1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no, not an April Fool's joke
been waiting on an ordered 2010 Cayman for months
only limited options
car has been pushed back/delayed for months
my only conclusion is production of the Cayman has been terminated or halted
haven't seen anyone take delivery of an ordered car for quite some time
scenarios are many, production problems with certain options like LSD (Interseries cars were having issues with theirs)
volcanic ash, who wants their paint destroyed by fine volcanic ash particles
unions, why let production continue out of country when worldwide economic slump continues
contracts, if Cayman is to be continued, where is it going to be built and what is the schedule to wind down production at Valmet and start production at a facility in Germany, transition could take a few months, could be lots of legal hassles going on about the whole contract issue
Cayman may have just run its course and doesn't fit into the new 991 lineup
as more and more Caymans show up and perform as equally well, or better than 911s, Porsche may have decided to just eliminate the issue, get rid of the Cayman and you end the discussion
all speculation you say, well prove it, who has seen 2010s rolling off the production line, and where?
last word I received was I was getting a 2010 Cayman with a production date of May 19, may still happen, then again, may not
nobody seems to have any info on 2010s/2011s, sure some of that is to be expected during model year changeover
but things have been really quiet on the Cayman and Porsche is always tight lipped about any potential changes/cancellations in the lineup
those who know can't say, and those you ask don't know because ignorance is bliss
searching dealer inventory, there are many dealers who have none, the big zero in their inventory, not a resounding indorsement of a car you expect to retain in your model lineup
on the other hand, there are quite a few dealers who have a fair supply of Caymans in inventory
so, welcome your comments/conclusions
wouldn't bother me to get a 2011 instead of a 2010, except for the price increase (partially offset by the new freebie options)
would be a shame if the Cayman isn't in the cards at all

·
Registered
372 Posts
Not sure I a buy into the grassy knoll conspiracy theroy, but I must say that there are only three Caymans in all of the DFW area. Park Place has none and Autobahn in Fort Worth has 2 and Boardwalk has only 1..........hummmmmm

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
All that guessing aside, I think you will find the factory has gone to batch building, ie holding production until they accumulate enough orders. Its common for many manufacturers. So sales must be way way way down. [is that enough ways?] Still, not good.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
no, not an April Fool's joke
been waiting on an ordered 2010 Cayman for months
only limited options
car has been pushed back/delayed for months
my only conclusion is production of the Cayman has been terminated or halted
haven't seen anyone take delivery of an ordered car for quite some time
scenarios are many, production problems with certain options like LSD (Interseries cars were having issues with theirs)
volcanic ash, who wants their paint destroyed by fine volcanic ash particles
unions, why let production continue out of country when worldwide economic slump continues
contracts, if Cayman is to be continued, where is it going to be built and what is the schedule to wind down production at Valmet and start production at a facility in Germany, transition could take a few months, could be lots of legal hassles going on about the whole contract issue
Cayman may have just run its course and doesn't fit into the new 991 lineup
as more and more Caymans show up and perform as equally well, or better than 911s, Porsche may have decided to just eliminate the issue, get rid of the Cayman and you end the discussion
all speculation you say, well prove it, who has seen 2010s rolling off the production line, and where?
last word I received was I was getting a 2010 Cayman with a production date of May 19, may still happen, then again, may not
nobody seems to have any info on 2010s/2011s, sure some of that is to be expected during model year changeover
but things have been really quiet on the Cayman and Porsche is always tight lipped about any potential changes/cancellations in the lineup
those who know can't say, and those you ask don't know because ignorance is bliss
searching dealer inventory, there are many dealers who have none, the big zero in their inventory, not a resounding indorsement of a car you expect to retain in your model lineup
on the other hand, there are quite a few dealers who have a fair supply of Caymans in inventory
so, welcome your comments/conclusions
wouldn't bother me to get a 2011 instead of a 2010, except for the price increase (partially offset by the new freebie options)
would be a shame if the Cayman isn't in the cards at all
Papa,

When did you place your order? I ask that question because my CS order also had LSD and took almost 6 months from the order date. Another member here just got his car delivered and his wait was 2 weeks longer than mine. Porsche did slow production on the 2010 CS, but there is some good news you will have a CS with very low U.S. production numbers "RARE" hang in there I think you will get your car!

·
Registered
169 Posts
LOL, April 2010 U.S. sales of Caymans/Boxsters were up almost 20% over April 2009 (Finland produced cars) and
my late Jan order (with LSD, on the car, by the way) was mfg. late March and here by late April. (picked it up 14 days ago)
At the April higher sales rate, 2010 Cay/Box sales will surpass 2009's rate after Sept.
Darn these facts!! How can a guy on an internet forum start a good panic?
:hilarious:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I got my car in December, ordered it in late August and it had masses of options (including the LSD) and loads of tailored stuff like painted wheels and all the stitching inside varigated. Was about 15 weeks which is not bad for such a unique car.

Maybe the production quotas are being given priority for delivery to other parts of the world if sales are not great in the US?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Production on all sports cars has been slowed due to previous overflow on dealer lots and the incredible discounting that resulted in a simultaneously faltering economy. Porsche's were selling at prices that management didn't consider commensurate w/ an exclusive brand such as Porsche. I think that most internet forums fail to appreciate is that Porsche management is obsessed w/ protecting their concept of the brand image. For instance, why on earth does Porsche management really care about posting an order guide on the internet? Papa, hope you get your car sooner rather than later!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Ok, I hope my post doesn't offend anybody... but I am afraid that the Cayman has no admirers outside this forum!

Yes, we can all keep on talking about its grip/handling and how Porsche are depriving it power to protect it's flagship... but the bottom line, the Cayman is not appealing to the crowd as much as the 911 and selling far less than any 911 !!! To the common man it is not a 911... and to some (even on this forum) "a 911 is a 911 no matter what!"

"Maybe" between a Cayman vs. Carrera (or Cayman S vs. Carrera S), I'd choose the Cayman... but when we talk 911 turbo, GT3, GT3 RS, Gt2 and now the Gt2 RS. For the love of God, what is the Cayman in comparison to these top of the line engineering!

So unless the Cayman is the best you could afford, you are blindsided by the love of your Cayman, you're mods freak or the Cayman is another Porsche of yours... chances are you will go for a 911.

Regardless of your worries Papa of Austin, but it could be very likely that the Cayman we own now will not exist past 2012. It may have 4 cylinders instead with a turbo... if not, put to sleep for good!

The market is set by demand... and the demand is for the flagship. Therefore, Porsche will continue to invest and develop in the 911.

Who knows? Maybe the 911 will get a mid-engine in few years... then there will be no reason for the Cayman to exist!

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I disagree, there are plenty of Cayman admirers outside of this forum and many of them can't tell you the difference between a Cayman or a 911 and probably don't care. They see a Cayman and they like it. There will always be car bigots for one model or another and certainly a large cadre of 911 bigots has developed over the last almost 50 years that the car has been around so you will run into these people. I suggest either ignoring them or smiling politely and moving on. Porsche keeps an artificial separation between the Cayman and 911, enthusiasts know that, and owners just need to accept it and be happy with what they have. Don't focus on consumerism and must have whatever the latest gadget is, etc. focus on the enjoyment you get and if you aren't enjoying what you are doing then do something else that you do enjoy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My beloved E86 was totaled a month ago (The ///M Coupe just became a rarer automobile - ZPOST) and I now find myself in the predicament of finding a car with soul and performance that I can track reguarly. I'm in the DFW area as well and as if selection of 987CS.2s isn't problem enough, now apparently DFI is also problematic (on a side note, no one mentioned DFI problems as a possible cause for the stoppage -- maybe they're trying to figure out what the problem is so they can get it fixed).

But, as someone researching a possible 987CS.2 purchase, and in response to some of the comments above, it does seem irritatingly like the Cayman gets the old-stock left-overs between the Boxster and the Carerra -- Case in point that the PDK in the Cayman doesn't get paddles and instead has the same old crappy rocker switches on the wheel. Maybe I'm completely off-base...dunno.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I disagree, there are plenty of Cayman admirers outside of this forum and many of them can't tell you the difference between a Cayman or a 911 and probably don't care. They see a Cayman and they like it. There will always be car bigots for one model or another and certainly a large cadre of 911 bigots has developed over the last almost 50 years that the car has been around so you will run into these people. I suggest either ignoring them or smiling politely and moving on. Porsche keeps an artificial separation between the Cayman and 911, enthusiasts know that, and owners just need to accept it and be happy with what they have. Don't focus on consumerism and must have whatever the latest gadget is, etc. focus on the enjoyment you get and if you aren't enjoying what you are doing then do something else that you do enjoy.
Ken, if it only takes an attack against the Cayman in order to win you back with us, rest assured I'll do it more often :D

I'm not saying I don't like my Cayman. And in my case I rarely meet a Porsche owner or someone who even knows which is which considering where I work. Therefore, I am not disturbed by any outsider or comment.

But I can't deny the truth that the 911 sells better, has more admirers and has the best engineering development in all its range against the Cayman.

Cheers Ken... this is the 2nd time I catch you on the forum this week! I consider myself lucky! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
moralem,
understood that this post would appear "like the sky is falling"
where is Mega when you need a wingman?
last I saw Park Place had quite a few Caymans (both models)
just trying to see if any of the experts had a good logical answer
Porsche has not provided any specific reasons (not that I expect them to do so), other than an update to my sales guy every two weeks, that the date has slipped
and again today, slipped to May 25

falcon,
originally a Feb build, now delayed again

it's a 2.9l Cayman (hence not a DFI)

cpsu,
sales figures comparisons (in percentage terms are meaningless)
especially considering that 2009 sales figures were a low water mark
so, a 20% increase may sound like a lot, but it's not
the old saying, "figures lie, and liars figure"
the bean counters can use these figures to make things look rosy, wow a 20% increase (but you realize if I sold one car in Mar of 2009 and 2 cars in Mar of 2010, that I just attained 100%, increase, WOW! Projecting that forward we'll have everyone over the age of 13 driving Caymans in just a few years)
now those same bean counters could be cutting the entire model lineup because a 20% increase didn't meet their cost/benefit analysis goals of retaining the model
I'm sure that most view this post as rampant internet speculation, glad you got your car
I'm sure I'll get mine, maybe it will be a 2011 if it's not a 2010
or maybe it will be Plan B

Hassaan,
+1
if the Cayman had more admirers, it would be selling in greater numbers

4by4,
thanks for your comment, batch production is the most logical explanation
agree that sales are still dowwwwwwn!

Papa,

When did you place your order? I ask that question because my CS order also had LSD and took almost 6 months from the order date. Another member here just got his car delivered and his wait was 2 weeks longer than mine. Porsche did slow production on the 2010 CS, but there is some good news you will have a CS with very low U.S. production numbers "RARE" hang in there I think you will get your car!

·
Registered
141 Posts
What!!
I need my 2011 Cayman S
What do u think...buy a 2010 with options and color i do not want or order the 2011.
p.s. I to think that the cayman/boxter lineup will change to turbo 4's along with a 6 option. Part of the master plan by you know who, VW. German cars for the masses.:(
Cheers

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Just to note, I love my crappy rocker switches on my PDK steering wheel.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just a thought. As the market ebbs and flows it takes companies time to adjust. As luxury item sales were off a bit due to the market it would be good business to be sure not to overproduce. Better to have a slightly higher demand than supply.

For example I have been looking for a CS PDK with PASM, bixenon, heated seats and sport chrono plus as a possible replacement for my 2006 CS. I have not seen any on the used market, even the combo of PDK and PASM seems elusive. Perhaps they aren't that popular or they weren't ordered with this combination or the leases have yet to expire or perhaps they are so well loved by their current owners they are being kept for a while until the next great gadget appears.

It is all just conjecture. I surmise that it is a combination of several if not all the possibilities proposed here. With the popularity of the 987 I don't think it will disappear and the cayman is so similar to the boxster I am sure it isn't hugely expensive to produce as many components are shared. More conjecture.

Now, where is my 918?!? :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have read all the responses to "Papa in Austin"'s thread and well they are all over the board. His posted the thread for information, to see if others were seeing extensive delays in customer ordered AND Porsche accepted 2010 Cayman (S) units ... not inventory cars. Didn't get much feedback on that question but lots of shotgunning. To put things in perspective I ordered a 2010 Cayman with PDK, Limited slip, PASM, sport Chrono and sport bucket seats in early to mid October 2009 against a late November build slot. The car was completed 30 November (less than a week in production from start to finish) and I took delivery the second week in January.Remember Europe shuts down for almost two weeks during Christmas. That was the same length of time that my C2S took a year prior. Papa in Austin's car has been in the paint shop for almost two weeks and the production completion date has been moved incrementally from late Feb to now 25 May. I think any of us, put in his situation would insist on some answers.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I have read all the responses to "Papa in Austin"'s thread and well they are all over the board. His posted the thread for information, to see if others were seeing extensive delays in customer ordered AND Porsche accepted 2010 Cayman (S) units ... not inventory cars. Didn't get much feedback on that question but lots of shotgunning. To put things in perspective I ordered a 2010 Cayman with PDK, Limited slip, PASM, sport Chrono and sport bucket seats in early to mid October 2009 against a late November build slot. The car was completed 30 November (less than a week in production from start to finish) and I took delivery the second week in January.Remember Europe shuts down for almost two weeks during Christmas. That was the same length of time that my C2S took a year prior. Papa in Austin's car has been in the paint shop for almost two weeks and the production completion date has been moved incrementally from late Feb to now 25 May. I think any of us, put in his situation would insist on some answers.
I agree with everything that you said. My car was ordered in September 09 and delivered in March 2010. The build date was also delayed. Anyone this this situation should get some straight answers. I did not and hope that Papa does get some honest answers from his Dealer or PNA.

Papa, I still think that you will get your car, however I do understand your frustration with this situation.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Be patient, mine took 10 months to build!!! All paint to sample cars go through the "punishment bay". It happens.
Paint to sample
PASM
PCCB
LSD
SC+
Auto dim
Coloured Crests
Sports seats
TV
PA
CC
Tint