Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all: I just received Cayman R-style decals for my Cayman S, and when I got them out of the packaging, I realized that the "mid gray" color that I ordered was a couple of shades darker than I was expecting. As I have the Boxster Spyder side intake grilles, which have a silver rim, and silver accents elsewhere on the car (wheels, "Cayman S" badge, FabSpeed decal, clear side markers, etc.), I wanted to get a Cayman R "Porsche" script side decal to match these accents. Basically, the look I was going for was like the Cayman R in the attached picture.

IMG_1947.JPG

When I saw the color options -- Light gray, mid gray, dark gray, and silver -- it looked to me that mid gray would be the closest match. Alas, as you can see from the pictures, the decal (which you can see the corner of with the backing peeled back) is several shades darker than the side grilles.

IMG_1944.JPG IMG_1945.JPG IMG_1943.JPG

So here's my question: do you think the decals in that shade of gray would look good on my car? Or would I be better off attempting to exchange them for light gray or silver decals? Moreover, which color would be the closest match?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Looks terrible man... ;) Just kidding, I love Cayman R side stripes in general. Cayman R's should have come with the spider side vents. Paint the mirrors too! Good job man

·
Registered
120 Posts
I like the stickers, but I am biased. I think a shade lighter would be a closer match to the intake grilles.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I think the same color as the vents and the wheels to tie everything in.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The stripes need to match the vents as closely as possible...personally, I think the darker stripes you have with darker vents would look great. Yes...it would mean repainting the vents, but less contrast between the vents/stripes and the rest of the body would give the car a subtler, more sophisticated look.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Poorsche, I am currently emailing back and forth with the seller to see if we can work something out, but I'll let you know if that falls through.

Is the best color to use definitely "Silver" and not "Light Gray"?

·
Registered
175 Posts
$40 is a great price. The OEM Cayman R stripes from Porsche are $950.00 and are only listed in black or silver!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just ordered them in matte silver. I'll let you guys know how they match the silver on the wheels and look against the rest of the of the car. I'm hoping I made the right decision as there is a gloss silver option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have ordered in the UK a set Silver and this is exactly like in your first example picture. So color wise, I think you made the right decision.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The stripes need to match the vents as closely as possible...personally, I think the darker stripes you have with darker vents would look great. Yes...it would mean repainting the vents, but less contrast between the vents/stripes and the rest of the body would give the car a subtler, more sophisticated look.
Totally agree. I got my CS with the R side decals in black on a white car. The vents are black as well. You need to get a good match in order to create a good synergy amongst all the parts. But to each their own as well. Janis Joplin's 356 had a acid inspired paint job and it is glorious. Ultimately, if you love it, then it is the right choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all: I just received Cayman R-style decals for my Cayman S, and when I got them out of the packaging, I realized that the "mid gray" color that I ordered was a couple of shades darker than I was expecting. As I have the Boxster Spyder side intake grilles, which have a silver rim, and silver accents elsewhere on the car (wheels, "Cayman S" badge, FabSpeed decal, clear side markers, etc.), I wanted to get a Cayman R "Porsche" script side decal to match these accents. Basically, the look I was going for was like the Cayman R in the attached picture.

View attachment 75402

When I saw the color options -- Light gray, mid gray, dark gray, and silver -- it looked to me that mid gray would be the closest match. Alas, as you can see from the pictures, the decal (which you can see the corner of with the backing peeled back) is several shades darker than the side grilles.

View attachment 75410 View attachment 75418 View attachment 75426

So here's my question: do you think the decals in that shade of gray would look good on my car? Or would I be better off attempting to exchange them for light gray or silver decals? Moreover, which color would be the closest match?

Thanks in advance!
love it. I have a Cayman S I would like to apply these decals to. Where did you get them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts