Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally pulled the trigger on the money gun and will accept delivery of my new 2015 Cayman S in Leipzig in May. BTW we've made many trips to Germany with plenty of driving experience in Europe, I invite all comments on our plan!

We will begin by flying to Berlin for 2 nights, then take the train to Leipzig.

Will drive initially after May 22 delivery (and track Porsche track time!) from Leipzig to Rothenburg o.d. Tauber (night)

Next day via autobahn south past Stuttgart, then north on B500 to Baden-Baden (night)

Next day (if weather is good) north to Nurburgring for a lap or two. (If weather bad, then this will be delayed until the day after Spa, see next 2 days...;)

Next day to Stevelot, Belgium to stay 2 nights, with a track day on May 25 booked at Spa F1 track. (Yeah, pray for no rain!) (BTW I am prepping for both tracks with a Sony PSP using Gran Turismo 5 to learn the tracks. I've got one lap on the Nurburgring but it was more than a decade ago)

The day after Spa drive, will visit friends on the Moselle River, followed by another trip back to Belgium for a reunion party.

Then we plan to drive the remaining 6 days through the Alps passes if they are open. My initial route plan assumes all are open, we'll have to be flexible if the snow hits late in the year.

Belgium to Lugano via San Bernadino Pass (night)

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map for the next two days (but since the passes aren't open Mapquest won't draw the route properly)

Lugano to Chur via Chiavenna, ss37 to Silvaplauna (side trip to Bivio for Albula pass east side), 27 to St Moritz, 27 over St Gotthard Pass to Davos, 28 and A13 to Chur (night)

Chur to Ulm via 19 Grimsel Pass, then Furka Pass, then Susten Pass to Wassen then north to Ulm (night)

A couple of comments. I know we are pressing the break in period for the Cayman on the track day. I want to hit a minimum of 500 miles on the brakes before Spa (or Nurburgring). It's been difficult to find some real guidance on the pros and cons of selecting Sport Plus on the track day at Spa. At a minimum I think I will have to short-shift manually if I select Sport plus. Comments please?

Another thing are ideas for alternate drives in the Alps in the event the high passes remain closed. You'll note that I didn't include Stelvio as it seems all I read is how crowded the road is with limited sight lines. Appreciate the ideas!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Wow! Never done it, but I'm thrilled for you!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds fantastic. My other half and I are planning a 3 week euro tour for our 2016 summer holiday in our boxster so I'll look forward to your report on highlights or otherwise

Re sport plus, I'm assuming it is a pdk you're getting based on this question. If you are still in break-in I would definitely be putting it in manual mode so you can shift at whatever revs you think are appropriate.

Even if you override auto to short shift, a few seconds later the current mode will override it and shift back down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts