Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry to beat a dead horse with all the discussion of CS vs. CR shocks, but it seems like the Porsche catalogs list 2 different part numbers. However, when looking at the Bilstein part numbers, same part numbers are listed: 22-147578 front and 22-147585 rear. This would lead me to believe that the shocks are actually the same. Can someone confirm or deny this?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
the Bilstein part numbers are for B4 OEM spec. I don't think they have base/S/R specific models.
if you're keen to try Bilstein go for the B6 (normal height) or B8 spec (lowered) which is sportier (stiffer).

if not go for Porsche branded.

·
Registered
832 Posts
In order to ensure good configuration control it is not unusual to assign specific part numbers for specific end items even if the part is the same. i.e. future updates may indeed change the specific part, shock, for the CR relative to the CS. This change may now just be fazed in with time, without having to introduce a new part number.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I was operating under the assumption that Porsche just puts their own part number of Bilstein shocks and sells them as their own. Do they make their own shocks or is it another company altogether? I purchased Cayman R springs and am trying to find the most cost effective solution. I am open to any brand, but I have not seen anything other than Bilstein. What are my shock options ? Would reusing my current 09 Cayman S shocks be a bad idea? (Shorter life, shocks not matched for spring rates etc)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke with Bilstein customer service. They could not confirm if Bilstein is supplies the shocks for Cayman. I was told though that the B4 shocks are made to factory specs and I should be ok using B4 shocks (same PN between Cayman S and Cayman R) on my Cayman S with Cayman R shocks. Has anyone tried this setup? It seems like most people with the Cayman R suspension retrofit (on here) bought the entire setup together shocks and springs. I found new springs for $500 (set) new and B4 Bilsteins run about $200 each, so ~$1,300 total vs the kits I've seen running ~$2,400. Has anyone tried this setup - Bilstein B4 and Cayman R springs or can comment on it?

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
I spoke with Bilstein customer service. They could not confirm if Bilstein is supplies the shocks for Cayman. I was told though that the B4 shocks are made to factory specs and I should be ok using B4 shocks (same PN between Cayman S and Cayman R) on my Cayman S with Cayman R shocks. Has anyone tried this setup? It seems like most people with the Cayman R suspension retrofit (on here) bought the entire setup together shocks and springs. I found new springs for $500 (set) new and B4 Bilsteins run about $200 each, so ~$1,300 total vs the kits I've seen running ~$2,400. Has anyone tried this setup - Bilstein B4 and Cayman R springs or can comment on it?
Bilstein B8 sports will work very nicely with Cayman R springs. I had that exact setup (except for Boxster Spyder springs) on my 987.1 Cayman. I also installed a Cayman R rear sway bar (the front bar is common to both Cayman S & R). Get a Cayman R wheel alignment, and you'll be good to go!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Croc'ed, curious - did the rear sway bar make a big difference in the overall setup?
Prior to installing the Cayman rear bar, I had an adjustable RSS bar. Playing with the settings gave me an appreciation for their handling effects. I preferred a stiffer than stock setting, to dial out some of the inherent "push" or understeer. The Cayman R's rear bar is non-adjustable, and stiffer than the S's, so I think it's a no-brainer to add it to your setup. Plus, it's super easy to swap out and relatively inexpensive, so you can always revert to stock if you don't like it. But I suspect you will. Just be advised you'll need to swap out the rubber bushings too, since the bars are different diameters.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: eyeofthetiger

·
Registered
2006 CS 6M
34 Posts
Sorry I was operating under the assumption that Porsche just puts their own part number of Bilstein shocks and sells them as their own. Do they make their own shocks or is it another company altogether? I purchased Cayman R springs and am trying to find the most cost effective solution. I am open to any brand, but I have not seen anything other than Bilstein. What are my shock options ? Would reusing my current 09 Cayman S shocks be a bad idea? (Shorter life, shocks not matched for spring rates etc)?

sovietmuscle - what did you wind up doing for dampers with R springs?

I have recently purchased an S and the previous owner installed Eibach Pro-Kit springs which are too low in front. I spoke with my local Porsche shop and they said since Eibach are designed around factory dampers and the spring rates are similar to R, so I could just swap my front springs with R and it would be a cost effective way. But I have some doubts. Members say factory dampers with stiffer springs make for a bouncier ride.
Wheel Tire Automotive design Alloy wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
923 Posts
sovietmuscle - what did you wind up doing for dampers with R springs?

I have recently purchased an S and the previous owner installed Eibach Pro-Kit springs which are too low in front. I spoke with my local Porsche shop and they said since Eibach are designed around factory dampers and the spring rates are similar to R, so I could just swap my front springs with R and it would be a cost effective way. But I have some doubts. Members say factory dampers with stiffer springs make for a bouncier ride. View attachment 272369
Doc, I went with R springs and B8 eventually. The stock S dampers did not work. I wish I had the technical vocab to explain why. In lay terms, the R springs are shorter than the stock S springs and with the stock S dampers, there was some free play. The B8 dampers which are shorter than the stock S dampers solved this issue.

The above said, some some seem to have had success with R springs and stock S dampers so go figure.

My R springs with B8 sits higher than your current setup and its at about 2 finger height now front and rear. A slightly stiffer ride but not as firm as the KW V1s I had a long while back on another ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.