Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching but couldn't find any conclusive info on this.

Came across someone selling exhaust (catback) from a Cayman R, am trying to determine if it would fit on a base 987.2/2009 Cayman.

From what I found it seems it may only fit on the S.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
I'm 100% certain that R/S exhausts are interchangeable. I'm reasonably certain that base/S exhausts are interchangeable. If that's the case, then you shouldn't have an issue.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, reason I was asking is because I wanted to ship the R exhaust straight to Cantrell for the Carnewal mod and then have them send it back to me. More preferable to me than having my exhaust removed and shipped to them or shipping my stock exhaust back afterwards for a core refund.

However they came back telling me that the R won't fit on my 2009 base, asked them for clarification and whether it was because of larger headers on the 3.4s or something else, will see what they say.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Rehashing this.

@fais did you finally change to the R exhaust?

I read on rennlist that its possible. The same poster also dynoed post R exhaust and found no increase in power despite the increase in diameter to 55mm. Only sound. I think the R cats were still 400 cel? Also, his is the 987.2S so you may have had a different outcome.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The R exhaust catback and headers will fit Cayman Base. The reason Carnewal mod has very little impact on 987.2 cars is because of where the cats are located. Both are in the headers. In 987.1 one was in the muffler so removing it (as part of Carnewal mod) yielded power increase.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The R exhaust catback and headers will fit Cayman Base. The reason Carnewal mod has very little impact on 987.2 cars is because of where the cats are located. Both are in the headers. In 987.1 one was in the muffler so removing it (as part of Carnewal mod) yielded power increase.
Hey Olegd, I'm reading the stock headers have 4 cats. 2 in each header.. is this right? In 987.1 and 987.2 or? If this is the case, I can see why the aftermarket 200 cell headers can add going to just 1 200 cell in each header.

·
Incurable Gearhead
953 Posts
987.2 has only two cats.

·
Registered
323 Posts
In 987.1 and 987.2 there are 4 cats in total, 2 in each branch of the exhaust. The placement of the cats is different between .1 and .2. In 987.1 they put one cat in the header and one in the muffler. In 987.2 both cats are in the header.

·
Registered
608 Posts
In 987.1 and 987.2 there are 4 cats in total, 2 in each branch of the exhaust. The placement of the cats is different between .1 and .2. In 987.1 they put one cat in the header and one in the muffler. In 987.2 both cats are in the header.
OK. so my initial conclusion was not wrong, for the 987.2 that is :). Thanks for the clarification.

I need to ask Gert, for his 200 cell cats for the 987.2, does he then put 4 200 cell cats into both headers or just one each.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can tell you for sure that Gert removes the two Porsche cats and installs a single 200-cell unit in each stock header.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I can tell you for sure that Gert removes the two Porsche cats and installs a single 200-cell unit in each stock header.
That should really free up air flow compared to stock then.

Let me guess, you're on the carnewal 200 cell cats.. and maybe the gt exhaust as well if the combined is not too loud for track.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have Soul sport headers. FYI, Soul uses the same HJS cats as Carnewal, Fabspeed and other reputable manufacturers. I have the Carnewal catback.

·
Incurable Gearhead
953 Posts
The picture in that classified ad is correct. I’ll steal and post it here...

The two cats you see in the header are all that came on 987.2.

I came across a Carnewal modded Cayman R exhaust many years ago for sale on this forum (hi fais!). At the time I was shopping an aftermarket system anyway, so decided to give it a go as everyone had been saying that they sound great, and that's really all that I wanted given the minimal gains to be had with swapping out the back half of the 987.2’s exhaust. Anyway, my headers remain stock and the car does indeed sound terrific. One of these days I'd love to slip a set of headers ahead of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts