Registered
734 Posts
Nice video. What did I learn?

CR: designed by men in white lab coats
911: designed by an artist

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Who paid for this production and what was the point? Some automotive Luddites who have gone long on 964 futures? Nice gloves.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Pretty much newer cars are all like that ... more clinical. Older cars have a bit of flaws, feel more raw, got a bit more character, and has a more unique taste to things.

964 are great cars, but I'm not sure if I would want to give up my slower, boring and clinical 987 for a 964 haha

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Always loved that color on the Cayman R! Good production on the video, I wish there were more of these.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Now we have those that are saying that the 981 is more clinical and less sporty then the 987 and so it goes. I would liked to have seen a video shot of his feet heel and toeing with those cowboy boots. A mans man...with really nice gloves.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Here is what learned:

Because of people like that guy in the video is why is Porsche owners get so much flack for loving their cars. LOL

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could one not make the argument that the 964 is too clinical as compared to the original 911 or say the 356? Isn't the original 911 or 356 too clinical vs. say a '37 Ford? :) Having driven a 1956 Jaguar XK140 and 2006 Cayman S back to back at the recent Lake Garnet Grand Prix event I would not say that one driving experience was "better" than the other, they were simply very different. Both fun in their own way and I wouldn't use words like clinical to describe either. So while the video had nice production values and effects, I'm just not sure what the point was, or as beaverlake above said, maybe someone is betting on 964 futures or wants the 964 to be valued as highly as the 993 that came after it... :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd reject newer cars are less involving argument. If you setup new car similar to older cars much of Porsche charater shines through. When I built my 1975 lb Porsche Boxster race car it had just as much character as my old 914-6 race car it just didnt break as much! Take a Cayman shove a GT3 motor in it put real suspension under it and then come back and talk to me about involvment. LOL! Its all in how you set a car up. Plenty of poor handling uninvolving 964's out there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
mmm .. in my opinion the 987C's posses much 'DNA' from the 550 and 904 coupes and this embryo needs to rethink his conclusions in light of the 981's. He is trying so hard .. with his neckerchief bandana, topaz skull rings on every finger and three foot wallet chain, that no Porsche owner would actually let him near their car with, and you know that he had to take those eight rings off just to get into those tiny gloves. err .. ok then, all this dude cares about, is that he thinks he looks ever so slightly cooler, in a heavily modified 964.
Well, that happened.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
... I'm just not sure what the point was ...
Aww, you saw the point. It was all about the tweed jacket and handkerchief. That was the point.

That was the Exact stereotype of a 1960s Porsche owner, complete with accent.

It wasn't about the cars (although he had a point about roll down the window, forget about the stereo, and listen to the music).

How can anyone knock a guy who has the guts to wear a handkerchief? The only thing missing was the pipe.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Is that Russell Brand?

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Hey if I lost 50 lbs and had more hair.....an ascot is cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I wouldn't use words like clinical to describe either. So while the video had nice production values and effects, I'm just not sure what the point was

As a former long term owner of a 964, the perspective presented in the video resonated with me. I believe if you substitute the word "detached" for "clinical" it may help you understand the presenter's point of view. Here's a list of options on a 981 which weren't available on a 964: Porsche Traction Management, Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV),Porsche Stability Management, Porsche Active Suspension Management, automatic rev matching, parking aids, and of course the oft debated PDK. No question that these aids will certainly make a car safer to drive and make a mediocre driver, a good one, but they certainly make the car more clinical or if you prefer, detached.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Cool video but they are different cars and so goes one man's opinion. My CSBE is as raw or refined as I drive it, but the final result is the smile on my face and the blessing to drive one of the most awesome cars made by Porsche.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts