Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
It is more of a front back issue. The tranny height is OK and the axles are higher which will result in a better angle. I haven't seen the unit under the car since it's in Cali and I'm in Vegas.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Well the patient is on the operating table but the surgeon won't start cutting till next week. Vision has used this jig / measuring table to do several custom tube frame and hybrid cars over the years. It's great that they can adjust to get the placement of the new rear sub assembly dead nuts for alignment, roll center etc. as they weld in the new support structure.

Attachments

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
This is the new pipe organ Vision is installing in my car. 996 rear suspension cradle with chrome moly tubing that will be trimmed and welded to the existing cayman frame and roll cage.

Attachments

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Tieing in the roll cage to the new shock tower location. It should be very rigid and the shock will no longer be a strut. It looks like the engine cover will be much easier to remove as a side benefit.

Attachments

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
So many details to work out. Wheelbase has changed and 13" wide wheels need more space. I'm heading to LA for the POC banquet this weekend and I'll get to eyeball it at Vision on Friday

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
So many details to work out. Wheelbase has changed and 13" wide wheels need more space. I'm heading to LA for the POC banquet this weekend and I'll get to eyeball it at Vision on Friday
Said it a few years ago, will say it again. And I thought I went off the deep end....

Out of curiosity, what offsets did you / are you running up front with 18x11's and 12's?

EDIT* and what offset(s) for the rear?

Thx
Mark

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Said it a few years ago, will say it again. And I thought I went off the deep end....

Out of curiosity, what offsets did you / are you running up front with 18x11's and 12's?

EDIT* and what offset(s) for the rear?

Thx
Mark
I'll have to check on the offsets not sure. We may be going to 12" in the front with more tire as well since the engine is 1" further forward and the turbos are now ahead of the rear axle. The fab work is much nicer in person, Vision is doing an amazing job. I can't wait to drive this beast!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'll have to check on the offsets not sure. We may be going to 12" in the front with more tire as well since the engine is 1" further forward and the turbos are now ahead of the rear axle. The fab work is much nicer in person, Vision is doing an amazing job. I can't wait to drive this beast!
LoL.....your car is going to be scary fast(er.)

If you would, please let me know where you end up up front. I need to buy new wheels for the season and struggling with offsets. The car is in 1000 pieces and suspension is being rebuilt, so I can't measure for a few more weeks.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Turbo race cars generate lots of heat. New engine and tranny location forced changes in the intercooler location. The existing oil cooler was too large and two smaller ones had to be integrated. The Two smaller ones have a greater capacity than the one large one.

Attachments

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
All of the chassis and suspension fabrication is done. the chassis in the paint shop today and final assembly will start as soon as the paint is hardened enough. Vision tore down the engine to see how it survived last season and everything looked great. Good to know the oiling system is working well. Having a low redline ~7,000 RPM is a big advantage for longevity. Since it's apart new bearings and rings will be installed.

The new location for the turbos moved them much closer to the exhaust ports so I think throttle response will be improved too. Can't wait to experience 1 BAR boost + ~ 200hp from .5 BAR

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't wait to see this thing someday on track.

What kind of lap times have you run at Laguna Seca in it so far with the previous H pattern transaxle?

I built a naturally aspirated 441ci (4.190" bore/4" stroke) alum LS engine for my old RX-7 but ended up selling the car. It should make 700rwhp all motor with an 8000rpm redline and weighs about 420lbs. I stumbled upon this website to research doing a Boxster/Cayman swap.... but I quickly was lead to the conclusion that a $15-20K upgraded transaxle was too big of a pill to swallow to make it reliable.

Spring is here and I'm sure you are eager to see how much time improvement the new transaxle results in; however since you are doing lots of other upgrades it would be hard to judge what made the best gains.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I stumbled upon this website to research doing a Boxster/Cayman swap.... but I quickly was lead to the conclusion that a $15-20K upgraded transaxle was too big of a pill to swallow to make it reliable.
I have a 500hp LS in my Cayman and the stock gearbox works fine. I'd love to have a sequential but $20k is on the cheap side of what's available. $35k is more realistic. Anyway a stock Cayman 6 speed with a GT diff and an oil cooler will hold up just fine.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Laguna is one of my favorite tracks to break the car! LOL I don't have much time there but if memory serves I was running 1:35's in the last race. My experience with slicks and over 500 lb of torque the stock tranny is anything but reliable on track.

181 - 200 of 240 Posts