Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[SUB]I am contemplating a used Cayman purchase and am really torn as to what I should buy. Ultimately I would love to have a 15' GTS but it does not fit in my budget. So I am left with choosing between lightly used Cayman R's or lightly used 14' Cayman S.

I am performance minded and that is what draws me to the Cayman R. I love the increased performance, lowered stance, and the lighter weight of the R. In my mind, getting a Cayman R would get me closer to the performance of a GTS without the larger expense and I could hold off on spending money on mods for some time and reduce what I might spend in the future.

On the other side I prefer the body style and interior design of the 981. I know that I would likely want/need to spend more money on mods if I got a 14' S to feed my performance bug. Has anyone else had this dilemma that could share their thoughts and experience with this?[/SUB]

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I would try to find a lightly used '14 with the X73 sport suspension. To me, that is the biggest asset that the Cayman R had going for it. The lighter weight obviously helps, but the suspension and the lowered stance provided more benefit. That way you get the 981 interior, a newer car that is under warranty, a little more HP, and a lot more cars to choose from.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Love my R and plan on keeping for the long run. I am also looking to add the GT4. I think the 981 GTS is a great car but neither the R nor the GTS take the performance to what I want in my next p-car. The GT3 is out of my Budget. You can not go wrong going either way

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
[SUB]I am contemplating a used Cayman purchase and am really torn as to what I should buy. Ultimately I would love to have a 15' GTS but it does not fit in my budget. So I am left with choosing between lightly used Cayman R's or lightly used 14' Cayman S.

I am performance minded and that is what draws me to the Cayman R. I love the increased performance, lowered stance, and the lighter weight of the R. In my mind, getting a Cayman R would get me closer to the performance of a GTS without the larger expense and I could hold off on spending money on mods for some time and reduce what I might spend in the future.

On the other side I prefer the body style and interior design of the 981. I know that I would likely want/need to spend more money on mods if I got a 14' S to feed my performance bug. Has anyone else had this dilemma that could share their thoughts and experience with this?[/SUB]
Have you driven them?

I own a 987.2 CS and even though I was interested with the "new" look of the 981 my mind has actually changed. The 987.2 looks better, feels better and is more "traditional porsche", IMO. I wouldn't mind owning a 981 as well, but would never give up my 987.2 for it.

Also keep in mind that the 981's do not respond as well to mods as the 987.2's do, there is still no good way to tune them. Basically the only thing you can do on the 981CS to get real world performance gains are headers, whereas on the 987.2 a plenum with larger TB will give you a real nice bump in torque and power (talking from experience). As will headers. As will a proper tune. So from a performance/modding standpoint a CR would be the better choice.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
The R for me is a great car ! I wouldn't trade mine for a 981. You should drive both and decide what is best for you.
Cman21

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have 26k mi and 50+ track days on my R and would not trade it. Drove a 981 Boxster S at PSDS and thought it was a great car, but not enough so to trade. A key draw of the R or Boxster Spyder is the sport bucket seats, if you can find one with them. Not sure what the current pricing premium is for an R over an S. Another thought would be get a 987.2 S and install the R suspension which you can buy from Suncoast. Or go with a set of coilovers. As noted above if you want to mod the car you can do intake, exhaust, etc. Can't go far wrong either way. Next step is test drive a few. Best of luck.

Reactions: RDCR

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I love my Cayman R and like others have said I would not trade mine in either. The car I would consider trading it in for would be a 2015 GT3. I am probably the only one who has no interest in the GT4 although I am sure it is going to be nice. Also I agree with what op is saying about more mods available for 987.2. You are going to find a lot but not all of the 987 guys like there cars and do not feel the need to upgrade to the 981. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently bought a 987.2 over a 981 as the 987.2 just felt better to drive more feed back just take them for a spin and see which one you like better as after the mods are in the feedback maybe more important for you.

I don't plan to track my car just DD it go on Euro trips etc and even then I went for the 987.2 as after 2012 IMO Porsche stopped being Porsche and became VW

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
The R is much more than the sum of its parts. The 981 feels too civilized for me and the interior has just too much of a GT look to it. I too will keep my R.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I would drive both to see how they feel, I would assume you will like the 981 better, most people do except for 987 owners. To me, it's not even close, the 987 interior and exterior looks outdated. Those who say it looks too GT and too luxurious, well, the 996/986/993/964 say the same about the 987/997. I have a 997, very similar interior to the 987, the quality and feel doesn't compare. IMO. The 981 exterior looks is subjective but I would bet the majority of the population will agree, that the 981 looks better. I was never interested in a Boxster/Cayman until the 981 came around. I think the 981 Cayman looks better than a 991. When I start my research and read every article their is regarding the 981, there isn't many articles arguing that the 987 is better except keep what you have if you don't have the money to upgrade. My advice to people is get the newest one you can afford and this is no exception.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have an R that I track several times a year. A friend of mine just bought a GTS. The GTS is really nice, no doubt. But the interior of the 981's with the new center console and silver trim vents everywhere is a turn off for me. Seems to luxury for my taste and idea of a sports car. Ill stick with my rather spartan CR, which is just a dream to drive and to push hard.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I drove the R and own a Spyder. Saying that I would get the 981. Reading what you said it would seem that you're not looking to spend a lot on aftermarket anyway and want the most value for your initial buck. That would be the 981. If you are going to drive the car frequently...981. If you're married and she rides along, 981. I drove a new GTS this week, our cars have come along way in displacing the 911 as the best Porsche made.

There a lot of used great 981's out there, have at one and best of luck.

Reactions: Ynot

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think the 981 is beautiful. I have the sport bucket seats and sport exhaust in my R. I would need both of those options before the conversation started. I don't think you can get the sport buckets so it is a no for me.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I have 26k mi and 50+ track days on my R and would not trade it. Drove a 981 Boxster S at PSDS and thought it was a great car, but not enough so to trade. A key draw of the R or Boxster Spyder is the sport bucket seats, if you can find one with them. Not sure what the current pricing premium is for an R over an S. Another thought would be get a 987.2 S and install the R suspension which you can buy from Suncoast. Or go with a set of coilovers. As noted above if you want to mod the car you can do intake, exhaust, etc. Can't go far wrong either way. Next step is test drive a few. Best of luck.
+1 to this. If you want to run stock seats/belt on the track this is as good as it get's IMHO. Plus I don't think you'll find better overall suspension for a street/track combo. I like the looks of the 981 a little better overall but the R screams "take me to the track".

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an R and love it. I do 10 - 12 track days a year and my wife uses it as DD on nice days.

I drove a '14 BS and was very impressed. However, for me I prefer a CR. I like the spartan interior, and prefer the style of the 987.2 over the 981.

A friend had an '11 CS with most of the typical street/track mods (suspension, etc.). Unfortunately it was totaled, and replaced with a CGTS. He loves the CGTS, and will track it after the break-in period is over.

It all comes down to what you prefer. Drive both and then buy what your budget allows.

Also, the R has more power than advertised. Most dyno around 345hp at the crankshaft. I found this after talking with a few shops that have converted R's to track cars. They baseline the engines prior to modding. Who knows, Porsche has probably understated the power in the GTS models as well.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I have had an 08CS, R, and now drive a 981 Cayman. They each had their strengths..........for me, I can honestly say that the 981 with its additional stiffness, interior layout and way it is optioned (PDK, 14 way seats with Premium) has made it my favorite for the way I use it as a DD. It is the most integrated feeling car when I drive. I have written this in other threads but of the three, the R was my least favorite...........go figure. It is no reflection on the R it is just how it fit me and my specification. I have no doubt that if I tracked the cars to any degree, the R would have been my car of choice.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
There seems to be a definite theme here. For those who view their car as a track weapon, the R is definitely preferred. For those who value a more modern interior, updated styling, and the ability to still use it on the track, the 981 is preferred. I would never want to take the R on a long weekend with my wife. I had a 987.1 S that I tracked (I know, it is not the R or the Spyder), and I definitely fall into the latter category. From all the preliminary indications (including friends who track their 981S's) this car will be much more capable on the track than my 987S. Both are great cars, it just depends on what your primary use will be.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts