Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

If money wasn't a factor, which would you choose?

• Cayman S over Carrera

Votes: 99 27.3%
  • Cayman S over Carrera S

Votes: 124 34.2%
  • Carrera over Cayman S

Votes: 17 4.7%
  • Carrera S over Cayman S

Votes: 192 52.9%

• Total voters
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I had always chuckled at this topic, until this past weekend. To put this in perspective, I had looked at 2002-2004 996s for about 18 months from 2005-2006, drove a Cayman in Nov 2006 (I had driven a 986 BoxterS, but was not overly interested in a convertable since I do like to do DEs / Open Track Days etc.), and bought my CaymanS within a week of that test drive. It was such a no brainer.

Recently, my wife had asked me "what Porsche would you replace the CayamnS with?" - well, of course that kind of question always gets your mind going.

One of the local dealers had a PCNA executive car (yes, the sticker said "PCNA - Not for Resale") 2007 C4S Targa with 24,000 miles on it. I thought, might as well go take a look for grins. And I thought, if I take it for a drive, it will just convince me that there is no way it is worth $30k or more than my car on a trade, and that would be that. Well, the interior was a bit too "used" for me, but they had an 07 S Cab that I decided to take for a test drive just to put my mind at ease that a CarerraS isn't really on my "want" list. I know the salesman quite well through the local PCA, and he headed me out on thier "secret" route that includes some nice roads through empty office parks. And, at one point he said, hit this apex and nail it up the hill.

OK - I want a CarerraS, and I want a cabriolet. Is it goint to be this one? I just dont know at this point. It is a very different drive, and I really liked it.

It is really a game changer from my perspective given how I use the car too.

What got my attention:
The gearbox / shifter was just silky smooth
PASM and Sport Chrono are awesome (my CaymanS does not have them)
The power delivery is very different than the CaymanS
You can feel the weight and weight distribution difference - when you hit the throttle coming off a corner, you really feel the back end dig in much more so than the CaymanS
I really like the idea of a cab now............

The decision process.........
It is a bit more money that I really want to spend at the moment (the CaymanS trade is basically 1/2 the all in difference +/- $1-$2K), but in the big picture I could afford it if I want to.

I would probably give up DEs, as I really don't think I want to track a cab, although I would probably do at least 1 in it to wring it out properly. But after doing DEs, racing schools and open track days for over 10 years, I keep asking myself how much longer I am going to do this anyway (even with the CaymanS).

AutoX, just a different class.

Is the CaymanS a great car, and will I be happy with it if I decide to keep it - absoluty. Is it, and has it been a perfect car for me over the last 4 years given my expectations, and how I drive the car - you bet. Is it time to try something new and different, probably, but I need to decide if right now is the time to do it, but the surprise is that I actually have to answer this question.........and I think if it is not this car, a CarerraS cab will be in my garage in the not too distant future. Decisions decisions..............

Regards

·
Registered
40 Posts
both are good. cayman is my first RWD car (and of course first mid-engine car). so for me it's a good start for the world of RWD sports coupe. next time (in a year or two) i plan to buy either new 911 GT3 or used ferrari f430.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
To me the last Ruf 930 DP/slantnoes which to this day regret selling was the apex for Porsche but I have been a mid engined guy for a long time. And have been blessed to drive a lot of varients of the 911's now they look like aerodymaic turds but they hold there resale better than any other Porsche except the GT. It's all in ones perspective but the driving characteristics of the CS are just to good!

But I would [NOT TURN DOWN ONE OF THOSE AERODYNAMIC TURDS IF IT WERE TO COME MY WAY VIA LOTTO OR RAFFLE. I STARTED OUT TO BUY AN AUDI R8 AND WOUND UP WITH 2 PORSCHES MY WIFE WAS WILLING TO GIVE THE GREEN ON THE R8 BUT I WOULD HAVE BEEN A SELFISH PRICK SO WE GOT 2 FOR LESS THAN THE R8 I WAS LOOKING AT. THE COOLEST THING I HAD BEEN TO THE DEALER EARLIER IN THE DAY AND SHE THOUGHT I CHANGED MY MIND WHEN THEY ROLLED OUT A BLACK AND ORANGE GT3. BUT WHEN WE GOT BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP THERE WAS HER LIMITED BOXSTER RIBBON AND ALL ALONGSIDE MY CS. Priceless

61 - 64 of 64 Posts