Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading conflicting info in various threads. Does the Cayman R suspension allow for more negative front camber than the base suspension? If yes, which component of the R set-up is configured differently? Or does the camber come from the slightly reduced ride height only?

Follow-up: How MUCH negative front camber can you get out of the R suspension? Most folks rave about the R on the track, so I'm assuming some of the inherent understeer from the base model is being dialed out somehow.

I'm trying to decide if a used R suspension will provide more happiness for me for occasional track days...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Correct. So I'm wondering if the increased camber in the R set-up is solely due to the slightly lowered ride height.
I had a 981 Cs with PASM now a 981 X73 the X73 gets about -.2-3 more neg . It's just the ride hight the X 73 is 1/2" lower. Every thing else is the same, struts control arms ect. Carl

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
That's my understanding. I had the front set at -1 stock and could have probably gotten to -1.2 or so if the top strut mounts were moved to the max inward slot position. I'm running RSS LCAs on my car now: -2.5 front and 2.2 rear. I was wearing the rear outsides heavily as well at -1.6.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Nothing is done in terms of adjust-ability, as in changed parts, so yes the minor change is due to lowered ride height.

·
Registered
864 Posts
You need adjustable lower control arms if you want to get the negative camber you need for track work. I run -3.0.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On my stock X73 CS, I have the front camber at -1.7 and the rear camber is at -2.2. My mechanic says that for MPSS tires that I am running it should be enough negative camber to maximize the traction of the tires.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Cayman R suspension is lower, and almost by default would give you slightly more negative camber. However, if you want any serious camber beyond -1.2-ish, then go for GT3 or RSS control arms. Personally I'm not a fan of camber plates.

Cayman R suspensions are great, but doesn't mean the are the holy grail of everything. It's a great balance for those who aren't looking to hardcore track their car for competition. Everything's dialed and setup with some reasonable amount of research and testing.

Buying off the shelf coilovers and then different bits and pieces here and there just means you are turning the suspension tuning into a multi-dimensional problem that most people would not be able to solve. You start to have to play with front vs rear camber difference, the existence (or lack of) LSD, different sway bar stiffness, deflectiong in toe links and all that. All that makes it nearly impossible for an average person without proper telemetry and extended period of access on the track to tune. So ya, that's why Cayman R suspension is great.

Once you get familiar with the car, then alignment + tire pressure could change the car's behavior as well. In short, you are dealing with a lot of variables. CR suspension just removes some of the key ones so you could focus on alignment and tires, which are typical things to look at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts