ron. I think you have more people interested in the fate of the Interseries cars than you may realize... Please keep us posted.

#11 ·
Hi All,

Cayman Interseries officials had a busy dual schedule this past weekend at both Road Atlanta at Petit LeMans and at the HSR Homestead Historics at Homestead-Miami Speedway, where the series was racing. Lots happening on and off the track and look for some announcements well before the end of the year.

#12 ·
Coming off a very successful first year with HSR, the Napleton Interseries cars are gaining in popularity. The cars are way cool, well prepared and the venue provided within HSR is appealing. Owner/drivers I have taked with have that twinkle in their eye when talking about the cars.
So what does PCA have in mind for these cars? Surely there will be a class for them. It reminds me of the early entries of the 993 generation Cup Cars of which I was one. Initially there were a few cars, then many at any given event. Then, the influx of 996 gens and now two generations of 997's. If PCA can find classifacation for all the iterations of Cup cars they certainly can find a home for Interseries Spec Caymans.
The Cayman Interseries cars and those that will be built by other shops and individuals represents a sensible alternative to the gearbox plagued 997's. How many 997 owners were bent over with a $10-$20 tranny bill? The Cayman Interseries car is a sensible match racing, mid engine car without the high maintenace associated with the 997. It is a well sorted, race prepped car out of the box, just like the 993, 996 and 997 cups.
Think about it, before Cup Cars there were built 911's, 914's and 930's. Have you ever looked at your receipts for building one of those? What is the build cost of a competitive, balanced and safe generation 1 Cayman?
I am looking forward to seeing these cars in class at PCA events. They represent good value, a competative match racing platform and are a complete blast to drive.
So what's the latest?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.