Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

261 - 265 of 265 Posts

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Mezger reactor is ready for installation! It's actually more compact than the old engine and will allow moving the engine and transaxle forward 1" and down 2-3". Much better axle angles and improved CG. More room on the top of the engine for routing dry sump hoses and easier maintenance too.
Unfortunately it's won't be tested before Laguna on June 12th. There are going to be some outrageous cars competing in GT1 including 2 new GT2 RS Club Sport and 2 Audi A8 LMS. It would be a great benchmark to test against.
I'll be driving a 2006 GT4 class Cayman again and it will be great fun! Mezger Reactor crop.jpg

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #262 (Edited)
Solid progress happening. We are looking for every bit of space to allow perfect axle alignment. Vision determined that the bellhousing could be trimmed 25mm by changing to a thin single mass flywheel. the 1" reduction of distance allows perfect alignment for the axle shafts. A very good thing with 600 lb/ft of torque!

AAsco has finished the flywheel ( standard G50 single mass TT) and bellhousing modification. Clutch is being upgraded from a dual disk Tilton to a 3 disk. 1/3 more torque capacity and smoother engagement. The clutch is only used to start from a dead stop and first gear is very long so starting can be a bitch.

Other details like moving the clutch pedal to the left and widening the brake pedal to facilitate left foot braking are done too. Engine and gearbox will go in next week and the exhaust, plumbing and wiring will be addressed.
I'm starting to get excited again now! Brake pedal edit.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I can certainly understand why; we're excited for you too.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
This is the new DSC stand alone controller mounted in the car. The system has it's own accelerometer and the only connections to the car are +12 V and ground. No laptop required for setup, it has it's own screen. It is possible to set up more that one program and it can be selected by a push button on the steering wheel on the fly for an instant A-B
We just couldn't get the standard DSC to talk to the Motec CAN. Hopefully this will work well. DSC Controller Mounted.jpg

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Engineering and fabrication as art? I wish I could weld like this! The new front mount is engineered to allow the engine to be placed as far forward as possible. It can be adjusted vertically by spacers where it mounts to the chassis. The large Teflon center bushing allows for a tilt in the engine and gearbox if desired but functions as a solid mount with almost no deflection. Elegant solution on the fly. Front Engine mount.jpg

261 - 265 of 265 Posts