Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, great site! I have been reading for a few weeks now, very informative group.
I am between ordering a 2011 cayman as allocation comes up getting necessary options I am interested in (blk/blk,bose,heated seats,back wiper,heated steering wheel,multi func steering wheel,). I have been looking for a low milage cayman or cs for a while now. I have found a 2010 cs with nice options( Arctic silver, pdk,xenon,bose,heated seat & wheel,sport chrono,bluetooth,UAI) for the same money as a new order. I keep my cars
10 years or more and walk to work, this will purely for fun. Do I get all the bells or get a special order as I see the car. thanks.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
Hello all, great site! I have been reading for a few weeks now, very informative group.
I am between ordering a 2011 cayman as allocation comes up getting necessary options I am interested in (blk/blk,bose,heated seats,back wiper,heated steering wheel,multi func steering wheel,). I have been looking for a low milage cayman or cs for a while now. I have found a 2010 cs with nice options( Arctic silver, pdk,xenon,bose,heated seat & wheel,sport chrono,bluetooth,UAI) for the same money as a new order. I keep my cars
10 years or more and walk to work, this will purely for fun. Do I get all the bells or get a special order as I see the car. thanks.
If you like the color and the options - get it! Otherwise, if you order, it could be a few month wait - but you can get exactly what you want. Me, I feel that extra bit of pride ordering the car with exactly the color and options (or lack thereof) that I want. I managed to get a 5% break off the cost, not great but typical at the time I ordered my car (2008, before the stock crash). I ended up with a car with a relatively unique color, some cool options, and nothing I didn't need.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think I will do the same, waited this long so I will get what I want & don't need,see if I can work on the 5-8 % re-deduction. Got 3 % so far.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Thanks, I think I will do the same, waited this long so I will get what I want & don't need,see if I can work on the 5-8 % re-deduction. Got 3 % so far.
Agree, that if you keep the for 10 yrs. you should get exactly what you want. Special ordered mine and got 6% off. Good luck.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree also. I keep my cars and chose exactly what I wanted. That way you'll always have that special feeling that the car was MADE just for you. Buying a PORSCHE is such an emotional purchase that things like that make all the difference but makes no sense logically.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Falcon7 & jman, very thought out decision, any options that are worth or not that experince could share.

·
Registered
625 Posts
short shifter is a must. I didn't order it with the car but added it on after. Well worth the money IMO and many others. I also thought the colored seatbelts added a custom touch, which I notice each time I buckle up. If you look at interior pictures of the boxter spyders the seatbelts are the first thing you notice.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, have added short shifter, as for sound have bose optioned, is this good value.
My wife has it on her cayenne and it sounds great, any other must have's? best, S

·
Registered
607 Posts
The bose system on the CS is garbage.... go aftermarket if you can. For some reason, the bose system on the 997.2 is a little bit better, given the two subs instead of one.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
FWIW I have the Bose in my 2010 Cayman S and find it very acceptable. I didn't buy the car to listen to music but when I do the sound is just fine. I believe the Bose system has taken a heavy and somewhat unfair beating on this forum. Just stuff the sub like the articles suggest and you will be happy. If you want to listen to music buy a Panamera. The SSK is nice but definitely notchy feeling. I happen to like it a lot but my car had it at delivery so I've never driven the regular stock unit.I also have PSE which sounds much better than stock. i chose this for a hassle free warranty and have no regrets. For my exclusive street use of my S I don't care about extra power the aftermarket provides, but did follow a friend home driving 2005 3.2 Boxster with Borla and absolutely loved the sound. You have to be prepared for loud all the time and some drone he says , but I agree with him that sound is amazing. I have 19" wheels,SC+,LSD and PASM and love all these features. I've had car now for almost 4 months and I'm still enjoying big time. I vote for getting all the features you want as i don't believe you will regret if you can afford. All of the above represents my totally biased opinion:):):)

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Didn't have it on my CS but do have it on my 997 and have to say that PASM is a must for me and would highly recommend it !! Also agree that the oem SSK is great. I've heard the sport exhaust and love it , but feel the price is high for sound only.

Are you dealing with Porsche of Halifax ?...if so, would be surprised if you can get more than 3-4% discount on an ordered car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I stuffed my Bose sub and I am happier, but definitely not happy with the sound. I'd order with no ICE at all, if it was possible, and add something nice. I certainly wouldn't pay any EXTRA for that pile of Bose.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Borla sounds great! read lots on bose, agree that it has got some bad press, stuffing sounds like a good remedy, after order runs about 2k. Will into other options, thx, S

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes in HFX, so far will keep trying for better %, did you go thru them? Bought my last in SC trying to keep $ in Canada. best, S.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Got my car in Victoria,BC. Didn't get much of a deal,but didn't much care. I have everything I want and remain very happy with the car. I've wasted lots of cash on car audio in the past and it's just not my thing anymore, hence I just went with the Bose. If I get itch for exhaust later won't hesitate to pull the PSE. I understand FVD may be coming with unit similar to PSE but with more power. Good luck with your purchase on the beautiful east coast of Canada and Happy Canada Day!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Yes in HFX, so far will keep trying for better %, did you go thru them? Bought my last in SC trying to keep $ in Canada. best, S.
No, didn't buy from them but do all my service there. Thinking about ordering a new C2S from them if they show a little more price flexibility.....we'll see. My last two Pcars were from the US.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's a Porsche, the radio work? I just bought my third Porsche with a Bose, the symphony has never sounded better!

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
The bose system on the CS is garbage.... go aftermarket if you can. For some reason, the bose system on the 997.2 is a little bit better, given the two subs instead of one.
The Gen 1 Bose system is not garbage. The sub enclosure in the passenger's floor is garbage and ruins the whole system. Stuff this enclosure with poly pillow batting and Bose stereo ROCKS. Check out the Articles section. Search "Bose" and you'll find the instructions. $10 and 20 minutes. Read the comments after the article for additional useful information.

If it were me ordering a new Cayman. I'd get the standard suspension with 18" wheels, not 19". I'd get Bose because I don't like stereo shops hacking up my car. I'd get the iPod and Bluetooth. I'd get Navigation because sticking a Garmin on the window of this little car just doesn't work for me. I tried it. I'd rather use my old Gen 1 nav than haul out the Garmin.

I'd not get the rear wiper. It's really not an issue and it's sort of in the way. I drove my car all last winter and never had a problem. You don't need it in the rain either. The rear window doesn't get wet and dirty like on a minivan. The very back of the car gets dirty easily but not the rear window.

I'd get auto climate control. It works great. I'd not get self dimming mirrors or automatic wipers. Neither of these works the way I want them to work. I'd get Xenon headlights.

I'd get standard, non-power seats or non-power sport seats. I would not get the power seats because they don't offer as much travel fore-aft or up and down as manual seats and they are heavy. Non-power have power recline so you can fine-tune the backrest angle. The manual sliders work great and you can quickly and easily slide the seat back to get in and out of the car.

I like white or silver or stone grey exterior because these colors don't show scratches or dirt. If this is a weekend car and you don't mind spending your weekends waxing it and washing it, get black. I want to drive my car, so I have silver. I can go through a rain storm and when the car dries, it looks clean. Amazing.

For a weekend non-commuter car, I'd get the 6-speed. A short shifter might be good. Not critical to me. I like Sport Chrono because it changes the way PSM works on the car.

If there were an option to delete all stability items except plain old high-threshold ABS, some bigger brakes and a plain old limited slip, I'd get that, but there isn't. It's supposed to be a sports car, dammit!

My dream Porsche has the custom eggshell paint with Carrera red interior and eggshell painted bits in the interior, but that costs an extra $20,000 or so. Short of that, I'm going to be practical.

For me, the right interior is not special leather. Although natural leather and cocoa intrigue me, the fancy soft leather is too hard to keep nice and doesn't wear as well as the standard interior. Both are very high quality but the standard one wears very well too. I live in the north and have black. I'm very happy with it. The only thing that shows dirt is the floor carpets, which show every seed or pebble you pick up with your shoes, so I got rubber Porsche winter mats and leave them in all year.

My Arctic Silver CS looks fabulous without a dark exterior color and I can run it through the good car wash when I want. I drive it two miles home, I get the rags out and dry the door wells and the door and the trunk and hatch and use a little Meguire's Detailer to fix any missed areas. That's not to say I won't give it a good waxing a couple times per year or ever hand wash it, but I don't have to avoid a good soft touch commercial car wash like I would with black or midnight blue.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sixisenuff's advice strikes me as generally spot on so read his comments carefully. The 6MT is very nice-car really heal-toes exceptionally well. I think it enhances the cars sporty feel but will not outperform PDK if that's your thing.No matter what you choose it will be nice....very nice indeed. Stuffed Bose is more than just OK IMHO.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Sixisenuff & Crocter, great advice, thought I needed the wiper being in the great white north however will not. Like black color, all current vechiles are now they are alot of maintenance, silver is v nice & under the radar, meteor grey might be a nice option. Thinking of adding a Borla exhaust for sound or should I run stock for awhile?
It is great to get these tips before ordering, I know I will enjoy the car regardless. Be well, p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts