Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a new set of OEM Cayman R brake pads from Suncoast for the CR.

Ended up calling Suncoast because they did not have the brake section listed on the CR specific portion of their website.

The front brake pads on the CR are a different compound than the regular CS front pads, just like the Boxster Spyder uses different front pads from the regular Boxster S. The rears on the CR are the same as the ones on the CS.

On the CR the combination of OEM pads along with the GT3 front brake ducts seem to be sufficient for my driving/braking style when tracking with street tires :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
have you compared the CS and CR pads? what is your subjective opinion/observation? I might go that route as well (getting spyder pads) for my BS once the time comes.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you compared the CS and CR pads? what is your subjective opinion/observation? I might go that route as well (getting spyder pads) for my BS once the time comes.
At a track like Laguna Seca my 2008 Cayman S Sport with street tires + stock CS pads that was about 3080 lbs (GT2 bucket seats - without engine cover - without floor mats, without front tool tray) would start showing brake fade after 20 minutes of hard driving. The CR along with the GT3 front ducts in comparison showed almost no fade the couple of times that I have driven Laguna with my CR so far, some of that might be due to the weight reduction of the CR some of that might be related to the pads on the CR.

According to the folks in the parts department at Suncoast, the CR and the Spyder share the same front brake pads. The description of the Spyder pads on Suncoast website reads like the following:

www.suncoastparts.com said:
Spyder Sport Front Pad Set
Code: 99735193906

Factory Front Pad Set

Set of front pads which are used on the Boxster Spyder model. They come with a green and white indicator stripe, which indicates that they are a sport pad. This is a direct replacement for Spyder models, and could be considered an upgrade for standard Boxster & Boxster S models (2009+).
Spyder Sport Front Pad Set:porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

There is still plenty of pad material left on the original pads on the CR, just want to have a spare set when driving to track events.

I'll confirm the part number for the CR pads with my local dealer in the next couple of days. The online Porsche PET catalog is for 2010 so it does not show CR specific part numbers.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My pads are wearing a little thin, so I'm about to change them out. And was considering something other than stock.

My idea pad: less brake dust, not noisy, and "rotor friend". Since my car is 99% street use and low miles, track performance and longevity I guess isn't that important.

I have upgraded to GT3 brake ducts just to keep things cooler, figured cooler is always better.

Obviously these Cayman R pads are a different compound, that doesn't fade as much... ... but what other effects do they have?

ie: most pads have some trades offs:

better braking, but more squeal
longer lasting/less fade, but wear out the discs more
"rotor friendly" (softer pads), but wear out quicker

So any ideas for what combination performance, durability, etc. the Spyder / CR pads offer compared to the CS pads?

I also was considering an option like Cool Carbon (CC) pads, but don't see a lot of information on them with Caymans.
What I have read about them is.... Pagid's are better, and the CC's get hot & don't work that great if you're REALLY hard on them. IE: they're more like a street / mild track use pad, than a true track pad, which is probably fine for me and they don't throw off a lot of dust.
Maybe, I'll get them just for the less dust aspect, as long as they're not noisy!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
At a track like Laguna Seca my 2008 Cayman S Sport with street tires + stock CS pads that was about 3080 lbs (GT2 bucket seats - without engine cover - without floor mats, without front tool tray) would start showing brake fade after 20 minutes of hard driving. The CR along with the GT3 front ducts in comparison showed almost no fade the couple of times that I have driven Laguna with my CR so far, some of that might be due to the weight reduction of the CR some of that might be related to the pads on the CR.

According to the folks in the parts department at Suncoast, the CR and the Spyder share the same front brake pads. The description of the Spyder pads on Suncoast website reads like the following:

Spyder Sport Front Pad Set:porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

There is still plenty of pad material left on the original pads on the CR, just want to have a spare set when driving to track events.

I'll confirm the part number for the CR pads with my local dealer in the next couple of days. The online Porsche PET catalog is for 2010 so it does not show CR specific part numbers.
Brake fade in r is also less due to lsd which helps in braking

1 - 7 of 7 Posts