Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I own an Cayman S, built in May'06.
I bought it in US dealership (December '06) and took it home in Russia.

The car has a total of 18.000 Km (11K miles) and it's been always serviced.
Two weeks ago I heard a small mechanical noise coming from the engine but the engine was running great and there were no warning lights/messages on the dash.
Oil and coolant levels were OK.
There is 1 mile between my home and local Porsche dealer and next day I went to dealer.

You can see the diagnostic result on the photo.

The problem is that the car is out of warranty (warranty period is 2 years in Russia)
The cost here in Russia is about 65K US$ for new replacement engine or about 25K US$ for refurbished engine.
Russian Porsche branch will not split the cost of engine replacement, they told me that it's my problem.
I have no choice, I will pay because I love my car.

But...
OK, if my engine has 100.000 miles I should be ready for the engine repair/replacement.
But 11k miles?

I bought a Porsche.
Next time will I have to buy Focus or Corolla?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Do you know what caused it?

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Hi,
I own an Cayman S, built in May'06.
I bought it in US dealership (December '06) and took it home in Russia.

I bought a Porsche.
Sorry to hear this Andrey,
I have access to a engine with 124 miles only before the car was crashed. (I already have the gearbox in my car) cost for this is 4500GBP approx $6500!!! don't know if this is of any use to you??

·
On Probation
582 Posts
it looks like small impact dings on the piston then it went between bore and piston. perhaps a lawyer can help...why should a car bought in the US lose its warranty...find another dealer

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have access to a engine with 124 miles only before the car was crashed. (I already have the gearbox in my car) cost for this is 4500GBP approx $6500!!! don't know if this is of any use to you??
Thank you.
I have ordered refurbished engine from dealer, because there are very big problems to import engine in Russia myself (crazy custom fees, a lot of papers and time).

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...why should a car bought in the US lose its warranty...
Unfortunately, dealer is right.

"The warranty periods begin on the day of delivery to the customer. The following periods apply:
* 4 year / 50,000 mls (80,000 km) warranty for all new vehicles whichever occurs first*;
*Applies for vehicles purchased and registered in the USA and Canada (outside the USA and Canada 2 years / unlimited miles)."

There is a link:
Warranty Periods - Porsche Service - Personalization and Service - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Ummm I would stop and contact Scott at Softronic, there is a known defect with some of our engines and a silent Porsche repair campaign on them for broken piston tops (result of a faulty casting I believe) and Porsche WILL pick up the tab if your car is one of these cars and you have that problem, so it would be worth talking to Scott about to see if this may be the issue.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
Ummm I would stop and contact Scott at Softronic, there is a known defect with some of our engines and a silent Porsche repair campaign on them for broken piston tops (result of a faulty casting I believe) and Porsche WILL pick up the tab if your car is one of these cars and you have that problem, so it would be worth talking to Scott about to see if this may be the issue.
wow..thats a heads up tip.....if it pans out he,s gonna save a bunch of coin

·
Premium Member
981CaymanS
619 Posts
Thank you.
I have ordered refurbished engine from dealer, because there are very big problems to import engine in Russia myself (crazy custom fees, a lot of papers and time).
Andrey, I am sorry for the bad news, can you tow your car out of Russia, install Tess engine and drive back..?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I bought a Porsche.
Sorry for your loss. I can only imagine your pain and disappointment. Sorry to break it up to you that no Focus, Corolla or even a Lada would break at 11K miles. Maybe a Wartburg... but not sure if anybody here ever heard of it.

It's worth the fight... check with Softronic and update us please. It's a shame that Porsche hide behind their failures like that and instead brag about the perfection of their engineering.

That is dirt cheap !!! Water coolant and gaskets almost cost me half of that amount in spare parts ONLY!!! I wish none of us needs to replace his engine, but if any does I wish we can can have a bargain like that. God bless you Tess, you could be a car-life saver with that offer.

Ummm I would stop and contact Scott at Softronic
Again Ken, the valuable info exchanged on this forum proves to be priceless. You could be saving one of us 30%-50% of the price of his car with this info. May I ask if this defect is associated with a certain year model or generation? And at what milage does is it likely to occur.

Andrey, I am sorry for the bad news, can you tow your car out of Russia, install Tess engine and drive back..?
Or better, Andrey:
1) have your dealer buy/import the engine for you.
2) buy the engine yourself and have it delivered/shipped to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mmm... I know it looks stupid for people who never lived in Russia, but an engine number is second (VIN is the first) car identification number.
Engine number is used in custom clearance procedure, it is checked by police clerk when a person buy, sell, register a car.
Engine number is printed in a car passport and in a car registration card (there are two docs in Russia that replace an US title).

So if I return in Russia with new engine number... I have a lot of problem with custom (it's new import of car! pay 48% of car price again!), re-registration, etc.

Anyway, an engine has been ordered, but I hope that Porsche will compensate a part of my expenses.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I sincerely hope that Porsche foots the entire bill.For all our sakes,Given that the engine only had 11k miles and was regularily serviced....in my opinion it is not acceptable that you be treated in such a manner...Goodluck and please keep us posted as to the final outcome.Porsche needs to treat there customers with a little more respect...

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Mmm... I know it looks stupid for people who never lived in Russia, but an engine number is second (VIN is the first) car identification number.
Engine number is used in custom clearance procedure, it is checked by police clerk when a person buy, sell, register a car.
Engine number is printed in a car passport and in a car registration card (there are two docs in Russia that replace an US title).
This is similar in the UK, but we do have a provision, that should an engine swap be necessary, that this can be changed on the "Log Book" (Passport) of the vehicle. As can other items like the colour should you have a wrap or you girlfriend likes pink !! and therefore you respray the car !! we can also change the registration number of a vehicle.
Of course for all these changes you MUST have the correct paperwork, but it's not that much hassle.

Mind you only last week I was under the misapprehension that on a “Drive On-Drive Off” Ferry that we would be able to do what it says, and drive off from the port when disembarking, Well ….Not in Vladivostok.!!!
We imported a US spec Japanese car back to Tokyo Japan, then drove it through Japan and shipped it on a RoRo ferry from Sakaiminato Japan via South Korea to Vladivostok

It then took us 3 full days with all the correct paperwork to get it cleared in Vladivostok!! So I do understand your dilemma Andrey.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wait.... a replacement engine is how much?!?

$65,000US? or $6,500US?
$65,000.
US price is $30,000

FYI: Russian CS base price is 100K USD, my CS (with options - PCCB, xenon, PCM, Bose, 19" wheels, etc) - 165K USD.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It then took us 3 full days with all the correct paperwork to get it cleared in Vladivostok!!
:) You understand me. I imported my CS myself - Kotka (Finland) (10 minutes)- Russian border (12 hours) - Moscow (because only there CS could be cleared, it was a rule for all luxury cars)(3 days) - St.-Petersburg.
And it was a typical formal procedure!
It will be a crazy trip with new engine - it's non-typical situation.

Tess, I'm sure you can tell me.
What is e-mail of Porsche Head Office in Germany for customer issue report?
I haven't found suitable contact on their international website.
It looks like local dealer and Russian Porsche office don't want to help me (I've received a formal short letter from them - "Warranty is not applicable") and I would like to contact Porsche directly.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
:)
Tess, I'm sure you can tell me.
What is e-mail of Porsche Head Office in Germany for customer issue report?
I haven't found suitable contact on their international website.
It looks like local dealer and Russian Porsche office don't want to help me (I've received a formal short letter from them - "Warranty is not applicable") and I would like to contact Porsche directly.
Andrey, I don't know but I will find out for you (it will be Monday though)

allan

1 - 20 of 38 Posts