Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a GT4 and will be keeping my R. Was wondering how may are moving to the GT4 and plan on keeping your R/S or trading/selling. If you are keeping it will you continue to tack it? use as a DD or part time weekend car? In my negotiations with management (the wife) I am going to use my R as my spring, summer and fall DD and the truck for winter DD.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No PDK = no GT4

Would sell my CR in case Porsche releases a GT4 with PDK. Would rather buy a cheap Boxster or Fiat 500 for DD duty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have driven PDK and love it, but still also love the stick! If the GT4 was going to be made this year with PDK i would opt for PDK for the change, but the transmission is not that critical to me. I have gotten to the point that I do not like to modify cars anymore, so I am more into the track focused GT upgrades. I do like the idea of a Boxster for DD. Management does not want to see the 944 Cab.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Management / SWMBO loved the CR and the statement on the GT4 is not quotable but definitely positive. We were both hardcore M/T fans, but the PDK changed that completely.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
The GT4 is the only 981-based Cayman I would consider replacing my 987.2. I think it will be too expensive (for me) to motivate it though. And the fact that I honestly like the 987.2 styling better. I would probably more likely move on to a 911, or Panamera if I need more room. Or just skip Porsche altogether as I am not a fan of their latest generations or company/marketing strategies at all.

If I had a CR (PDK or MT) I would hold on to it for dear life; I firmly believe that this will be the one that collectors would want. It was the raciest version of the 987.2, it has the "good old" steering feel. It is fully tuneable/moddable; 380bhp with some basic bolt ons and a custom tune is fairly realistic. That's almost GT4 territory right there.... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I plan to buy a GT4 and keep the R for awhile. Probably use the R for track primarily and transition to the GT4 over time. I'm fortunate to have enough garage space. If anything has to go it may be the 986, but would be a shame as it's a fun car and so different to the others. With the top down it feels fast at any speed. Can't help with management though. My management thinks I'm nuts.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I'm keeping my R. It's a dedicated track car now, stripped and with full cage etc. Not sure how I'll use the GT4. Definitely won't track it often. How long I keep it will be determined by the ride quality and ground clearance and how well it performs as a street car. I will never use it as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
No PDK = no GT4

Would sell my CR in case Porsche releases a GT4 with PDK. Would rather buy a cheap Boxster or Fiat 500 for DD duty.
It's no fun driving a nice car in the NorCal bay area anymore, waiting for some idiot to run into the back of you while texting. I'll stick with my Honda CRV as DD.
I'm with Sven76: No PDK no GT4.

Besides at some point these cars are just too valuable to drive a lot of track days with. Look at all the guys on the GT3 / GT3 RS forums saying they won't get near a track!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Gt4 will be at least 200K USD with the right options for me (they start at about 180k usd in where I live, and options are taxed at 100 percent). I would be lucky to get even 75K out of my car. So I will hold off for now.

i think the GT4 is the only 981 car I would wanna trade my car in for. This car offers enough changes, and clearly brings Cayman to a whole differet level. Wish I have another 130K USD lying around for the upgrade

i wish Porsche would keep the GT4 strictly manual. This is probably one of the last, if not the last, top variant of a given model of sports car that only offers manual as available transmission

·
Registered
444 Posts
GT4 certainly strikes a chord with me. But it really comes down to dollars and sense. My 06 CS might be worth $35K. Is the GT4 $50-60K better? Thats a hard sell. Its still 80% the same DNA. Plus, the depreciation on my current car is going to be anemically slow compared to buying something new.

Would I have $50,000 more fun in a GT4 as opposed to my current car? Just not seeing it.

If I was looking to get in the game for the first time, that would change the equation.

·
Registered
140 Posts
GT4 certainly strikes a chord with me. But it really comes down to dollars and sense. My 06 CS might be worth $35K. Is the GT4 $50-60K better? Thats a hard sell. Its still 80% the same DNA. Plus, the depreciation on my current car is going to be anemically slow compared to buying something new.

Would I have $50,000 more fun in a GT4 as opposed to my current car? Just not seeing it.
I look at it slightly differently. Lets say you pay around $3000/year in property tax, depreciation, and insurance on your current car. I suspect the GT4 will have very low depreciation based off historical Gt3 resale and production numbers. An educated guess is that Porsche moving to mostly turbo engines will also buoy resale. My estimate is that it might only cost you $4500-6000/year depending on how long you own it, never crashed, not daily driver, etc. You'll probably have more depreciation on a new, well optioned, daily driven 981 S.

So the question is - would you pay another $1500-$3000/year for the GT4?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not sure how you are arriving at the $1500-3000/yr. I may be missing something.

My existing Cayman S valued at $35,000 is paid for. In order to get a GT4 at about $90,000, I would have to sell the current car and buy the GT4 for a $55,000 difference. Im now $55,000 out of pocket.

To speculate on new cars being collectibles is a proposition I would not recommend. Cars are not investments -- at least 98% arent. That $90,000 GT4 will be worth $75,000 after year 1, $65-70K after year 2, and $55-65K after year three. Its gonna be much like a Boxster Spyder -- less in numbers but still pretty easy to get your hands on if you want one. We're not talking GT3RS 4.0 here.

So Im out $55,000 in the delta between what I had and what I just bought, and another $30,000 in depreciation if I choose to keep it for three years and enjoy it. Thats almost $90,000.

Or I can just drive what I have thats worth $35,000, not spend a dime more, and enjoy a depreciation curve thats reaching its leveling-off.

If I can make a modest 8-10% on that $90,000 over three years by just keeping that money working for me in my various funds, thats another $20-30K in revenue over that same time period.

Just not seeing how it makes any economic sense. Especially when the cars share (my own estimate) 80% of the DNA. You're spending a lot of money but not getting a lot of return for it. My current car doesnt cost me a thing to drive, other than ongoing maintenance and that leveling depreciation curve. Why would I want to walk away from that.

I realize some folks buy cars on emotion and not dollars and cents -- Im just not in the financial position to have that luxury. And even if I was, Im not sure Im wired to tolerate it. :)

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
^
I think you might be a little off on your depreciation numbers. The R and Spyder, 987, both bucked the trend of 20% lot drive off and additional 10+% every year thereafter. And if we're lucky the GT4 will at least be similar in that regard, and hopefully it will approach the GT car trend.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
One thing to remember is that a car is not an investment, maybe an emotional one but in the end you are gonna lose money. We all have different financial situations, but buying a new car just because its "the new thing" is kinda ludicrous IMO. :cheers:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Another argument for keeping the CR: I spend money like mad on trackdays and don't even think about it. 2x Bilster Berg (kind of small Nürburgring) an 1x Salzbughring already booked, al trackdays with full tuition, and most trackday operators have not even published their schedule for 2015. Will probably do 5-6 trackdays, which is 3x more what I've usually done in the past. With GT4 I would spend money more sensible, but the CR was so cheap to buy (already was 1st in line for a GT4 at my dealership, so that's the reference point) that modding and tracking it is still less money than buying a GT4.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
A lot of this will be moot, I think, because from what I've read only 4-600 GT4's will be sold in the US. I'm guessing it will take north of $100k to buy one, since every dealer will only get a couple they will definitely charge above sticker, and they will most likely be optioned to the hilt, so sticker will be $100 k to begin with. That being the case, these cars will hold their value very well, so if you're going to get one, you better already have your deposit down and expect to pay $110-120,000 for one, and it better stay below 20,000 miles for the next 2-3 years to preserve that higher value. JMO of course.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not sure how you are arriving at the $1500-3000/yr. I may be missing something.

My existing Cayman S valued at $35,000 is paid for. In order to get a GT4 at about $90,000, I would have to sell the current car and buy the GT4 for a $55,000 difference. Im now $55,000 out of pocket.
I'd definitely own a GT4 for at least 10 years. I'm guessing 987 Cayman depreciation will bottom out around $12-15,000 for average examples. These are not average cars and there's a minimum value well maintained cars will bottom out at. So I got those numbers assuming up to 10 years of ownership.

Who knows where the GT4 resale will be in 10 years but I'm sure it will be on a different curve than the base 981 or S. My best guess is 40-50% after 10 years assuming "average" mileage. Look at 996 GT3 prices. They were 100k new and according to your post, should have hit 50k after 3 years....most GT3 sell for more than that 10 years later. So that's why I said 4.5-6,000/year depreciation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts