Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
HOT LAP
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several discussions with my wife, she has decided she wants a track car "for girls" and has narrowed it down to the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder. What would you pick? Don't get offended, she is not a regular girl driver, but could probably drive better than most of us on track with practice.

She's not into mods and wants PDK. She's also uncomfortable driving my GT3. Suggestions?

·
Registered
841 Posts
I would say Spyder all the way as it is a blast to drive top down. However, you need to be aware that the top is really manual, and it is noisy, really noisy, I mean REALLY noisy with the top up ( wind noise, not engine noise ). If she is the type that does not mind that, or maybe even enjoys that, then the Spyder is the car for her, otherwise R it is.
Oh yeah, one other thing to keep in mind, check with your track and your HPDE schools if top down driving is permitted, and what the constraints around that are if any. Over here in DFW PCA has specific rules around arm restraints, while all the other schools allow you top down unrestricted.
You can't go wrong with either car.

·
HOT LAP
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's funny, we live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area now! I drove the spyder at Road America last fall and loved it, but did tell her about the wind noise with the top on. I didn't mind it, she's undecided. BTW, PP has a white Cayman R she likes, but it is too expensive with all those options... We'll see, we may wait a few months to look for good used ones that come up. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Either one would be great. I would highly suggest the sport bucket seats in either case. With the Spyder adding harnesses is simple.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
As a track car, no doubt the R would be my choice by a wide margin. As a DD and occasional track car, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I faced the same decision although the car was for me: R or a Spyder. Spyder is a stunning car; best looking Porsche at the moment. If I was looking for only a fun weekend car, occasional like DE, then the Spyder for sure. However, I plan quite some track time and, IMO, that makes the closed top R the obvious choice. Truth is, both cars are no loose options...

DJM

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Both cars are magnificent, but for the track I'd take the R every time.

If I lived in a sunnier clime I'd take the Spyder.

Anyway with those two as options, you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
As others have said, you can't go wrong either way. So why not let your better half decide? Afterall, taking our advice could be an expensive mistake.

·
HOT LAP
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I will let her decide (right now the Cayman R is in the lead). As "s knot" said above, it is hard to find one that is not loaded. BTW, she said it has to be white so that narrows it down even more.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I suggest she drives both before deciding.

If the car is strictly for the track and she's the 9/10ths type then the safety of the Hard Top certainly is an advantage for the R. If she driving on the street and 8/10 ths on the track I would pick the Spyder.

Keep in mind that everyone responding is biased.:)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Looking at your signature (stable of cars):

2011 GT3 (guards red/black)
2009 C4S Cab (basalt black/carrera red and black)

Since you already have the GT3 for your track use.

And a C4S Cabriolet as your rag top cruiser, I'd say go for the Cayman R

as a better track car.
1. Stiffer / more rigid frame
2. slightly more HP / faster
3. Less wind noise
4. Safer - (just in case, she drives anything like my wife)

Now if you ONLY had the GT3, I'd say go for the Spyder so you'd have your track car, and a convertible that could double as a track car.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
As others have noted they are both excellent cars, but of different vocations.

While my heart was set on a Cayman from the onset, we briefly looked at the Spyder when it was released. The road noise with the top on is what killed it for me. This review in particular was telling - I have tremendous respect for Vicky Butler-Henderson - and she loves the Spyder but slammed it for the amount of wind noise as speeds above 60 mph.

Here's Vicky's review BTW: OPC Classics likes Fifth Gear Web TV - Porsche Boxster Spyder - YouTube

In the end, it will boil down to the use you (or your wife) expect to make of the car. There is no denying...it is a beautiful car. When I can afford another Porsche in the garage, I'm going to go hunting for a Spyder...;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
For what its worth, Convertibles, both soft and hard top, are not permitted at a lot of track events. For example the BMW Club does not permit Convertibles at their high performance schools.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cayman R. Bring it to some autocross or DE events in the DFW area. My wife needs someone to race against in her Cayman S. She was faster than about half the guys last year in her Mini Cooper S.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

·
HOT LAP
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What % off MSRP can someone get a Cayman R nowadays? Can you still order one (stripped of course)?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts