Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, going into the 7th year of CS ownership (bought new in 2008). Does time fly!

Besides regular scheduled maintenance is there any thing that should be changed after this time?

I'm thinking maybe springs or suspension bushes/rubbery thingies may be a bit tired and the sharpness of the car slowly ebbing away?

I'm having crazy ideas of swapping PASM suspension for the Cayman R one, and maybe also the wheels (Cayman R also)! If this is the case I would like to be informed of any other parts that might benefit from a refresh.

·
Registered
142 Posts
it sounds like a new car itch to me! :D
Have you considered a 981 by any chance?
:cheers:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ask yourself this question," Is a new 981 $40K better than what you have now?"
Very valid point. But many make decisions by heart rather than mind.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'm thinking maybe springs or suspension bushes/rubbery thingies may be a bit tired and the sharpness of the car slowly ebbing away?
Whether or not these things need replacing depends on a large number of variables: how you drive, track usage, weather in your area, etc. You didn't mention the number of miles on your car, that will make a difference too, of course.

Have the car inspected by a good mechanic that you trust.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Skipping the maintenance items (transmission fluids, spark plugs, etc)

Here's some I recommend:

remove the bumper and clean out the radiators and put mesh on.

Check the axle boots aren't leaking grease.

Check the 2 cam sensor o-rings aren't leaking

Possibly replace the AOS

Seafoam the intake tract (change oil after)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi, going into the 7th year of CS ownership (bought new in 2008). Does time fly!

Besides regular scheduled maintenance is there any thing that should be changed after this time?

I'm having crazy ideas of swapping PASM suspension for the Cayman R one, and maybe also the wheels (Cayman R also)! If this is the case I would like to be informed of any other parts that might benefit from a refresh.
Nothing that is not indicated by a problem or symptom.

I've not renewed or preemptively replaced anything on my 2002 Boxster even with 288K miles on it. Orignal clutch, suspension, radiator hoses, and one radiator. (The other was replaced years ago when I hit some road debris.) 3 of the 4 wheel bearings are original and the "new" one has around 200K miles on it.

If you don't trust yourself you can have a trusted tech road test the car and advise you. While I trust myself, just to get a confirmation I have not missed anything I have this done with both of my cars every so often and each time the tech comes back with no problems found and the car drives/handles just fine no need to update the suspension, shocks, or any drivetrain hardware, including so far the original clutch.

A few drivetrain and engine things have been replaced over the years: fuel pump, water pump, CV boots, engine mounts, that one wheel bearing, O2 sensors, converters (replaced with used bought at a salvage yard), spark plug tube o-rings, MAF and the passenger side VarioCam solenoid/actuator. Oh, and one front sway bar link. And while not engine or drive train related, both front and rear trunk lid gas struts, both window regulators, a door lock assembly and a door latch assembly, ignition switch (probably unnecessary), and a brake light switch, clutch starter interlock switch, and the clutch cruise control switch. Oh, yeah, and 3 AOS's.

Added: I forgot the list the coolant tank and coolant tank cap.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback, my car has about 46K miles. I'm not going to trade up for a new 981 sorry, I love the hydraulic steering and curvaceous rump of My CS :)

If money would come my way, only the GT3 or now possibly the new Cayman GT4 would tempt me away. Barring that I would like to do some upgrades, mainly focusing on increasing sharpness, I´m not a power junkie!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, my car has about 46K miles. I'm not going to trade up for a new 981 sorry, I love the hydraulic steering and curvaceous rump of My CS :)

If money would come my way, only the GT3 or now possibly the new Cayman GT4 would tempt me away. Barring that I would like to do some upgrades, mainly focusing on increasing sharpness, I´m not a power junkie!
The correct suspension upgrades will transform your car. If you have PASM, TPC Racing has developed an upgraded PASM computer called DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) that works faster and better than the stock computer. A little birdie from TPC also told me that they are working with a top notch European suspension company and will be releasing some shock upgrades soon that will work well with the DSC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts