Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the great information and posts you guys have put up.

I'm looking at a 2006 CPO Cayman S with the following options

Sport Chrono
PASM
19" Wheels
Bi- Xenons
Preferred Package
PCM w/Nav
3-Spoke Sport steering wheel
Bose Package
4 new tires
and 8,600 miles.

Is $44,000 a good deal? Or, should I continue looking?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am curious why the dealer needs to install 4 new tires after only 8600 miles.
Nevertheless, it is a nicely equipped CPO car with very low mileage.
$44000 is a good starting point for negotiation.
If you can negotiate $4K to $5K down, I'll go for it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am not sure where you live, but the Cayman prices seem to vary by region. I just bought a CPO Cayman S last week and went through a month of negotiating on various models in the Los Angeles area. The Cayman is very popular here, so dealers try not to discount much. The automatics don't sell as well, so negotiating is easier. Here are a few cars that I negotiated on and the prices I was getting -

2006 Cayman S (just as you described, except without Nav, but it had adaptive sport seats!!) Seal Grey, with 4,400 miles - $46K asking price, negotiated down to $42,000

2006 Cayman S - manual, Nav, Preferred package with Bose, power seats, 32,000 miles - $45K asking price, negotiated to $40K

I ended up purchasing a manual 2007 CPO Cayman S (instead of a 2006) with Nav, power seats, preferred package with Bose, 19"wheels with 30,000 miles for $41,400.

The cars that sold quickly or right near asking price, or dealers weren't really budging on were those with PASM and adaptive sport seats. Cars with those options are harder to find, thus they are a little more in demand.

I would say a price of $42K on the car you listed is a very good price because it is fully loaded. You don't find too many Cayman S cars like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure about the tires, but I imagine they may not have met CPO standards if they were the original 4 1/2 year old tires.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking along the same lines, that a CS equipped like this one may be somewhat rare.....

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts

Sport Chrono
PASM
Sport ChronoII
19" Wheels
Bi- Xenons
Preferred Package
PCM w/Nav
Bose Package
4 new tires
and 8,600 miles.

Smith:

I bought Mine last May ('09) in Savannah, GA. '06 Arctic Silver/black CS, standard seats, PASM, 19"Carrera S wheels, Bi-Xenons, not Preferred Package, PCM w.Nav, 3 Spoke S.W.,Bose, original Michelin PS2, 16,000 miles for $38,600.

I found it on Ebay Motors. It was a a dealer in Savannah and was on the showroom floor in pristine condition when I went to pick it up. I'm very happy with this car. I've added a lot of stuff because I want it track-worthy but it was a superb machine out of the box.

I thought it was a stonking deal, so I agreed to the Buy It Now price. There was another Cayman Club member who wanted to inspect and talk the dealer down. I showed up with the deposit and agreed to the price first, so I got it.

In the end, getting the right car in good shape is more important than squeezing the last few bucks out of the dealer. If something is wrong with the dealer and you treat him fairly, your chances of him making things right are better.

For me, Bose was important. If you get a Bose car, make sure and stuff the subwoofer according to the Article. Search "Bose". You'll find it. E-Z, cheap and really improves the sound.

PASM is a must with 19" wheels on any 06/07/08 car. Get 18s if you have a standard suspension.

Nav is very handy. This version is kind of an outdated thing, but still useful. I use mine quite a bit.

Sport Chrono reduces the sensitivity of the stability control in Sport mode and makes the throttle map more aggressive. I like it, but you can get the throttle change with a cheap and easy to install item. You can also turn off PSM when you want to drive hard. Full "Normal" PSM when you drive hard will be hard on brakes and will be a little annoying because it comes on when you don't really want it. The Sport Chrono clock on the dash is near useless, so Sport Chrono is probably something one could live without.

I'm not sure what Preferred Package includes. I think self-dimming mirrors, which I don't like, and Climate Control, which I kinda wish I had. The manual control of the heat is a little strange. It would be nice not to have to deal with it.

I have stock seats. I think they're comfortable and I like them. They have a power recline control. The up and down is by a handle and fore and aft is a slider. They weigh less than full power seats and you get 1" more up and down and 1" more fore and aft travel with manual seats. I think they look great.

3-spoke sport wheel is a great option. I like the looks better than the standard wheel.

My PS2s were hard as rocks and that was over a year ago. I'm not surprised they replaced them. I replaced mine with Nitto NT-555s. They ride a lot better, are wearing well, look great and handle almost as well as the Michelins for less than half the price. It could be they replaced them because some had a repairs in them.

If I had 18" wheels, Summitomo HTR ZIII are a real deal. They don't last if you track them, but if you just drive on the street, they ride well and look great. For street/track, Bridgestone RE-11s are the non-race tire bomb. I'd be wary of RE11 in 19" because of the ride quality. It's a real performance tire and probably too harsh for me for an everyday tire. They don't make the Summi in 19". I'd have got them if they did.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Sport Chrono
PASM
19" Wheels
Bi- Xenons
Preferred Package
PCM w/Nav
Bose Package
4 new tires
and 8,600 miles.

I bought almost the same one but it had sport chrono PLUS on top. only the millage differs, mine had 60K miles, but it was 18K$ less than that price lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 06 S.
13000 miles
1 owner
Chrono sport package
19 wheels
short shift
warranty until nov 2010
Bixenon
PASM

Private party. Price 35.800 USD
For your info, the price of your car on the Manheim auto auction is around 38.000

I will recommend you wait more time, look on ebay, autotrader until a good deal showed up.
Dont buy form the dealer, they "bite " 4 to 5 K easily. and CPO is a trap!!!. As you know Porsche is a very dependable car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would wait. I got essentially the car you describe (in Atlas Grey) for around 38k. It had only 6,800 miles, so I didn't really care about a CPO. In fact, with the mileage that low, I was able to buy an aftermarket warranty, recommended and accepted by the local Porsche dealer, that added on 6 yrs, 60,000 miles for less than $3,000. This adds many more years, and was far cheaper, than CPO.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
sbrsport,

I disagree- aftermarket insurers have clauses that limit your warranty. Like "no electrical switches' (aka the alarm-sounding door switches) or 'bumper-to-bumper', (aka the corroding wheels happen to be under the bumpers!) (true stories on a Mercury Aftermarket Warrantly).

I think a cpo will actually cover this stuff.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am curious why the dealer needs to install 4 new tires after only 8600 miles.
Probably to meet the tolerances set forth by Porsche to qualify for CPO. It happens all the time.

Over all, it sounds like a good car that is reasonably priced.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree that a very low mileage Cayman from Private Party is a better deal. Private Party will always be much cheaper than the dealership with a CPO warranty. If the car has less than 10,000 miles, the CPO really doesn't matter much because it only lasts 2 years, which, for most owners, would put them into the 30,000 mile range by the time the CPO warranty expires. There isn't much that will go wrong in that mileage/time frame to warrant the CPO on it. Save $5K by going private party in that case, which should more than cover any issues the car could have in the next 2 years. I would say any Cayman under 20,000 miles would not need the CPO warranty, but thats just me.

Now, if the car is getting up there in mileage, get one that is CPO or aftermarket warranty.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I bought my 06 Cayman s in march '10, with 25k miles.
Adaptive sport seats, CF center console, CF package, Bose, auto climate, manual, metallic paint, bixeon, etc.
Original $72k sticker price
from a dealer with CPO warranty till Jan '13 for $34k.

They were asking $37k and didn't want to go below $35k, but I played hardball until I got what I wanted. They also replaced the mudflaps and front silver spoilers / ground effects as they were scratched up.

I've already spent $3k+ on it:
CF steering wheel & radio was $2500, then another $500 in misc. nicknacks.
http://www.masterofeverything.com/car/beforeNafter.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts

Sport Chrono
PASM
19" Wheels
Bi- Xenons
Preferred Package
PCM w/Nav
Bose Package
4 new tires
and 8,600 miles.

Depends what you want to do with the car. I paid $38K for my '06 CS with almost identical equipment and 16K miles....but no CPO, just a good history. I'm modding the heck out of my car, so the CPO is of minimal value. If you want to sleep at night and plan on leaving your car alone, this is a good deal.

In the end, the price isn't the important thing, getting the right car is the important thing. Make sure it's a good one or walk away. Quibbling over the last few bucks will assure that someone else will buy a good car out from under you.

I'd do it if the car is good. CPO and these low miles pretty much assures that. Price is a little high, but just a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.