Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 2006 Cayman came with one key and the remote part is cracked and doesn't stay together. So I did not want to pay 350 for a new key. I purchased a new remote with blank key on ebay, the remote part did not have any internal parts. So I moved all the internal parts from the original key to the new remote and everything works just fine. The new key fob came with a blank key, so I had it laser cut and was going to use it as a spare. Well, when I put it into the original key fab (which does not have any internal parts now) and tested it, it does not work. The new laser cut key fits in the car door and ignition, but does not start the car. I am assuming it needs the transponder, which is now in the new key fob Anybody comment on this? Do I need to have a new key fob for this backup key?

thanks

·
Registered
832 Posts
in a word; Yep! On modern cars you need the transponder as well as the physical key. Note sure where you live, but here in LA you can no longer get a transponder from anyone other than the dealer. $$$ This was done supposedly to reduce auto theft. i.e. the dealer will require your registration, a photo ID, the car, and the working key. Oh and don't forget to bring your charge card, It's not cheap. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in a word; Yep! On modern cars you need the transponder as well as the physical key. Note sure where you live, but here in LA you can no longer get a transponder from anyone other than the dealer. $$$ This was done supposedly to reduce auto theft. i.e. the dealer will require your registration, a photo ID, the car, and the working key. Oh and don't forget to bring your charge card, It's not cheap. Good luck.

Thanks guys for your advise....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just got an expensive key from the dealer based on the vin for a 2011 Boxster S. Seems they don't record anything if the door key and ignition key locks are replaced, so now I have a nice light paperweight. They won't take it back inspite of my using vin, registration, driver's license and current key. Go to EBAY and get the $6.50 blank and search for a cutting service if there's any doubt about the car. A clue will be if the ignition key doesn't turn the glove compartment lock. My original from po did not turn the glove lock, but the vin key does. RRRR!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.