Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My year wait has diminished as I have finally found a ***** in my wife's armor!!!:hilarious:

My dillemma is that I have found a great '09 CS that I want to pounce on.

My two questions for the serious CS crew out there are:

1) PDK equipped (wife gotta drive and I am okay with it) BUT no sport chrono. Is this a major problem or can a softronic flash do the exact same for me?

2) No Bi-Zenon. Although the dealer said they could add this? I am not sure.

Otherwise the car is specced perfect. Looking for advise and dying to become a legit CS owner!!

HELP! Time sensitive (as any Porsche emergency is!)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have an '09 with PDK and sports chrono and I honestly never use the thing. I wouldn't have any problems getting a PDK without chrono. If you mash the gas, your call will haul, chrono or no chrono.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an '09 with PDK and sports chrono and I honestly never use the thing. I wouldn't have any problems getting a PDK without chrono. If you mash the gas, your call will haul, chrono or no chrono.
That is what the dealer told me when I brought up the fact.

He said punch it and it will still cook! Plus with buttons (sigh where are the pedals) and the sport shift aren't you ultimately in control of your gearing?

Maybe the throttle response tweak is the difference? But I think aftermarket flash programs can fix this.

Still confused lol!

The car is meteor gray and you don't see that often. At least I don't around here. Mostly silver & black.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Softtronic will do as a Sport Chrono replacement but it is by no means an integrated Launch Control button replacement. I have a Sport Chrono and 6 MT and love the better response with Sport Chrono especially in the twisties. I have my own manual Launch Control mode of revving to 2K and then pop the clutch while flooring it.

I have Bi Xenons and will never go back.

Are you buying this car as a racer or a dual husband / wife fun car? Are you going to hot rod this car at the light against other wannabe Sports Cars? Probably not. My inkling is that you two will enjoy the car for what it is.

So if you can negotiate your disappointment of having no Sport Chrono with the dealer for let's say -15% and your wife jump in there and say toss in free Bi Xenon upgrade (spendy) - buy it. I leverage my wife as the War Department in auto deals and it works everytime. Good luck.

If this advice works for you and if I ever have a business trip in your part of Texas, I hope we can have lunch / dinner and a ride in your beautiful car.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Softtronic will do as a Sport Chrono replacement but it is by no means an integrated Launch Control button replacement. I have a Sport Chrono and 6 MT and love the better response with Sport Chrono especially in the twisties. I have my own manual Launch Control mode of revving to 2K and then pop the clutch while flooring it.

I have Bi Xenons and will never go back.

Are you buying this car as a racer or a dual husband / wife fun car? Are you going to hot rod this car at the light against other wannabe Sports Cars? Probably not. My inkling is that you two will enjoy the car for what it is.

So if you can negotiate your disappointment of having no Sport Chrono with the dealer for let's say -15% and your wife jump in there and say toss in free Bi Xenon upgrade (spendy) - buy it. I leverage my wife as the War Department in auto deals and it works everytime. Good luck.

If this advice works for you and if I ever have a business trip in your part of Texas, I hope we can have lunch / dinner and a ride in your beautiful car.
"War Department" - That is priceless! Hysterical!

Good advice thanks.

·
Registered
992 Posts
That is what the dealer told me when I brought up the fact.

He said punch it and it will still cook! Plus with buttons (sigh where are the pedals) and the sport shift aren't you ultimately in control of your gearing?

Maybe the throttle response tweak is the difference? But I think aftermarket flash programs can fix this.

Still confused lol!

The car is meteor gray and you don't see that often. At least I don't around here. Mostly silver & black.
Porsche Technology Glossary

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
"War Department" - That is priceless! Hysterical!

Good advice thanks.
I saw your other post. My War Department says get the 2010 since the Bi Xenon $1560 and Sport Chrono $1320 is a bit over 1/3 of the $8K difference. That leaves you about $5000 for the extra 13,000 miles of the 2009. Not worth it unless you get lower price and free Bi Xenon.

The Softtronic will cost about $800 anyway but you will not have the integrated launch control function which you may or may not use. For $5,000 difference I would rather have a choice of not using frequently rather than saying - I wish I had that option. I am with scottshoe on this one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Personally, I would not buy a PDK car without Sport Chrono. That was one thing that made my search take longer! Unless it's just a daily driver, then it shouldn't matter. But to really get the most from the PDK it's a must.

A software flash will help some, but will not replicate the SC functions. The difference between normal, sport, and sport plus is amazing! With most software, you get one choice, not three. (APR is one exception, but they do not yet have a flash for the DFI Caymans) And, you certainly wouldn't want the only mode to be 'sport plus'!! While great for the track, it's not really pleasant on the streets. The Sprint Booster will give you better throttle response, but won't change the shift points like SC does. Nothing will give you the launch control feature.

Headlights? Xenon or not, not a priority of mine. The vast majority of the time I'm driving in daylight.

And the PDK steering wheel is easy to replace with the new paddle-shift version if that's an issue.

Meteor Gray is a great color. If everything else is perfect, go for it. Unless you do a lot of track days, you will never miss the SC.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Test both and decide for yourself. I personally wouldn't go PDK without SC, but who am I to say because I bought 6MT with SC+. If you take PDK to track or DE the sport plus function will emulate auto sports shifting leaving you free to concentrate on staying on the road while driving in auto mode. I think that must be a very cool feature and I would love to try it, but can't. There are a number of PDK people on this forum and I'm sure they will help you if you wait for a few more posts before making your decision.I did test drive a 09 CS with PDK and SC+ and it was a blast.:cheers:

I love MGM!!!! :dance:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
+1

taking delivery on Saturday, 2010 Speed Yellow Cayman, PDK, LSD and Sport Chrono....oh, and don't forget the yellow seat belts!!!

Personally, I would not buy a PDK car without Sport Chrono. That was one thing that made my search take longer! Unless it's just a daily driver, then it shouldn't matter. But to really get the most from the PDK it's a must.

A software flash will help some, but will not replicate the SC functions. The difference between normal, sport, and sport plus is amazing! With most software, you get one choice, not three. (APR is one exception, but they do not yet have a flash for the DFI Caymans) And, you certainly wouldn't want the only mode to be 'sport plus'!! While great for the track, it's not really pleasant on the streets. The Sprint Booster will give you better throttle response, but won't change the shift points like SC does. Nothing will give you the launch control feature.

Headlights? Xenon or not, not a priority of mine. The vast majority of the time I'm driving in daylight.

And the PDK steering wheel is easy to replace with the new paddle-shift version if that's an issue.

Meteor Gray is a great color. If everything else is perfect, go for it. Unless you do a lot of track days, you will never miss the SC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I too would pass on the PDK w/o SC. There is a HUGE difference between 'normal' mode and one of the sport modes. Don't believe the dealer when they say just mash the throttle and you will never know you don't have SC. There is so much more to it than that! Our Cayman is a totally different beast when SC is used and when it isn't. We find without using SC, it seems sluggish.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think that there are aftermarket ways to add bixenon. I think that there are threads on this forum to that fact.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know if BiXenons can be added but IMHO these headlights are fantastic.
I'll never go without again!

Yes I agree. VERY nice Cayman by the way. Meteor is soo nice.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I too would pass on the PDK w/o SC. There is a HUGE difference between 'normal' mode and one of the sport modes. Don't believe the dealer when they say just mash the throttle and you will never know you don't have SC. There is so much more to it than that! Our Cayman is a totally different beast when SC is used and when it isn't. We find without using SC, it seems sluggish.
I am really feeling that. I have to have PDK so as most of you have enlightened me I really feel I need SC. They are like yin and yang.

Hope a well optioned Meteor Gray shows up somewhere in the near future or I am looking at dropping a whole lot more to build it <gasp>.

The dealer in Dallas just took delivery of a '11 Cayman today. He said the bulk of them (CS more predominantly) will be coming in a few months.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. And thanks for pulling me off the edge. I had to decline both dealers and it broke my heart. I really wish I could have combined the best options on both of those cars. It would have been perfect to me.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
I really wish I could have combined the best options on both of those cars. It would have been perfect to me.
Have you thought of looking out of state? That could open up many other possibilities.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.