Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The whole Porsche line does well, except for those crazy Cayenne drivers. Here are the ratings:

Cayenne #69
Boxster #309
911 #447
Panamera #490
Cayman #512

·
Registered
307 Posts
Funny, given how fast some people say they drive in the "average trip speed" thread around here, lol! I'll keep mine around +(10..15) on the highways; I have a gold car from a buddy and, while I've never used it, I figure it's got to be good for +15, haha!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
That's awesome and not to take any credit away from Cayman drivers being more responsible but at some point, it becomes a numbers game. Dodge Viper is ranked 522nd. The more cars on the road, yadda yadda...

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
My anecdotal experience is that there is a direct correlation between the price of the vehicle and how it's driven. Drivers of $100K+ cars tend to drive their cars a lot more responsibly than those who drive inexpensive cars, at least that's the way it is in my area. That's not to say that 981 owners always obey speed limits; it's that they do their "spirited" driving on a selective basis.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Speeders are beware of the cops that they tend to resort to radar detectors what not. Laid back drivers with slower cars are caught lowered guards.

Have to check how fast they were going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
As a generality, more affluent drivers (a category that includes most Porsche owners) are far more likely to get their tickets "adjusted" to a non-moving violation that doesn't appear on their record. I think the stats would be far different if it could be based on traffic violation stops, rather than convictions.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Whether or not the Cayman is the least ticketed car is more of an indication of the percentage of cars that are Caymans than the fact that they are ticketed. Suppose you have a jar of 10,000 jelly beans but only 100 are green. The rest are an even assortment of red, blue, and black or 3300 of each. That means you have a 1% chance of picking a green jelly bean out of the jar blind folded. In fact it doesn't matter how many other colors or in what proportion they are in. It only matters how many are the color you are looking for out of the whole mess. Add to that how many of these caymans are out on the road compared to other cars at any given time keeping in mind that many cayman owners don't drive their machines everyday. Entire seasons may go by before they are on the road again. The only stat that matters is how many tickets have you personally received since owning a Cayman.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Whether or not the Cayman is the least ticketed car is more of an indication of the percentage of cars that are Caymans than the fact that they are ticketed. Suppose you have a jar of 10,000 jelly beans but only 100 are green. The rest are an even assortment of red, blue, and black or 3300 of each. That means you have a 1% chance of picking a green jelly bean out of the jar blind folded. In fact it doesn't matter how many other colors or in what proportion they are in. It only matters how many are the color you are looking for out of the whole mess. Add to that how many of these caymans are out on the road compared to other cars at any given time keeping in mind that many cayman owners don't drive their machines everyday. Entire seasons may go by before they are on the road again. The only stat that matters is how many tickets have you personally received since owning a Cayman.
But it's the percentage of owners with recent violations on their records, so the small number of Caymans is irrelevant. I do agree that Caymans are driven a lot less than the top ticketed cars, and the more time that you are on the road, the better the chance of being ticketed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
A more useful statistic would be tickets per mile driven. I suspect Caymans and Vipers are not driven as many miles per year as a daily driver such as a WRX our even a Cayenne. As I understand this study, it would not matter if the Cayman is driven 5000 miles per year while the WRX is driven 15000. All other things being equal, in that scenario, the WRX driver would be three times more likely to get a ticket anyhow.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
But it's the percentage of owners with recent violations on their records, so the small number of Caymans is irrelevant. I do agree that Caymans are driven a lot less than the top ticketed cars, and the more time that you are on the road, the better the chance of being ticketed.
The smaller the sample (in this case, the number of Cayman owners applying for new insurance coverage) the less accurate the rating metric.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
As a generality, more affluent drivers (a category that includes most Porsche owners) are far more likely to get their tickets "adjusted" to a non-moving violation that doesn't appear on their record. I think the stats would be far different if it could be based on traffic violation stops, rather than convictions.
I tend to agree. Perhaps the police feel Porsche owners are more likely to challenge the ticket in court and it isn't worth the officer's time to go to court, only to see the offense reduced or thrown out.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I tend to agree. Perhaps the police feel Porsche owners are more likely to challenge the ticket in court and it isn't worth the officer's time to go to court, only to see the offense reduced or thrown out.
Yep. Exactly what I did when I got a ticket for going 37 in a 35. I got a copy of his dash cam and found one inconsistency that discredited the officer. Presented to the prosecutor before the "trial" and she dropped the ticket.

If you are interested, here is the inconsitency: I claimed the officer only pulled me over because I was driving a brand new Porsche at 3am (coming home from work) while driving through a really bad town (high crime rate). Literally 37 in a 35 and I was the only car on the road. He didn't have probable cause and likely wanted to know who was driving, did I have a hooker or drugs in the car or if I was drunk. When I challenged the officer at the scene (and you can hear me on the tape) and said, you only put your lights on as soon as you saw what type of car I was driving (he was slowly catching up to me on the road). He replied that is not correct, and said "I had my lights on well before I pulled you over". This was a lie which is why I got his dash cam video. You can see from his siren lights reflecting off the nearby buidlings exactly when he put his lights on.......just before he pulled me over. Boom! After the ticket was dropped, I followed up with a letter to the chief of police.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Or,... maybe the Porsche driver, having more financial resources, is more likely to have a radar detector, OR is more likely to engage an attorney for a speeding ticket.

Both apply to me.

YMMV,

John

·
Banned
92 Posts
That's awesome and not to take any credit away from Cayman drivers being more responsible but at some point, it becomes a numbers game. Dodge Viper is ranked 522nd. The more cars on the road, yadda yadda...
Bingo, just like many other members had mentioned, there are less of these cars on the road - so from a statistical stand point, the cars that are more popular on average (Fords, Hondas, Toyotas, etc) are more likely to be higher on the list of ticketed vehicles because they have many many more opportunities to BE ticketed because more of them exist on the road.

Statistics can so easily be manipulated depending on how the data sample is taken and presented.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I would add that the police are so mesmerized by the beauty of the Cayman, that by the time they come to their senses it is too late:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was stopped about 3 months ago doing 28 over, 78 in a 50 and was let off. I was polite, admitted I was going too fast. He ran a check to see if I had any warrants (none). Told me to slow down, asked me what year it was-had a brief chat about Porsche's and that was it. My lucky day. Had the desired effect, been much slower since. That far over the limit I could have been in real trouble. As to why, not sure maybe he was a petrol/gear head?

Machog

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think the percentage of drivers with tickets is a more interesting statistic than position on the list. That's pretty well normalized already, so it doesn't matter if there are fewer of the cars on the road. The average is 19.9% of drivers have ticket.

Boxster: 18.1%
Cayman: 7.4%

The Boxster drivers are not significantly different from average, the Cayman drivers are very significantly below average. (And the Viper down at 5.3% is interesting.) That probably says something interesting about the difference between Cayman and Boxster drivers.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
. . . That probably says something interesting about the difference between Cayman and Boxster drivers.
The data suggest that you're probably right, though it's hard to guess that Cayman and Boxster drivers are likely to be so very different from each other. Any guesses what's going on here? Maybe the convertible top catches the eyes of the cops? Maybe something else? As the raw data did not provide what statisticians call 'standard deviations' it's always possible that despite the wide difference in raw scores, it might still be due to chance. But that seems hard to imagine. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I think the percentage of drivers with tickets is a more interesting statistic than position on the list. That's pretty well normalized already, so it doesn't matter if there are fewer of the cars on the road. The average is 19.9% of drivers have ticket.

Boxster: 18.1%
Cayman: 7.4%

The Boxster drivers are not significantly different from average, the Cayman drivers are very significantly below average. (And the Viper down at 5.3% is interesting.) That probably says something interesting about the difference between Cayman and Boxster drivers.
Cayman drivers tend to be much older, since there's room in the back for their folding walkers. Boxster owners, on the other hand, have less storage room for such aids and have to rely on their own strength to enter and exit the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts