Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Cayman Race Car Build

93K views 323 replies 55 participants last post by  Lovejoy 
#1 ·
I drove my 2007 Cayman S on the street for the last time today coming back from a time attack at Button Willow. I've decided I want to race and the car will be on the trailer tomorrow to get a proper roll cage and other mods to race in POC's GT3 or GT2 class.

I'm looking at a VW GTI as it's street replacement.

#2 ·
Interesting. How often do you plan to race? Have you set a budget, or come up with some estimate of the costs? I would be interested to hear. Are these classes more or less expensive than Boxster Spec?

#3 ·
More expensive. Fortunately Quite a few of the mods I've already made to the engine, suspension and brakes are directly applicable. Spec Boxter is a great way to go for less expensive and fun racing.

#5 ·
Scary.....or at least it is for me. I recently made the same decision only running PCA GTB1 & NASA GTS4. Getting out of arrive and drives and going to try & save on the entry fees and invest them into the car in hopes of controlling costs.... (I realize this is a calculated risk)

#6 ·
Racing is expensive no matter how you cut it. I have to get a trailer and tow vehicle as well. I think I'm going to have to cut back on wild women! LOL I will be posting build progress pix.

#10 ·
Its a club racing series using Gen 1 Boxsters (late 90's) that have been race prepared to certain rigid standards. It requires a hard top, full roll cage, etc. The mods are designed to limit the cost of participating, and to make the outcome based more on driver skill than budget. Nothing you would be able to do (or want to do) with your current car. Here is a great thread where one of our local independent Porsche shops takes an OEM Boxster and turns it into a Boxster Spec racer.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-competition/45391-new-boxster-soon-bsr.html

#11 ·
818R kit is sitting in my garage. I'm going to sell it. I thought I'd have a ton of free time to build it and I was wrong. I decided I'd rather race a closed car as its safer. I'm also tired of experimenting with set up and working bugs out of cars. I'm not getting any younger and I want to race next season. The CS will be set up to a well known build for brakes, suspension and aero. I don't like to waste money but truth be told I can afford to race the Porsche.

#15 ·
God luck! After the car and the driver have become competitive with your run group its all about tires and heat cycles. Hopefully your class will have a spec tire requirement...if not get out the wallet...again!

#20 ·
It shouldn't be too difficult to unload the 818. Last I looked, there was over a year wait before delivery. That reason, plus the E46 was close by, made me defect to the BMW. All it needs now is a new steering rack, diff, Vanos repair, valve adjustment, steering wheel recover, pray the SMG holds up, then it'll be time to start all over with the rebuild.:)

#24 ·
11" front 12" rear. The body parts are fiberglass and they are lighter than the stock parts. We decided that it wasn't worth the extra money to go with CF since the engine produces way more than enough power to get us where we need to be for lb/hp requirements. In fact we need to detune the engine to ~ 450 RWHP. The inter-cooler will be in the rear hatch area and it will be easier to bond a scoop to fiberglass than weld it if we kept the steel hatch cover.

#28 ·
Are you selling those Sparcos?

#34 ·
Just curious are you talking with we're sharing any information with the gold crest guys that I believe, are also p repairing a 981

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.