Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd reach out to the community to get some opinions and / or see if anyone has done this before...

I just bought a 2014 Cayman S and am pumped! In the past I had a BMW 335 coupe with red interior...It had just the right amount of red in it for me...seats + a few surfaces with the rest black. I didn't have the guts to find an all red Cayman interior so I sought out a GT Silver Metallic with black leather.

My question is...has anyone picked up some Carrera Red floor mats and put them into an all black interior...I thought for a hundred bucks it would be a quick color pop...If so...pictures?

Thoughts?
Salem

·
Registered
666 Posts
Too much a pop for my taste, but only you have to like it. In any event, they can easily be replaced.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have them. And red back carpet. And red leather dash pieces (cupholder, shifter surround, key slot) to replace all of the shiny silver. Looks great.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'll try to snap some tonight at home if there is enough sunlight left.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Mine has gray floor mats :hilarious:

Reactions: rjpeaks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to get some red mats and post a picture when I do! Maybe I’ll like it…maybe not…but why not?!
Had I ordered the car and not bought CPO I would have definitely put some contrasting red stitching in there for sure for the pop.
Salem

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Salem,
Welcome to the swamp & CONGRATULATIONS for the new toy.

My guess the red carpets will be alright. But I'd start with other elements if I were you. For example, I'd go with red seat belts, red stitched steering wheel, red Chrono stop-clock or even red instrument dials.

Even if you go with red carpets, you need some red above to tie it together.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here are some photos of my configuration with red.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Bluz - get some red matz!
I got gray mats for two very good reasons.
1. Contrary to popular myth, dirt shows up on black just as readily as it does on white. The one part of my interior that screams "I'm dirty" are the black door sills. Use a medium tone, and dirt doesn't show up as readily.
2. When you drop something on the floor, it's impossible to find it (unless it's white) when you've got black carpet or mats; especially at night or when there's dim ambient lighting. Use a medium tone, and you don't have that problem.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Coco mats with the red and black pattern. Never look dirty, wear like iron, top quality. Order direct from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I got gray mats for two very good reasons.
1. Contrary to popular myth, dirt shows up on black just as readily as it does on white. The one part of my interior that screams "I'm dirty" are the black door sills. Use a medium tone, and dirt doesn't show up as readily.
2. When you drop something on the floor, it's impossible to find it (unless it's white) when you've got black carpet or mats; especially at night or when there's dim ambient lighting. Use a medium tone, and you don't have that problem.
Great points, I hadn't thought of, but too late for me. Are there aftermarket sills? Can you configure them in gray? Or would the metal ones be better? My black sills always look dirty.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Here are some photos of my configuration with red.
Looks awesome with the blue! It is Clark Kent in a suite instead of in his cape :hilarious:

I would have added at least a red SC dial but this looks great... Is the trim and surround red leather or painted red? This is the first time that I like the trim in color for some reason....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Looks awesome with the blue! It is Clark Kent in a suite instead of in his cape :hilarious:

I would have added at least a red SC dial but this looks great... Is the trim and surround red leather or painted red? This is the first time that I like the trim in color for some reason....

It is the factory leather pieces. All of the red bits are factory. Takes a while to get, but, look proper :)

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
It is the factory leather pieces. All of the red bits are factory. Takes a while to get, but, look proper :)
Great. A pity there is not racing yellow leather... for these pieces at least :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the idea of the grey floor mats too...can see how they would hide dirt better than anything else of course...
Got the red ones en route already (as is the car - this MONDAY!) and will try them out...may order grey too!

What are we talking cost-wise for the leater inserts...was it difficult to do after the fact or did the dealer install them?

Thanks!
Salem

Reactions: Bluzpwr

·
Registered
259 Posts
Looking at about 1200 USD for the dash and shifter surround... Took about 2 months to get (they put the pieces in line with cars being built, I think) from Germany.

Dealer installed them, took them a few minutes. Shockingly, the rear carpet was only about $300.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looking at about 1200 USD for the dash and shifter surround... Took about 2 months to get (they put the pieces in line with cars being built, I think) from Germany.

Dealer installed them, took them a few minutes. Shockingly, the rear carpet was only about $300.
The satin finish on the dash is really nice, I like the effect much better than painted. Now if only you could get the door piece covered after the fact but that does not seem to be available. $300 is a bargain, who would have thought!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts