Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I drive it hard and pull it into the garage, there is a bad burning smell. 9500 miles on a 2014 Cayman S. I have read this is normal??? Really? What is burning?
:drivingskid:

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Everytime I drive it hard and pull it into the garage, there is a bad burning smell. 9500 miles on a 2014 Cayman S. I have read this is normal??? Really? What is burning?
Likely Cosmoline.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't consider it a "burning" smell. I've always just associated that with Porsche engines -- my dad's 996 had the same smell after being driven. I actually find it somewhat intoxicating ... like the smell of a mechanics shop or tires after a burnout. I'd wear it as a cologne no question...

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
It's the exhaust system, and most do smell even after many miles and years of use. I have often heard that it's caused by cosmoline, but I've never found any reference to Porsche using this type of preservative on their exhausts. I am very familiar with cosmoline, and the burning smell that most refer to is nothing like the smell of cosmoline. In any case, it's nothing to worry about and most of us consider it normal.

Reactions: Drizz

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have a 2014 CS with 3500 miles and my car does NOT smell.
Drive it hard and it will;). Since cars with tens of thousands of miles do that as well, it has to be something around the exhaust that heats up more than it should, and causes the smell. That's to be expected from a totally surrounded engine. And since nothing has ever happened to any Porsche that we know of, no reason to worry;).

·
Registered
204 Posts
At 50k miles, the smells remain, however they can be grouped into 3 distinct categories over time.

1.) The smell of plastic and chemicals
This can likely be attributed to the new car components.

2.) Oil and Rubber
After I logged some miles on the car, I began to drive in a more...spirited manner.

3.) Exhaust
I went with a catless race headed setup, so this one goes without saying.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the replies. Love to drive her hard! I'll ignore the smell and like one reply said, wear it as cologne! Love to listen to that PDK do it's job! More fun than my old 911, sorry guys...I can't shift that fast!

·
Registered
782 Posts
As correctly Posted, the smell comes from materials used on parts for preservative and assembly purposes.
If you Track your car, the smell will go away after the first season of a few events depending on how hard and far you drive.-Richard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.