Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
David Heinemeier-Hansson Scores First Cayman Interseries Victory in Road Atlanta Enduro at the Mitty

BRASELTON, Ga. (May 2, 2010) – The Cayman Interseries saw its second first-time winner in as many days and races at the 34th Annual Classic Motorsports Mitty presented by Mazda at Road Atlanta where David Heinemeier-Hansson drove his No. 1 Rothmans Porsche-themed Cayman S to victory in an exciting early-morning enduro Sunday on the 2.54-mile road course.

“My car was running good,” said Hansson, who was also making his Road Atlanta debut. “I was getting a little hard on the brakes but then I came in for the pit stop and it cooled them down and it was fine for the rest of the laps. The crew set up the car just perfectly and the car was running really nicely. The tires got a little sticky but the guys changed them out, even though we didn’t have that planned, and I got new tires on when I came in. It was awesome and just such a great run.”

Hansson took the lead after a round of mandatory five-minute pit stops was completed with less than 20 minutes remaining in the timed one-hour race. He led the final 11 of the race’s 35 laps and crossed the finish line one lap ahead of Jim McCormick, who recovered from yesterday’s sprint race disappointment to finish second, in his No. 44 Porsche Cayman S that wears the colors of the Martini “Baby” Porsche 935. Collin O’Brien completed the top-three podium in his No. 4 Cayman that carries the famous paint scheme of the Wyer/Gulf Porsche 917s.

“I was kind of hoping for rain because I love to do enduros in the rain, but that wasn’t to be,” said McCormick, who remains atop of the Cayman Interseries Endurance Championship standings. “I started fourth among the Caymans and finished second thanks to a few misfortunes, which is always unfortunate, but in endurance racing you expect some of that. I was sort of steady-Eddie out there trying to keep it clean and it was just enjoyable. The car was smooth and hooked up and it was pleasant to come in second. Championships are nice but we are basically out here to have fun, but I will take it for now.”

O’Brien cracked the top five in yesterday’s sprint race and improved to hit the podium in the one-hour enduro.

“It was a surprise, but you take what you can get,” O’Brien said. “We drove a clean race with no incidents and pretty consistent laps and, luckily, a couple of guys broke or weren’t paying attention, and it worked out well. It was a good race and something we can definitely build on.”

Friday’s sprint race winner and Cayman pole sitter Steve Jenkins set the fastest race lap of 1:35.398 and led the first 23 laps until pitting for his mandatory five-minute stop. With just under 10 minutes remaining, a battle for the win seemed in store as Jenkins was closing on race leader Hansson, but a miscue on the fast downhill run leading on to the front straight sent Jenkins’ No. 36 red and white striped Salzburg Porsche 917-themed Cayman into the Turn 12 gravel trap.

“I must have lost concentration or something up there,” said Jenkins, whose sponsors include B.R.M. Watches. “I put one wheel off right at the pit lane entry and, as opposed to trying to save it and risking a certain crash, I just went straight and tried to save the car and ended up stuck in the gravel trap. Initially, I started to roll backwards but it sunk right in. I was hoping that I could roll back out and make a run for it, but that wasn’t in the cards this morning.”

Atlanta-based driver Lee Davis rebounded from a delay during his pit stop to stage a late-race comeback for the second straight day in his No. 333 Cayman that runs the livery of the Advan Porsche 962s. In the Friday sprint, Davis overcame a first lap contact incident with McCormick to grab the final podium spot with a last-lap pass for third. With less than two minutes remaining in Sunday’s enduro, Davis passed Bill Riddell for fourth just before the white flag waved.

“We had a little issue in the pits,” said Davis, who runs with support from Luna C Clothing. “I cranked it up, got the go sign and went, and nothing happened. The crew guys are great and came over pretty quick and pushed me behind the wall, because you can’t open the hood unless you are behind the wall, and they reset a switch and then I could go. It put me back a little bit but that just gave me another chance to have some fun and charge through the field.”

Riddell completed the top five in his No. 80 green and white-striped Cayman that pays tribute to a David Piper Racing Porsche 917.

Next up for the Cayman Interseries is a sprint race Sunday afternoon that will close the weekend’s activities at Road Atlanta. A full report on that race and more Cayman Interseries news and notes from the 34th Annual Classic Motorsports Mitty presented by Mazda at Road Atlanta will be distributed on Monday, May 3.

ABOUT THE CAYMAN INTERSERIES
Established in 2009 by Napleton Porsche of Westmont, Illinois, the Cayman Interseries is North America’s only auto racing championship featuring the exclusive use of the 320-horsepower Porsche Cayman S. Sanctioned by Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR), the Cayman Interseries is conducting its first official season in 2010 and will crown a pair of champion drivers in both the sprint and endurance racing formats. Races will be run on legendary circuits such as Daytona, Sebring, Road America, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta and other premier venues. Every competing Porsche Cayman S is exclusively supplied and prepared by Napleton Porsche and each car competes with an assigned and specific heritage livery themed after a famous Porsche race car from the past. Learn more about the Cayman Interseries at Napleton Motorsports. Phone calls direct to Napleton Porsche may be made at (630) 725-0911 and email inquiries can be sent to [email protected].

CI-10-09

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thanks for the rundown.

On 1 May I watched part of tthe Grand Am GS race at VIR. A 3.6L carrera and a Cayman S really went at it for quite a few laps until they had to pit. I think Porsche finished 3-4 or 4-5 in the GS class. The Cayman really shined in the twisty parts. And they were very close to the BMW V-8 and Mustang 302 V8 race leaders. Ed

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think the Cayman may have been the No. 44 Magnus entry of John Potter and Leh Keen, or maybe even Steve Jenkins in the BGB Cayman. In addition to the Cayman Interseries, I also handle the PR for Dempsey Racing in GRAND-AM. One of our team drivers is reigning GT co-Champion Leh Keen who has also driven the No. 44 Magnus Cayman in the last two races. He says the car really came around at VIR and they finished 10th overall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.