Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 cayman S 6 speed, driving the other day and dropped into second gear and something seemed strange. I don't know what it was, but then it seemed to shift strange.

next day, I'm driving and try to shift from first to second and the shifter won't enter the gate for second gear.

I managed to get it in and drive it home (stayed in second almost the whole trip).

was thinking could be clutch master/slave cyl, but thought I'd see if anyone has experienced this before. there has never been any slippage, so I'm hoping it's not the clutch.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
574 Posts
You need to check the shift cables on the transmission to ensure they are properly attached. The next thing would be to check the adjustment of the shifter with the alignment tool.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
2008 cayman S 6 speed, driving the other day and dropped into second gear and something seemed strange. I don't know what it was, but then it seemed to shift strange.

next day, I'm driving and try to shift from first to second and the shifter won't enter the gate for second gear.

I managed to get it in and drive it home (stayed in second almost the whole trip).

was thinking could be clutch master/slave cyl, but thought I'd see if anyone has experienced this before. there has never been any slippage, so I'm hoping it's not the clutch.

Thoughts?
First a couple of questions.

When it is stopped with the engine off can you shift into each gear?
When stopped engine running and clutch pressed in, can you move the lever to neutral and then back to first or ANY OTHER GEAR?
When started in neutral can you press the clutch in and choose first gear or reverse gear normally?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First a couple of questions.

When it is stopped with the engine off can you shift into each gear?
When stopped engine running and clutch pressed in, can you move the lever to neutral and then back to first or ANY OTHER GEAR?
When started in neutral can you press the clutch in and choose first gear or reverse gear normally?
I didn't try when the car was off, will look at that when I get home tonight.

with the car started, it was VERY hard to get into first...did not try reverse.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think what J Patterson is getting at is it may be the clutch going out. How many miles on it (not that that matters; some people seem to get crazy mileage out of clutch and others, not so much).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think what J Patterson is getting at is it may be the clutch going out. How many miles on it (not that that matters; some people seem to get crazy mileage out of clutch and others, not so much).
yeah, this is my fear...this is a cpo and I've only had it for 10k miles. has 55k on it now.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
yeah, this is my fear...this is a cpo and I've only had it for 10k miles. has 55k on it now.
Exactly. I'm asking in order to establish whether it is clutch or shift linkage. Be forewarned that CPO does not cover clutch due to normal wear but it DOES cover a slave cyl failure. Have this discussion with your SA before they disassemble. I had to replace both clutch AND slave cyl, but the parts at inspection indicated that only a slave cyl was needed. My car was at 45000 miles and 10000 of those were mine, so I wondered about the original owner too. Same as you I had a few shifts that felt funny then one day the clutch just would not release properly. 1-2 2-3 shifts were normal then the 3-4 shift felt like something broke or bound up. I came home shifting without the clutch by matching revs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly. I'm asking in order to establish whether it is clutch or shift linkage. Be forewarned that CPO does not cover clutch due to normal wear but it DOES cover a slave cyl failure. Have this discussion with your SA before they disassemble. I had to replace both clutch AND slave cyl, but the parts at inspection indicated that only a slave cyl was needed. My car was at 45000 miles and 10000 of those were mine, so I wondered about the original owner too. Same as you I had a few shifts that felt funny then one day the clutch just would not release properly. 1-2 2-3 shifts were normal then the 3-4 shift felt like something broke or bound up. I came home shifting without the clutch by matching revs.
darn...do you remember what the dealer charged for the clutch replacement? did you have to do the flywheel too?

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you do replace the clutch I recommend changing the flywheel as well since they have a tendency to lock up.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
My original quote was $3700. That did include flywheel , pressure plate, and clutch disc but did not include slave cyl. I went and inspected the parts at the dealership and my clutch disc, flywheel, pressure plate were like new. I've done a few clutches in my time and THIS was not a worn out clutch. We looked everything over for a cracked part or a failed spring or such but none was present. The flywheel was tight with no axial play. It had the proper amount of radial play when rotated by hand. (15 degrees IIRC) I followed my instincts and told the SA and the tech that I wanted to keep the Dual Mass Flywheel, but go ahead and install a new pressure plate and clutch and to add a slave cyl to the list because THAT is what I believed was wrong. " OK your car" The bill for this ended up being right at $2000.00 . That was 7 months ago. I've put 12000 miles on it and it has been perfect. I will always believe it was nothing other than a failed slave. Not a leaking slave but one that had sucked air and would not release the clutch. I also believe that the techs often change perfectly good dual mass flywheels because it is so hard to get to them should they fail later. Obviously an owner who paid for a new clutch would be very unhappy if the flywheel then failed a few thousand miles later. I kind of understand that but for an extra $1000 plus to change it, I was willing to take the risk and keep mine. It looked too good to toss. FWIW, in 45 years of driving manual trans cars and trucks, I have had to change 2 clutches. A 1979 Ford F350 that ran heavily loaded for 100000 miles first and this Cayman S when it had 50,000 miles on it. Some of the clutches my son and I have had have gone over 150,000 miles. If you don't slip them they should last the life of the vehicle. Hydraulic slave cylinders. That is a different matter.

Best of luck with yours.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sounds like my recent pressure plate failure. If you can shift it fine with the engine shut off - it's not the cables. Also my clutch slave was slightly leaking, and I replaced it. I'm tempted to offer to help you replace the clutch at Dream Garage - but I'd have to okay it with the Mrs. BTW, I could drive the car on the freeway just fine - shifting isn't finicky while at higher speeds and proper rev matching. In traffic I would shut it off to get it going in 1st. Not that I recommend doing that in a heavy commute situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could a leaky clutch master/slave cyl cause the clutch to wear poorly?

Ever since I've owned my car, I've thought the clutch was possessed...I'm wondering if there was something going wrong. I've dropped my car off at the dealer, but want to be prepared if a fault in a warranty part could have caused undue wear on the clutch/pp/fw.

Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Unlikely - a slave actuates the pressure plate. If it leaks - it just won't work well enough to engage the plate fully.

It would make for difficult shifting. But not premature plate failure or disc wear.

The disc itself is the wear item btw. The plate doesn't wear per se - but can fail.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Is there fluid in the transaxle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dealer just called, not mast/slave cyl. cracking it open to see...good news is, they claim it could be covered under CPO Warranty if it's a cracked pressure plate...hoping for this!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Good luck! A cracked pressure plate is exactly what mine felt like. Like something broke as I mashed the clutch in for the 3-4 shift. I looked it over though and did not see anything. I still wonder......... Sounds as if your dealer is being thorough.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts