Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
2000th Member!
197 Posts
Booster you would be completely shocked if you drove my car. With the work I've done its doesn't even like like a cayman anymore. It feels like a whole new animal. BIG difference with performance upgrades.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
thanks for all your opinion. it shows that we have a passionate and enthusiasts here in the forum.

why do i care about hp/l? if you look at one of sport car criteria, it has to be small and lightweight like 4by4 said. look at formula 1 cars, they all can crank up big hp with such a small engine, i dont remember the exact numbers, but i think 2.x liter for like 700+hp, maybe more. sport car has to be powerful and yet light weight enough so it can carry the weight. i do notice though that the lbs/hp for base is lots smaller than lbs/hp in the S and that's more important than hp/l in my opinion, but still, looking at the competitors, porsche engine is pretty weak and that's what i m trying to point out...

maybe my argument is not strong enough, but anyway, just want to chime in.. i totally am not bashing anything here, but looking atsport car industry, porsche is pretty weak in this dept compare to its competitors (BMW, MB, Audi), unless we are talking high end car (997 turbo, 997 GT3)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Something else that I have noticed is that the car is faster than it feels. I mean it is so solid and smooth you don't realize how fast it is until you glance at the speedo and your jaw drops!

Russ

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The Lancer Evolution engine is a 2.0 turbocharged inline four rated at 286 bhp giving it a <u>143 bhp/liter</u>. Not only that you get AWD, Recaro seats, and a large aftermarket support. I had one and it was a great and fun car - VERY FUN! And for only $30+K the Evo is an awesome bargain. Giant killer as many have called it. I'm sure its numbers would satisfy you.

You shouldn't compare an F1 car to a street car. There is no sense in it.

But after all the debate, ultimately it is up to you. Do whatever you want. Get whatever car you feel is right. You seem to have already made up your mind anyway so all I can say is get that order in for your car and advanced congratulations.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Get the S if you don't want to get beat of the line by a Toyota Camry/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/tounge_smile.gif

·
Registered
94 Posts
thanks for all your opinion. it shows that we have a passionate and enthusiasts here in the forum.

why do i care about hp/l? if you look at one of sport car criteria, it has to be small and lightweight like 4by4 said. look at formula 1 cars, they all can crank up big hp with such a small engine, i dont remember the exact numbers, but i think 2.x liter for like 700+hp, maybe more. sport car has to be powerful and yet light weight enough so it can carry the weight. i do notice though that the lbs/hp for base is lots smaller than lbs/hp in the S and that's more important than hp/l in my opinion, but still, looking at the competitors, porsche engine is pretty weak and that's what i m trying to point out...

maybe my argument is not strong enough, but anyway, just want to chime in.. i totally am not bashing anything here, but looking atsport car industry, porsche is pretty weak in this dept compare to its competitors (BMW, MB, Audi), unless we are talking high end car (997 turbo, 997 GT3)

F1 cars needs a new engine every race...the life of an F1 engine is only 500 miles ...../fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/drivingskid.gif

Also costs a million bucks!!!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
If you have not noticed the engines in F1 have to last 2 races.. Also its not the HP that you feel its the torque.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
<blockquote id="quote">quote:<hr noshade="" id="quote" height="1" />

Might I suggest the following formula:

(HP / Torque * Curb Weight + Number of Seats ) / (Fuel Tank Capacity * Brake Rotor Diameter - Cargo Space + Tire Pressure) ^ # of Cylinders

Seems like as good of a formula as any...
<hr noshade="" id="quote" height="1" />
</blockquote>

The correct formula is ^ (# of Cylinders/# preset radio stations) - assuming the Bose.

Edited by - fmarshall on 08/23/2006 10:17:31 AM

·
Registered
155 Posts
G

You can never say anything negative on this site about the Cayman, no matter how true it is.

295 is a bit low for a 3.4 lump I argee, BMW has no trouble with 3.2l putting out 343. The stright 6 in M3 is a great engine and I'd be happy if it was in the Cayman. We all know why the Cayman makes moderate Hp per litre. It's more to do with the next model up than any other reason.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you have not noticed the engines in F1 have to last 2 races.. Also its not the HP that you feel its the torque.

My bad...the new rule is that the engines needs to run 2 race weekends/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thanks.gif

·
Registered
299 Posts
Also, the brakes are actually different, smaller and use black version of calipers. However, I think the base Cayman is actually a great buy.
I have the base Boxster, and it IS a great buy. As for brakes, the calipers are the same (okay, different paint); the base car has smaller-diameter front discs. Does it matter? Consumer Reports, no fan of high-performance cars, said this:

<br/ >

The [base] Boxster's brakes are the best that we've ever tested, with dry stops from 60 mph averaging 112 feet. Its wet stops were shorter than most cars' dry stops.

<br/ >

Average means they were getting some stops even shorter than that.

<br/ >

The S's larger-diameter front rotors may cool slightly faster but I doubt that they grip any better. Porsche brakes are simply fantastic. All are so resistant to fade that I feel safe in saying that nothing you can do on the street will get the base brakes -- to say nothing of the S brakes -- anywhere near their limits.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree CP, over the last week of ownership, it has struck me as how similar my base Cayman feels to my old '95 Miata R. Very similar steering and suspension feel. The Cayman in everyday driving does not feel especially powerful, but is more than enough for me. My wife even commented that our Outback XT 'feels' faster, which I attribute to abundance of torque below 4000rpms in the OBXT and the fact that I threatened to revoke her Cayman privledges if she goes over 4000rpms.

So far the base Cayman, with 17' wheels, has been utter bliss for me.

Edited by - bgsntth on 08/23/2006 12:44:07 PM

·
Registered
319 Posts
This thread reminds me of the mail order bride from Eastern Europe.You have choices of cup size and hair color. It is sure make the life easier than buying a Porsche./fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/pc.gif[/quote]

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is just buying HD displays (contrast ratios, resolutions, etc.), amps (THDs, power, etc), and speakers (sensitivity, power, etc.). They put a spec out on a product better than the other competitor's product butthe spec of the competitor below is way better. In the end doing the audition is what will satisfy you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think your completely on the wrong track and you need to reverse your thinking. You see with the higher HP/L, all it means is the engine is pushed harder to get more out and is likely less efficient as a result and lower lifetime. Plus with the lower figure thats means there is more spare HP just waiting to be tapped, should one want to do a few mods as compared to an engine that is so tweeked its too hard and expensive to do otherwise. So look at it as a bonus if you really must argue onthe merit ofHP/L. The only advantage of higher HP/L is that a smaller and lower weight enginecan be used for the same given requirement.

This is one example why supercharging a N/A AMG produces more reliable HP than supercharging a N/A M car.

·
Registered
408 Posts
We all know why the Cayman makes moderate Hp per litre. It's more to do with the next model up than any other reason.

Exactly. It should be interesting to see Porsche's response to the new M3, as well as to other vehicles on the horizon. You can get a lot of bang for your buck these days...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
look at formula 1 cars, they all can crank up big hp with such a small engine, i dont remember the exact numbers, but i think 2.x liter for like 700+hp, maybe more. sport car has to be powerful and yet light weight enough so it can carry the weight.

F1 cars also needs new engine ever other race. i bet their gear box are overhauled every race too.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts