Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
good question.. I have an '08 Boxster with around 6500. I'm taking it in Monday for a tech inspection and oil change. I asked if I should do anything else and my mechanic said I shouldn't need anything yet. Last fall, he told me I didn't need oil yet either. I guess I just feel like I want some fresh oil.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought a 2005 Boxster last April that had 18k miles and looked like it had not been driven much (but more than yours I guess). I had the oil/filter changed, along with air filter, cabin air filter, and flushed the brake fluid. I wanted to at least feel comfortable with those items as I took over ownership. If this is a recent purchase for yourself, you may wish to do the same. But also, as the post above mentions, look over the manual to see what time-based items you may also want to consider.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply. My concern is having work done that may not be needed. For example replacing spark plugs after 4 years. I done understand, as my Cayman only has 6,000 miles and plug replacements are, I think, more (or should be more) based on miles.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I have a 2006 Cayman S with 6,000 miles. What maintenance should I have performed?
Thanks for your reply. My concern is having work done that may not be needed. For example replacing spark plugs after 4 years. I done understand, as my Cayman only has 6,000 miles and plug replacements are, I think, more (or should be more) based on miles.
The service interval for '06s is every 20K miles or 2 years. Your car should have had its first Minor Service at 2 years (irrespective of mileage); next service due at 4 years (you should get a message on the dash when due), but I agree, with only 6K miles on the car, I would only pay for minor service that is due (I don't think spark plugs are due at 40K/4 years).

·
On Probation
582 Posts
I might not replace the plugs at 4 years, but I'd think about having a mechanic remove and re-seat the current set. Wouldn't want those to seize in their sockets.
if they use a crush washer replace them rather than loosen retighten

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.