Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Presently I'm driving a 2009 Boxster with Spyder suspension, thoroughly enjoying it!

Was speaking with the salesman about future cars, perhaps a 911 but I'm hard pressed to see how they are any better than my Boxster from what I've seen of them on the track, compared to my little car at least. Every instructor that has driven mine will comment how nice it is and how they prefer it over the 911.

Anyway, the salesman had suggested the Cayman R. Right now there is a Peridot Green one for sale and I do have to admit I love the colour.

So the question is; with there being only around 61 of them in Canada would the R be considered desirable? They are holding their values very well, this one being $65K CAD and new it was $86K CAD.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Any low volume car will be more collectable than a standard "run-of-the-mill" car. So Spyders and Rs should be more collectable than a base or "S" Cayman/Boxster. Just how collectable is the question. I would love to have a Spyder or an R but they aren't cars that I would base my retirement on. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
R's & Spyders are desirable now because of their performance improvements vs an S. However, those improvements also make these models a bit more difficult to live with on the street, which puts them into a niche category within a niche category. And time marches on. Porsche already has 2 new 981 models that have higher performance figures than an R. Who knows how many more higher performance Caymans there will be in the next 5-10 yrs?

And your thread title says Collectible. That will take 20-30 yrs to determine. You could probably do better in the stock mkt, unless you hit that one car that gets hot in the collector mkt like an 80's 911 SC.

I currently own two 'rare' cars but I haven't quit my day job.

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps "collectible" is the wrong choice of words. Not looking for an investment more of a unique vehicle.

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I've owned mine exactly a year this month. It appears I could sell it for what I paid, perhaps a bit more at this point. I see on average less of them for sale lately as well. My theory is the GT4, between it's cost and unavailability, has generated more interest in Caymans overall and specifically the R.

·
Incurable Gearhead
964 Posts
My buddy didn't buy his '89 Speedster many years ago expecting it to go up in value, and now look. As a special version of an already rare car (987.2 production numbers are crazy thin), IMHO, Rs are already worth hanging onto.

Reactions: PCARGUY

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Perhaps "collectible" is the wrong choice of words. Not looking for an investment more of a unique vehicle.

Thanks everyone.
It is definitely a unique vehicle. I would love to have one. Same goes for the Spyder. They both might be a little harder to live with on the street but I wouldn't let that bother me a bit.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The fact that you can sell it now for what it cost new is a great indicator. Collectible may be a strong word (an investment for appreciation's sake), but certainly very desirable to the point it is already holding the initial value. That's a big statement in the car world.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So the question is; with there being only around 61 of them in Canada would the R be considered desirable? They are holding their values very well, this one being $65K CAD and new it was $86K CAD.
I think from a collectable standpoint it's virtually impossible to know what will be desirable in 30 years. With that said, GT or R based products tend to hold their value in the short term because people who want to go to the track know that they are starting with a head start if they buy one of the limited GT or R cars. As soon as a faster one comes out, I think it tends to push the value down. So with that logic, I'd expect the Cayman R to lose value now that the GT4 is the 'Big Dog' for track usage.

I think you should get the R if you love how its optioned. You should consider it lucky if the car you buy holds its value during your time owning it (IMHO).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the R and the GT4 would be good candidates to be collectibles, considering the limited production and the cool features, specially with this green color which is a rare color across all Porsche's lineup.
I've tried to find a reasonably priced R in my region and I couldn't, although Cayman's aren't that known here but the R's are holding their prices high still.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I believe the desirability of the R might be affected by the ultimate production figures of the GT4. I've read rumors that Porsche may build more than they originally intended, or maybe more likely they will build something else just as appealing. If that happens, the R remains more desirable I think because of the lower production #s.
But the R will always be a lesser performer because that's how Porsche works; their new models up the ante.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The Cayman R will always be highly coveted. Sure the GT4 is here, but the Cayman R was the fastest and greatest of Caymans equipped with hydraulic power steering and a traditional LSD. It's a more pure and engaging driving experience than you'll find in any 981. That plus extremely low production numbers will keep this car's resale high indefinitely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
There are a good number of R's that have been converted into track cars. So the number of street cars is already less than the total production number was to start with.

Cman21

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Cayman R will always be highly coveted. Sure the GT4 is here, but the Cayman R was the fastest and greatest of Caymans equipped with hydraulic power steering and a traditional LSD. It's a more pure and engaging driving experience than you'll find in any 981.
Agree, CARS publication out of England says the GT4 steerig is great but they are not sure it produces the tingly feedback as the Cayman R with its hydraulic system.

I drive my R for 1200 to 1800 miles each time I take it out since I have to drive so far to get to interesting roads. I am comfortable with up to 12 hours in the sport bucket seats per day. The car does not beat me up but handles so well. If you read Persy's Diary of a GT4 on Cayman Registry you will learn how tolerant he is of driving sporty type Porsches but he says he is tired after only 3 hours of driving the GT4 because the sensations are so strong they wear you out, even though they are wonderful for a shorter drive. And this is driving very smooth roads in Switzerland.

I'm glad Persy let us all know therefore I no longer lust after a GT4. I just appreciate my 987.2 R even more because of the long drives I do.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Personal opinion:

Cayman is a highly desirable car, and it probably marks the last of its kind with hydraulic steering. There will definitely be a crowd who will always want to pick one of these things up especially in manual transmission.

However, don't expect it to be crazy in pricing down the road. The differences between an R and a regular S are too little to demand a high price down the road. Perhaps 20% premium over an S would be at the absolute max (assuming the car is in MT + has bucket seats). People would just pick up a regular Cayman S and call it the day for any higher premium. I know the doors, the aero and all that are different. But sometimes in life we just have to be realistic. The Cayman R has the regular S models to dilute the interest.

The Cayman R would never be like how M3 CSL is worth over a regular M3. It wouldn't even be as big of a diff as 993 C2 vs C2S -- and that difference was much bigger and harder to replicate to begin with. Think of the existing 987 Cayman cars as possible 993 at the best case scenario at a lower price tag, due to the less-scare factor. The 993 was a much more substantial car at its days compared to 987 Caymans at its days -- way more, and not even comparable i think.

As for Cayman R vs GT4. That's another can of worms to discuss about. As Cayman Rs are regarded as more road friendly than a GT4, that makes the Cayman R even less valuable from a collectible point of view. Look at the 993 turbo and RS price difference versus regular models. One could more or less extrapolate how used markets behaved down the road. The Cayman R would always be viewed as a great car, but would be hard to see people being crazy about it. Unfortunately, the Cayman R has the regular Cayman S cars to drag it down in value. And the reality is, the Cayman R parts aren't substantial enough to differ from an S. Yes I have driven a Cayman R before over my old and crummy Cayman S Sport (which is basically a 987.1 GTS) with some mods as well as regular 987.2 cars. The diff is there, but I would be very surprised if anyone would pay more than 20% on a Cayman R over a regular 987.2 CS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts